The Common Threads

XTrainer

Red Belt
Reaction score
Without further introduction, I'm starting a thread that I hope will be a good reference of solid nutrition info. Basically, I want this thread to be a compilation of all of the nutrition/supplementation principles that virtually every reputable expert in the field agrees on. If in doubt, leave it out.

I'll start.

(In no particular order)
1. Eat your veggies.
2. Eat lots of lean protein.
3. Even if not absolutely essential, a quality, personally suitable multivitamin/mineral never hurt anybody.
4. Stay hydrated.
5. Avoid hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup like the plague.
7. Take fish oil.
8. Be mindful of excess sugar consumption.
9. Calories DO matter. Eat as needed for your goals.
10. Whole, natural foods (almonds) and foods relatively close to their whole state (almond butter) are superior to processed foods (Almond Joy).
11. Eat breakfast.

There's 11 off the top of my head, what do you have?

Added by other members:
12. Diet first, supplements second.
13. Eat a variety of foods.

Good thread. I've just woken up and can only come up with:
12. Diet first, supplements second.

Good list.
Might be a little stupid but...

4. Stay hydrated (with plenty of WATER)

12. Oatmeal is your friend

No. Even though I'm a big fan of oats, a lot of experts are not or only advocate them conditionally. Paleo guys and Berardi respectively, for example.

Eat every 2-3 hours tops.

No. Even though I'm a big fan of oats, a lot of experts are not or only advocate them conditionally. Paleo guys and Berardi respectively, for example.

I can't disagree with you there.

13. diversify your food, eat from a variety of sources.

10. Whole, natural foods (almonds) and foods relatively close to their whole state (almond butter) are superior to processed foods (Almond Joy).

I like that line.

ozzie said what I wanted to say. Too often do I get asked what supplements I'm taking and not how my diet looks.

That's kind of on the boundary of what I would consider universal agreement, but it is so well agreed upon by most experts that I think it stays.

Plenty of folks in the IF world would be to differ.

# 3 should b removed. some people can get too much iron from a daily multivitamin. plus, pretty much all of them are nonbioavailible industrial waste crap. fuck them.

# 3 should b removed. some people can get too much iron from a daily multivitamin. plus, pretty much all of them are nonbioavailible industrial waste crap. fuck them.

No.

1. Obviously you pick a multi that's right for your, whether that be iron free or something else entirely.
2. I said QUALITY multivitamin, as in bioavailable nutrients.

All foods can have their place as long as eaten in moderation.

There are plenty of iron free and generally heavy-****l free multivitamins. If you are picking a vitamin that is right for you, and don't respond well to too much iron, take a pill without. (Mega Men has no iron, so when my grandmother complained about not being able to find a multi that is good and iron free, I directed her to that.)

Absolutely no refined/processed grains/seeds.

I kind of disagree with this, on behalf of a lot of bulk-oriented people who have white flour as a staple of their diet.

he edited his post. it originally just said that a multi never hurt anyone.

Back