The Bisping effect

terrible analysis at best - bisping talks sht, that part is true

he gets hype before hand, mainly because people want to see him get humbled

hes got good cardio and well rounded skills, we respect that - hes a good fighter

hes got a big ass contract w the ufc because hes huge in england - hes been protected for these reasons, and he loses when he gest to the top - now its happening again - im not counting out bisping, but thats just the pattern

Where do you people get this from??? He isn't huge in England. He isn't even big. 95% of the people over here don't have a clue who he is.
He the best known MMA fighter in the UK, but MMA is still very much a niche sport.

terrible analysis at best - bisping talks sht, that part is true

he gets hype before hand, mainly because people want to see him get humbled

hes got good cardio and well rounded skills, we respect that - hes a good fighter

hes got a big ass contract w the ufc because hes huge in england - hes been protected for these reasons, and he loses when he gest to the top - now its happening again - im not counting out bisping, but thats just the pattern

Yet another stupid post regarding Bisping from you. Do you even do any research before you post? Bisping is not a huge draw in England. Literally nobody I know has even heard of him. He got a big ass contract and gets paid a tonne of money because he is a huge draw in the states. We dont get ppv, and don't pay for cards like you guys do.

Also, the fallacy of him being protected comes out once again.

Matt Hammill, Rashad Evans, Chris Leben, Dan Henderson, Denis Kang, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Miller, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Mayhem Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann and now Vitor Belfort. Yeah, he's been fighting nobodies his entire career.

Where do you people get this from??? He isn't huge in England. He isn't even big. 95% of the people over here don't have a clue who he is.
He the best known MMA fighter in the UK, but MMA is still very much a niche sport.

I'd argue that Alex Reid is better known in the uk tbh.

On top of that, it was further proof that bisping can't handle a-level fighters. Each time he fights good guys, he gets creamed. .
Lol, okay. He really got 'creamed' in all those close decisions he lost....

I didn't think Stann was fired up in the weigh ins, him and Bisping were just goofing around.

ive seen it said that he has a strong contract - you can do research on that if you feel like, i havent seen his contract of course - he gets paid more than people of equal skills as far as ive seen - i understand its a niche sport, but i think the ufc has put a lot of faith in him as its draw in england - lots of people think hes been protected because he hasnt fought a lot of the elite fighters at MW but hes fought a lot of people where he comes in as the betting favorite - its pretty clear to me that hes important to the ufc and isnt just another fighter, and to me its the international angle - ufc has said that it was all about english expansion

ive noticed that some english fans clearly and blindly defend bisping for whatever reason - no one else would disagree with what i said minus english fans, or at least, thats what ive come to expect - so maybe he has more english support than those who live in england think - i think hes a draw in england, and otherwise the way the ufc treats him wouldnt make sense to me

Last edited:
Here is a list of Michael Bisping's last four opponents: Brian Stann, Chael Sonnen, Jason Miller, and Jorge Rivera. Also, as we all know, he'll be facing Belfort this weekend. Bisping has had a way of getting under his opponent's skin which probably started long ago, but for this thread's sake we'll start with Jorge Rivera.

Jorge Rivera fight: Jorge made a series of youtube videos making fun of Bisping which, in my eyes, ended up backfiring. Rivera went from calling Bisping a dick to apologizing and saying he didn't mean to involve Bisping's family in the jokes, he wasn't implying Bisping had an STD, etc. By weigh in day Rivera was really emotional and clearly fazed where they had a final verbal exchange. Bisping went on to acknowledge the crowd while Rivera was left sullen.

Jason Miller fight: Throughout the season Bisping obviously got under Jason's skin. (as did Jason but probably to a lesser degree) Miller was so emotional that he ended up gassing within the first few minutes while Bisping beat up on him for the next few rounds.

Chael Sonnen fight: Can't say anything about this one. It looked like everyone thought, Sonnen included, he was going to run through Bisping. He appeared too confident to even think about letting Bisping get to him.

Brian Stann fight: Stann has been regarded as the cool-headed fighter that is unlikely to be disconcerted by anything since his tour(s) oversees, before this fight, that is. He didn't engage in trash talk or anything like that, but WAS uncharacteristically fired up at weigh ins where he exchanged some words with Michael and was hopping around. Now I doubt Bisping got to him but he did get him to show SOME emotion, which is probably the most anyone will get out of Brian Stann.

and finally....

Vitor Belfort fight: Who knows what transpire in the following days but what we have seen thus far is Vitor fired up (changed staredown pose and shouting at Bisping immediately after the staredown) We can all agree that Vitor is a little crazy but when have we ever seen him like this?

Im not implying that he won these fights because he got under people's skin. (maybe who knows?) I am saying that he has an uncanny ability to rile his opponents without getting overly emotional to the point where his own performance is not compromised. This is now dubbed as, wait for it, "The Bisping Effect." These are all observations of one man which is something to take into consideration if anyone is even reading this.

Dreamcatcher10

Nah.

Mayhem was in terrible shape for the fight.

It was Rivera who got under Bisping's skin, badly, not the other way around. Bisping won simply because he was a fresher, better fighter, there was nothing psychological to it.

Sonnen wasn't remotely fazed by Bisping in any way, and beat him over 3 rounds.

I don't think Stann was particularly unnerved either. He was respectful yet aggressive, the way he always is, and Bisping beat him by being more well-rounded.

I don't see it. And I doubt Belfort potentially being irked will have any bearing on him throwing leather at Mike's head tonight.

I think the mental/psychological aspect of the game is way overstated on this forum. Rarely does it play a major role. More often than not, the more skilled and the more well-conditioned fighter wins, regardless of whether they indulge in "mind games" beforehand. You can be the most iron-willed psychological master in the world, but if you get clonked on the skull with a big shot, you're eating canvas anyway.

There are so many examples of fighters (using fan terminology) "getting under the other fighter's skin", and then getting their ass royally kicked anyway. BJ Penn definitely got under GSP's skin, badly, before their rematch, and as well I do believe that Penn went into the fight very confident and motivated... but, the bigger, more well-conditioned guy dominated. MMA is a physical and technical pursuit first and foremost. People just say "it's all mental" because they think it makes them sound intelligent.

Back