The big herbal remedy post

Vilo Magee

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
I am going to post a whole bunch of herbal remdy stuff for all kinds of different ailments. If you have used any of the herbs i post please write out what you thought ect. hope fully this will help some of you out.

Ginseng- Increases circulation & gives energy. This is the traditional "longivity" herb.
Ginkgo Biloba- ginkgo seems to increase brain function & is one of the herbs being studied for Alzheimers Disease.
Milk Thistle- promotes liver function & is an antioxident
Echinacea- boosts the immune system
Garlic- helpful for many conditions
Hawthorne- a spectacular herb for normalizing heart function
Valerain Root- useful for the insomnia which afflicts many older (and not so old) people.
Red Clover- cleanses the blood
Fenugreek eliminates mucus & soothes the mucus membranes.
Thyme has strong antibiotic properties
Cayenne disinfects & stimulates to help clear the system of congestion.
Goldenseal is wonderful for the mucus membranes & has antibiotic properties for reducing inflammation & infection.Mullein helps control coughs & loosens congestion
Ginger Root- useful for the nausea that accompanies the flu. Use 2 capsules up to 4 times daily.
Echinacea- One of natures best infection fighters. Builds the immune system. Take 2 capsules ever 4 hours.
Goldenseal- A potent antibiotic ( sometimes works better than penicillan) Also very beneficial to the mucus membranes. 2 capsules up to 3 times daily
Slippery Elm-Useful for coughs & sore throats. Mix 1 tablespoon slippery elm bark powder with 1 cup of boiling water & 1/2 cup of honey. Take 1 teaspoonof this mixture every 3 or 4 hours. Can be taken hot or cold.
Cayenne- cayenne is a catalyst (helps other herbs work better) & also helps with the congestion & headaches. 1 capsule every 4 hours
Garlic- Natures cure-all. Builds immune system, natural antibiotic & antiviral. Take in capsules or fresh cloves. 2 capsules every 4 hours
Willow Bark- willow bark has many of the properties of aspirin with out aspirins side effects. Very useful for the aches which accompany the flu
Mint- Mint is also helpful with the nausea. Make a tea of 1 teaspoonful per cup of boiling water. Steep for 4 minutes, strain, add honey to taste & drink. May be used as needed

Astragalus- is an herb from China (Isn't everything anymore)
Anyway,It has been used there for centuries. We in the western world are just now learning of its benefits. One of the most exciting possibilities is its ability to enhance the immune system .This makes it a candidate for study in helping in the fight against aids & cancer.
Astragalus seems to prevent the spread of malignant cancer cells to healthy tissue.
It is also of use to people who have impaired immune systems due to chemotherapy and/or radiation.Some herbalists are routinely giving it to these patients. It is currently being further researched

Black cohosh- is a native American woodland plant. Growing up to 5 feet tall, it has beautiful white feathery flowers in mid summer. It is a nice plant to grow just for its looks,however it is the roots which contain the medicinal properties.
Black Cohosh can be used alone or in herbal combinations (see herbal combinations) It is a valuable herb in the treatment of menopause. Because of its relaxant properties, it can help with the mood swings associated with menopause. It also seems to help with the hot flashes & night sweats that many women expeirence.

uses for black cohosh

Menopausal discomforts
Relaxant
Helps with some types of pain,
especially menstrual cramps

I have used a lot of herbs and a few are a staple of mine. I have a big library of them on my site, I will provide a link.

Chaparral- is a potent healer & cleanser. It has the ability to cleanse deep in the muscles & tissue walls. It works on the lymphatic system as it tones & rebuilds tissues. Chaparral seems to influence the body by inhibiting unwanted rapid growth. It is a strong antioxidant. It is one of the best herbal antibiotics. It is high in protein & potassium. It has been used in folk medicine as a cancer treatment.

Chamomile
Chamomile is another versatile herb. Good for digestion (upset stomach) it is gentle enough for children. Remember the childrens story "Peter Rabbit" ? He was given chamomile tea. It has a relaxing effect, but doesn't "drug you" It is good externally for soothing sunburn & skin irritations. It can also be used in hair rinses & cosmetics. This is one you'll want to have on hand.

St. John's Wort
St. John's wort contains hypericin, a compound that is being researched for a variety of ailments most notably anxiety & depression. It seems to act like the prescription medicine Prozac without any of Prozacs side effects. It calms & soothes but doesn't make you feel "drugged". St. John's wort is also used externally as it promotes the healing of wounds especially infected ones.

Comfrey
Comfrey has been used for generations to heal wounds but only recently have we found out why. Comfrey contains allantoin, a substance that helps stimulate the growth of new cells. Today it is used in many cosmetics & ointments.

Feverfew
Feverfew is another old time remedy that is regaining it's popularity. It has been used as a remedy for pain, just as aspirin & codeine are used today

Garlic
Garlic is the wonder drug of the herb world. This amazing herb does everything from aid in treating ear infections to help prevent cancer & heart disease.

Fenugreek- is one of the oldest known medicinal plants.It is a popular remedy for colds & sore throats & studies have been done that shows that it may help insulin dependent diabetics.It seems to reduce blood sugar & other harmful fats in the blood. The seeds are where the medicinal value lies. I can personally recommend this as an expectorant.It definatly beats the commercial ones. An excellent expectorant
Lowers blood sugar
As a gargle for sore throats
Useful externally as a skin wash for irritations & inflammations

Horsetail is a primitive plant that looks like small bamboo.It is very high in silica (which it is also known as) This herb is for the bones, hair & nails. If you have weak nails,dull hair or just want to improve the looks of both, try taking horsetail. You'll be improving your appearance plus strenthening your bones.

Licorice is a source of the female hormone estrogen. This alone would make it an important herb but licorice contains many other medicinal properties.

Licorice is an excellent herb to use during drug withdrawal whether it be nicotine, caffiene , prescription & non prescription drugs. It raises the blood sugar thus helping to reduce cravings. It contains vitamins B-complex ,vitamin E & glycosides which can help purge the body of the drugs.
menopausal systems
hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
energy builder
expectorent
drug withdrawal

Lobelia is a powerful herb. it is the strongest relaxant in the herb kingdom This makes it useful for nervousness & stress.
. It has recently shown to be very helpful for those who are trying to break the nicotine habit, as it contains lobeline, which is similar to nicotine. This helps people with the withdrawal symptoms.
It also seems to help remove congestion from the body making it useful for chest colds & pneumonia

oat STRAW is also very beneficial.
It is good for the heart, nerves, insomnia & indigestion.
Oatstraw is high in calcium, phosphorus, vitamins B1, B2, A & E

Saw palmetto is mainly used today for enlarged prostate. However it is also an excellent expectorant, really helps clear the chest of congestion. In Germany it is used to treat benign prostate enlargement.

Passionflower-This is an excellent tranquilizer. It relieves muscle tension & is especially good with nervous insomnia. ( the kind where you lie awake worrying about things) It can also relieve tension headaches.

Green tea is creating a lot of interest & rightly so, as it does great things for the body. I will list some of it's uses, but to further study on it, please click on the link below. The site has much detailed information.
Some of green tea's many uses
Lowers blood pressure
Lowers cholestral
Lowers blood sugar
Plays a roll in preventing cancer

i'll vouch for chamomile soothing the stomach, great to drink if you feel sick from overeating. Mint for nausea, I never realized but lots when my stomach is cheezy gum makes it feel better. Echinacea when I am sick or have a cold, if nothing else than the placebo effect. By the way, has anyone taken kelp?

Good post Boomer.

I have used alot of herbs and just recently planted a bunch of them in a little herbal garden mini greenhouse thing I bought.

Comfrey is a little known but very helpfull herb that I used when i was cut. i did not believe it worked as well as people were claiming until i used it. the cut healed super fast and healed very welll. i recomend it to anyone

Interesting stuff. Must the herbs in capsule form be taken every 4 hours or can I take one big dose in the morning? Also, some green powders such as NOW Foods' brand contain some of these herbs - is that a good way to get some of these or should I stick to capsules?

I"m a big fan of valarian. You'll get used to the incredibly pungent oder of it and it'll really relax you and have you fall alseep within 30 mins to an hour.

I have read studies on Ginko Biloba and it only shows to increase mental function in people with decreased mental function. Therefore for most of us it doesn't help at all.

I have tried the local grocery store version of Kava Kava and had no effects except a putrid taste and some numbing of my lips and toung.

Back