News The Boxing Association of Thailand is suing ONE Championship for violating the Boxing Act

TorontoTO

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Background of the lawsuit:

Pretty interesting development, though I'm not sure what teeth it may have. A lawsuit against ONE Championship (or at least its Lumpinee extension) for violating the Boxing Act of 2002, in presenting a sport that is not Muay Thai, but calling it "Muay Thai". Basically, this is a push back on the appropriation of the cultural heritage of the sport, and the Thai government's inability to regulate it. Over the last near decade the regulation of Muay Thai proper was circumvented under the auspices of "Entertainment Muay Thai". These shows were considered not "sport" per se, but rather only entertainment, grouped together with non-sport shows. This struggle has deep political roots, going back more than a decade ago when MMA was not legal in the country (unsanction), under the argument that its introduction would threaten Thailand's Muay Thai. At the time it seemed quite unrealistic that a few MMA shows would threaten anything about Thailand's Muay Thai which seemed sewn into the very culture...but, Chatri did gain government permission to put on a big MMA show in Bangkok (combined with a rock concert...hence, the entertainment notion) which really helped break open this impasse. At the time Chatri argued that an MMA fight promotion really is no different than a rock concert. Fighters and singers are basically the same.
Now, 10 years later, quite unexpectedly the renown National stadia weight classes and belts have vanished (not MMA's fault, but the demise is not unrelated to Entertainment fighting), Lumpinee Stadium has transformed into an arena which does not host traditional Muay Thai but does host MMA, and the same arguments that were being used to keep MMA out of the country a decade ago are now being used in a lawsuit directed at ONE.
In a sense what we have is a country's political will to control the heritage of its culture in sport, through regulation. In some sense it's not all that different from when France felt that international businesses making sparkling wine and calling it "Champagne" were a threat to the high, regulated standards of the famous wine of the Champagne region, the heritage of that wine and what it meant to the cultural standing of France itself. This lawsuit appears to be pushing back on the commercial appropriation of the name of "Muay Thai" itself.

SIDENOTE

Did not know Lumpinee titles were disbanded, when did that happen?

What a load of shit. Does the Thai government have nothing better to do?

Lmao, Thailand government sounds poor.

i always love the "cultural necessity" of two men giving each other head trauma needing to stay true to its roots.

I think they have a point.

3 x 3 rounds with MMA gloves and excessive clinch breaking.

I think theirs reason to not just accept this as "Muay Thai" especially in Thailand. It's a modified form of the sport.

That's not to say I don't enjoy the format, but it looks like their is stuff written into law regulating this.

I'm honestly pretty sympathetic to countries wanting to hold on to what they view as cultural heritage, whatever that may be. Especially with technology and the internet homogenizing everything.

That said, if I had to bet, the driving force of these kinds of thing is nearly always money. Cultural arguments are just something to throw the plebes.

Also Muay Thai with MMA gloves kind of annoys me.

If they are to call it Muay Thai it must use Muay Thai rules.

"if you are going to call a match Muay Thai, it needs to follow very specific rules and regulation, otherwise it’s just, “Sparkling Kickboxing.” - (the Director of Boxing) Palat Suwannametakorn

- He has taken legal matters to stop ONE from calling its fights and Muay Thai championship belt “Muay Thai.”

Frankly, I think he is right.

I'm honestly pretty sympathetic to countries wanting to hold on to what they view as cultural heritage, whatever that may be. Especially with technology and the internet homogenizing everything.

That said, if I had to bet, the driving force of these kinds of thing is nearly always money. Cultural arguments are just something to throw the plebes.

Also Muay Thai with MMA gloves kind of annoys me.
Not cultual heritage issue. The issue is rules. Lethwei and kickboxing could be called Muay Thai except for rules. One has different rules so it is NOT Muay Thai but One's version, they just need to name it.

I think they have a point.

3 x 3 rounds with MMA gloves and excessive clinch breaking.

I think theirs reason to not just accept this as "Muay Thai" especially in Thailand. It's a modified form of the sport.

That's not to say I don't enjoy the format, but it looks like their is stuff written into law regulating this.
That still doesn't pass the smell text to me. There have been shows, in Thailand, that have been useing mma gloves for at leasthalf a decade now. I grant you that the 10 point must system is a separation from tradition, it hardly seems to be worth suing over.

It's possible that ONE is being targeted over these other shows is due to it's size and prominance. Or perhaps the real issue is that ONE cards have KB and mma matches with Muay thai fights, there by diluting the "purity" of the sport by association.

Either way, the "entertainment Muay Thai", it is derisively called, seems to be the future of the sport. A large amount of promoters are quickly adapting to fit this trend. Look at Thai Fight, MAX Muay Thai, the format changes at Lumpini or the recent Raja World Series. It's the format the fans prefer, one that appeals to a greater audience, not just internationally but also domestically within Thailand.

While I can appreciate the desire to preserve the authentic thai in Muay Thai, it has long since out grown the strict confines of Thailand's borders, snd the strict letter of it's cultural roots. It seems like they desire the best of both worlds, having international exposure and tourism dollars, without suffering the taint of outside cultural influences on it's product. Had they wanted to retain this cultural integrity, they shouldn't have endorsed muay thai as an international sport.

Regardless of where you, I, Sherdog, or even the Thai government stand, the sport is going to grow where and how it is going to grow. Muay Thai will always be Thai by root and spirt, but it has become a phenomenon in and unto itself.

So what if ONE just change the name to Thai-boxing for the shows in Thailand and keep calling it Muay Thai in all their other shows?

That still doesn't pass the smell text to me. There have been shows, in Thailand, that have been useing mma gloves for at leasthalf a decade now. I grant you that the 10 point must system is a separation from tradition, it hardly seems to be worth suing over.

It's possible that ONE is being targeted over these other shows is due to it's size and prominance. Or perhaps the real issue is that ONE cards have KB and mma matches with Muay thai fights, there by diluting the "purity" of the sport by association.
But they aren't calling those fights "Muay Thai"... it's Kard Chuek or things like "MAX Muay Thai".

Either way, the "entertainment Muay Thai", it is derisively called, seems to be the future of the sport. A large amount of promoters are quickly adapting to fit this trend. Look at Thai Fight, MAX Muay Thai, the format changes at Lumpini or the recent Raja World Series. It's the format the fans prefer, one that appeals to a greater audience, not just internationally but also domestically within Thailand.
Does Thai Fight exist anymore?

That's kind of beside the point anyway though. Whether it's becoming popular or not has no bearing on if it meets the legal qualifications for being called "Muay Thai".

While I can appreciate the desire to preserve the authentic thai in Muay Thai, it has long since out grown the strict confines of Thailand's borders, snd the strict letter of it's cultural roots. It seems like they desire the best of both worlds, having international exposure and tourism dollars, without suffering the taint of outside cultural influences on it's product. Had they wanted to retain this cultural integrity, they shouldn't have endorsed muay thai as an international sport.
Again this is all beside the point. If we add elbows to Kickboxing are we still calling it Kickboxing? They have every right and desire to maintain cultural integrity of a sport that is literally named after them and taking place within their country. Their was no attempt to sue ONE for calling it "Muay Thai" in other countries.

Regardless of where you, I, Sherdog, or even the Thai government stand, the sport is going to grow where and how it is going to grow. Muay Thai will always be Thai by root and spirt, but it has become a phenomenon in and unto itself.
This has nothing to do with legal matters of a regulated sport in their country. If their are requirements needed from a rule set perspective to be called "Muay Thai" they need to be followed in order to be called that. Just because this modified rule set is entertaining it doesn't mean you can just ignore that.

Just call the fights Muay FC. Done

Boy.
I didn't think I'd feel so strongly about Muay Thai but this needs a full blown debate.
Not that I think this thread will have any influence on the matter but it raises some excellent points on both sides.

Government aside, I am mostly in the boat of "Muay Thai" (in Thailand) needs to be kept as Muay Thai. The fight and the culture are interwoven.

It is difficult to understand that outside of Thailand.

A poor analogy may be football.
Try calling NFL "football" in the UK and listen to the reply.

When within the culture where the sport grew, then preserve it and respect it.
When outside of that, do what you will.

It's always been the case that "International Muay Thai" and "Stadium Muay Thai" have been different. Even with the same rules, Muay Thai say in the US for example isn't scored like the Stadiums and their is a higher emphasis on punches. We've all known this.

The difference now is that this is happening not just in Thailand but Lumpinee stadium of all places.

I think this is a totally understandable reaction whether you like or even prefer this modified rule set or not.

I can see both sides of this...

I think they have a point , its not Muay Thai by the standards of the country who created the sport...so they would know...

That said ...

They lose me when only pursuing the name change...i mean if your that concerned about the heritage why not tell them they can put actual Muay Thai fights in Thailand only with the proper set up to keep the tradition going properly...if One fc can put on kickboxing matches im sure full rules Muay Thai shouldn't be a problem...just seems kinda petty to go after just the naming of it...

One FC's side of this is ... we'll we are putting money making shows on in your town and stadium and that continues your combat legacy already and it also leads a newer generation of fighters...why get upset at us ...you could always you know throw your own full Muay Thai shows ...to keep the tradition alive and such

Boy.
I didn't think I'd feel so strongly about Muay Thai but this needs a full blown debate.
Not that I think this thread will have any influence on the matter but it raises some excellent points on both sides.

Government aside, I am mostly in the boat of "Muay Thai" (in Thailand) needs to be kept as Muay Thai. The fight and the culture are interwoven.

It is difficult to understand that outside of Thailand.

A poor analogy may be football.
Try calling NFL "football" in the UK and listen to the reply.

When within the culture where the sport grew, then preserve it and respect it.
When outside of that, do what you will.

You definitely cannot sue the NFL for calling their brand of football, football in the UK. Also people in the UK just call it American Football for the distinction. There is no legality over it it is simply for clarity.

There is Rugby Union and Rugby League - you can call both of them Rugby. That analogy makes way more sense than the football one.

MMA rules in the UFC and Rizin differ just as much if not more than ONE and traditional MT and no one would say UFC and Rizin are not MMA.

You really think this guy is suing for cultural reasons? Say that out loud, someone is making a LAW SUIT for cultural preservation?

Last edited:
Back