Media The Day Pelé Settled The Score in The Ring... #1

Amazing thanks TS
Peles HL was one of the first ones I could find back in the day, remembre he 12to6 elbowed some poor guys ear off it hurts just remembering still to this day
WAR OLDSCHOOL!!!
Just saw the pic and remembered the Newton knee. He foking asked Newton if he was ok before continuing to fight iirc. Amazing haha
chow2.gif

Had he gotten the KO with this knee, jus´like Spider, he would have had a different [Pride] career...They also gave up on him too quickly...
...thats true...i dont know but his depature form Chute Boxe definetly didnt do him any favors with the Pride Staff.
I bet everybody had their own story about the finances...

I remember Pele as being the original scary guy in MMA, he was almost mythical back when I started watching in 95, it was years before I actually got to see him fight. He was like the boogeyman, heard about him but never seen him.
IVC was the only stuff I could get with him on back then
He was Wanderlei and Anderson Silva before they were if you know what I mean

Years Later I got to see him main event vs Lee Murray in Laaaaaandan

I was ringside for that helping photographyaand was starstruck when I saw Pele. I watched him on VHS and was amazed.
Nobody knew who he was in Wembley but I was certain he was gonna wreck Lee...

-_-

I was ringside for that helping photographyaand was starstruck when I saw Pele. I watched him on VHS and was amazed.
Nobody knew who he was in Wembley but I was certain he was gonna wreck Lee...

-_-
Pele had that mythical aura to him for me at the time, we'd seen his IVC fights on tape and then his couple of fights in Pride but his reputation was kind of mystical, we all expected to see something special.
Shit even just having the name Pele meant you were special!
Were you working for a magazine? If so which one

Was that fight really at the old Wembley Arena? Or was it just a venue in Wembley (which would suit my memory of the event better!) I have so little memory of where it was.

...thats true...i dont know but his depature form Chute Boxe definetly didnt do him any favors with the Pride Staff.
Pelé & Chuteboxe was a love-hate story... Since 1994, they would split & then come back together...

Love all these vids & stories. Man what a bunch of characters back in the day. It all sounds dangerous and not just for the fighters, also for those in attendance lol.

Pele had that mythical aura to him for me at the time, we'd seen his IVC fights on tape and then his couple of fights in Pride but his reputation was kind of mystical, we all expected to see something special.
Shit even just having the name Pele meant you were special!
Were you working for a magazine? If so which one

Was that fight really at the old Wembley Arena? Or was it just a venue in Wembley (which would suit my memory of the event better!) I have so little memory of where it was.
Yeah. Pele was one of the reasons I took up MMA. He and Leigh Remedios.

I actually didn't see the finish cos his crew were in the way of my sight.

Ringpics (what a name). My first kickboxing coach had the gig of photographing and I was uploading and charging batteries.

I am fairly certain it was the arena. I don't really know for sure as I had only been once but loads of security there and all red seats surrounding the stage. Ian Freeman pulled out of fighting Valentijn Overeem with a migraine.
Jason Black came over from Miletich camp.
That Dutch fella from UFC2 fought aswell I think. The Jujitsu guy. Or maybe that was another event. Was forever ago.

Love all these vids & stories. Man what a bunch of characters back in the day. It all sounds dangerous and not just for the fighters, also for those in attendance lol.
chow2.gif

The crowds were really somethin´different, the current ones are quite soft/nerdy tbh.

During this fight, ya can hear a kid shoutin´& abusin´ Pelé : "You junkie, you sniffer!"

Yeah. Pele was one of the reasons I took up MMA. He and Leigh Remedios.

I actually didn't see the finish cos his crew were in the way of my sight.

Ringpics (what a name). My first kickboxing coach had the gig of photographing and I was uploading and charging batteries.

I am fairly certain it was the arena. I don't really know for sure as I had only been once but loads of security there and all red seats surrounding the stage. Ian Freeman pulled out of fighting Valentijn Overeem with a migraine.
Jason Black came over from Miletich camp.
That Dutch fella from UFC2 fought aswell I think. The Jujitsu guy. Or maybe that was another event. Was forever ago.

Look at his rank progression on fight-matrix:

http://www.fightmatrix.com/fighter-profile/Jose+Landi-Jons/1386/

So much of his career was in promos that never got mass audiences in the western scene so he rarely gets talked about. One of the most under appreciated fighters ever.

Seems Pelé cant live without feudin´...
Now feud with Wallid:

Kindah weird... Seems Wallid called Spider the Pelé (soccer player) of MMA, and Pelé didnt like it...(not sure he understood the soccer reference...)

Feud again with Rudimar:

Pelé wants to fight with Macaco again, and since he´s Chuteboxe now, Rudimar´s gonna have to corner him...

@ Chuteboxe, this is only about...

Seems Pelé cant live without feudin´...
Now feud with Wallid:

Kindah weird... Seems Wallid called Spider the Pelé (soccer player) of MMA, and Pelé didnt like it...(not sure he understood the soccer reference...)

Feud again with Rudimar:

Pelé wants to fight with Macaco again, and since he´s Chuteboxe now, Rudimar´s gonna have to corner him...

@ Chuteboxe, this is only about...

...lol...he beefin with everybody...wtf

I'm pretty sure he got that soccer reference...
He probably called himself Pele after the great soccer Player...because he is that good at fighting...
Now somebody else calls Anderson the Pele of mma, thats a direct insult towards Pele's greatness (because he has the opinion, he is better than Silva) and is now pissed...
Where is Scott Coker when you need him?

I thought Macaco has his own Team for some time now?

And...i was actually just looking for some fight footage of Rudimar...couldnt find anything

He probably called himself Pele after the great soccer Player...because he is that good at fighting...
Now somebody else calls Anderson the Pele of mma, thats a direct insult towards Pele's greatness (because he has the opinion, he is better than Silva) and is now pissed...

And...i was actually just looking for some fight footage of Rudimar...couldnt find anything

Coker honestly needs to go after the Spider.

Macaco is Chuteboxe now & Rudimar said that he´s gonna corner him, which seems logical tbh... but Pelé didnt like it, he pretends that he´s the one who´s got Chuteboxe in his DNA...

Rudimar jus´dropped a massive interview:

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-day-sakakibara-asked-chuteboxe-to-kill-saku-38.3955161/

He´s tellin´about his 1st experience with the Vale Tudo world, I´ll translate it ASAP & drop a thread about it, pretty interestin´...

Last edited:
I'm kinda late to the party, but when I was in Curitiba last november I met to a cab driver who spoke to me about mma vs capoeira in the early days. He told me, that in the late eighties, early nineties a lot of the chute boxe guys had beef with basically everyone, but especially with capoeira. The cab driver who was a capoeira guy ended up fighting some chute boxe guys in the streets, but ended training there. He now trains with Ninja in his new gym (guy must be around 50 years old).

Pele also had beef with everyone, including with his own team. A dude with an extremely bad and unpredictable temper from what i've heard from people who trained with him. He even fought with some chute boxe members in the streets, often for barely any reason.

I don't know why Anderson was so disliked, I never met him but nobody seemed to like him, including the old guard and most pro fighters from Chute Boxe who trained there with him.

Puzzling, indeed..

Pelé was really an unlucky bashtard... Came to the spotlights a lil bit 2 soon, when the market wasnt ripe yet...

Then, in Pride, he had his chance... Against Ronin, Spider threw the very same knee and connected, while Pelé´s knee missed a lil bit the target...And Pelé ended up losing...

On a sidenote, probably due to the influence of his Vale Tudo days, Pelé could have sometimes a weird fight IQ...
Like, suddenly looking for the clinch, being the stronger man, throwing the other dude awkwardly, and ending on the bottom...
Agreed with the IQ thing.

He looked pretty awkward in his fight against Daijiro Matsui and that probably ended his Pride career.

I also heard he had issues with Chute Boxe for a while.

Agreed with the IQ thing.

He looked pretty awkward in his fight against Daijiro Matsui and that probably ended his Pride career.

I also heard he had issues with Chute Boxe for a while.

Dude had issues with everyone, depending on the mood he was in. He had issues with Chute Boxe while being in Chute Boxe, he had issues with Chute Boxe when he left, and over and over again.

I'm trying to remember the venue, I remember the weigh ins being held at a restaurant or night club but I can't remember where the fight was.
I get a feeling it was in a tiny venue where they often hold snooker events.
Little point of interest I found out about years later, Spencer Fisher missed weight that night and was unable to fight Jean Silva on the card.

I was a rare thing for this event, an MMA fan. I swear the place was filled with gangsters, thugs and wide boys, all white, mostly shaved heads and jewelry!
It was all ground level seating, nothing tiered, and my memory tells me we were al sitting real close to the cage.

I don't remember much, I do remember there were a number of fights through out the night outside of the cage, and that when Lee put Pele down the place went mental, really fucking rowdy and a few more fights broke out. Sounds cool but it was pretty intimidating! We left quite quickly after that even though the guys I was with were borderline thugs anyway. Have a feeling it was East London somewhere.

Jason Black was a stud by the way, really expected him to make waves in Pride and UFC when he got in but it wasn't to be

Ian Freeman was supposed to fight that night but I can't remember why it didn't happen

We went to a flithy strip club in Kingston afterwards and took a bunch of pills!

You described a good old Oi! gig from back in the days...guess it was probably the same kind of crowd

Back