News The Boxing Association of Thailand is suing ONE Championship for violating the Boxing Act

*You definitely cannot sue the NFL for calling their brand of football, football in the UK. Also people in the UK just call it American Football for the distinction. There is no legality over it it is simply for clarity.

*You really think this guy is suing for cultural reasons? Say that out loud, someone is making a LAW SUIT for cultural preservation?
I just want to be clear of my points, not to argue.

I said it is a poor analogy and I knew it was because the cultural importance pales in comparison.

I also started with "Government aside..." because I don't care for their agenda, but even without their agenda, it has a need for cultural preservation.

I think they have a point, but some of their comments are just ridiculous, like about the fighters needing to wear ostentatious clothing, etc. LOL. There is definitely a difference, and they have a right to defend their cultural heritage and what they believe is right. People don't do that enough, imo.

But they aren't calling those fights "Muay Thai"... it's Kard Chuek or things like "MAX Muay Thai".
So you're saying that making and agnologing the distinction between one's "muay thai" and traditional muay thai would help clear up this grievance?

Does Thai Fight exist anymore?
Fuck if I know, probably not. :( It was a great show
That's kind of beside the point anyway though. Whether it's becoming popular or not has no bearing on if it meets the legal qualifications for being called "Muay Thai".

This has nothing to do with legal matters of a regulated sport in their country. If their are requirements needed from a rule set perspective to be called "Muay Thai" they need to be followed in order to be called that. Just because this modified rule set is entertaining it doesn't mean you can just ignore that.

Perhaps I have some fundamental misunderstanding about the letter of Thailand's law in this regard. From what I can see the rule set is muay thai outside of the scoring system. The problem with the clinch doesn't seem to be one's rules per se, but a descritonary choice by the referee(s).

Or is the problem more to do with the lack of traditional aspects of muay thai- the Wai Kru, using a ring instead of a cage, ext.?

I'm legitimately curious. The more I think about it about the issue, the more nuances become apparent. I'm obviously not Thai, and from my perspective this is the more approachable format which has the wider appeal. If I were at the helm I would let this slide and see it as a necessary evil, because ONE does help spread the culture, flawed though it may be. But again I am not Thai and it's clear that the cultural and ritual parts of Muay Thai are fundamentally, spiritually important in a way that a secular westerner, like myself, will never fully understand.

What do you think one should have done and/ or should do going forward?

I just want to be clear of my points, not to argue.

I said it is a poor analogy and I knew it was because the cultural importance pales in comparison.

I also started with "Government aside..." because I don't care for their agenda, but even without their agenda, it has a need for cultural preservation.

I'm sure Muay Thai has changed quite a bit in the past century. I mean Lumpinee itself is not even old, my dad is older than Lumpinee and I'm a millennial.

Cultural preservation and tradition are basically only used when it is convenient imo. Plenty of things have changed about Thailand and are going to continue to change.

Nothing wrong with that - some rich Thai guys calling a sport where you can kick, elbow, knee, punch and clinch for a bit Muay Thai hardly seems damaging to Thai's culture compared to about a 1000 other things that have happened in the country just in the past decade alone.

I agree with the core element of your point but I think here it is just not that all that damaging to the "culture". Also, it is pretty much inevitable something like this would happen and it's also a bit petty. ONE change's it to "ONE's Muay Thai!" and all of a sudden Thailand's culture is preserved?

I have no problem with the glove thing. If anything, isn't "real muay thai" done with rope gloves?

not
I have no problem with the glove thing. If anything, isn't "real muay thai" done with rope gloves?
not really, the only right metaphysical definition of muay thay involves the presence of bettors ringside so we can have the first 2 rounds of nothing happening

All this “cultural things” are so reactionary, like is not a business thing anyway

They call that Kard Cheuk.

I think the point people are missing is they aren't going after ONE for calling it "Muay Thai" with a cage and all that in other regions, they are putting shows on in Thailand in Lumpinee Stadium which also has Muay Thai taking place there with a different rule set. You go see Muay Thai there on Thursday, then go back on Friday and it's not the same rules and format. I think it makes sense to have a distinction between the two. Even if it was something as simple as calling it "ONE Muay Thai".

You can't just downplay the "cultural" aspect, their are A LOT of religious and superstitious things built into the sport of Muay Thai and the Thai people are very religious and superstitious. This is a HUGE aspect of their culture.

I think the point people are missing is they aren't going after ONE for calling it "Muay Thai" with a cage and all that in other regions, they are putting shows on in Thailand in Lumpinee Stadium which also has Muay Thai taking place there with a different rule set. You go see Muay Thai there on Thursday, then go back on Friday and it's not the same rules and format. I think it makes sense to have a distinction between the two. Even if it was something as simple as calling it "ONE Muay Thai".

You can't just downplay the "cultural" aspect, their are A LOT of religious and superstitious things built into the sport of Muay Thai and the Thai people are very religious and superstitious. This is a HUGE aspect of their culture.
They call their fights under muay thai global rules set

Maybe i'm too jaded but it reeks of wanting a payoff to me. The guys exploiting muay thai fighters for years want their cut.

The way they call their rules set during every fights, what they have to do more?
I mean they are not trying to replace the lumpinee competition
How is that a "global rule set" when they are literally the only promotion using that rule set?

In California where I'm from Muay Thai = Boxing gloves and 5 rounds.

I don't think anyone is claiming they are trying to replace the Lumpinee competition, although I could see how someone could have that concern.

Maybe i'm too jaded but it reeks of wanting a payoff to me. The guys exploiting muay thai fighters for years want their cut.
I'm sure that's part of the equation and an understandable reaction.

IFMA (muay thai) and WAKO (kickboxing), have received official IOC recognition and are vying to be included in the Olympics. One will likely get the nod, possibly as soon as as the 2028 games.
More important than ever that Muay Thai rules get protected and defined. Sue One!!!!

More important than ever that Muay Thai rules get protected and defined. Sue One!!!!
Yeah, that is one of the potential road blocks for the sport to get into the Olympics. The fact that muay thai is so closely interwoven into national, cultural, and spiritual identity could derail its chances. Look at what's happening with the SEA games, it's clear that cultural animosity is rearing its ugly head. If I were a betting man, I'd say that WAKO ( k-1 kickboxing) gets in due to the lack of that kind of baggage.

Back