The anomaly of Derek Brunson

He came into the UFC with a wrestle heavy style that usually worked thanks to his pedigree and athleticism. Somewhere along the way he realized he could punch and became more reliant on that, which has led to his downfall on more than one occasion.

Going in to his fight against Theodorou, he stands to have every physical advantage. Yet, despite being faster, stronger, a better wrestler, and much more powerful striker, he is a slight underdog.

He switched camps for this fight and is definitely at a crossroads in his career. Do you think he can put it all together tonight, or do you think Elias will outsmart, outwork, smother and frustrate him???
LOL Elias is going to handle this kid. 1st round KO. He was 202 pounds 3 hours after weigh ins. Derek isn't going to shock the world tonight. Hes the underdog in every department. Speed, good looks, power, fight IQ etc.

Dont blink.

Top 5 elias is going to be a beast

It's a good style match up for Brunson because Elias offers not much more than some slick movement and point fighting, mainly using kicks. He doesn't offer much of a threat to finish the fight by strikes so Brunson should be able to walk through his attack and land his power shots. Brunson has to come out and take the fight early before Elias gets into his rhythm and Brunson starts to get tired and the power shots is no longer there. Brunson has several first round knock outs.

Low fight iq for sure. He could have some more significant wins if it weren't for that flaw. He coulda beat Whittaker if he took his time some more after hurting him instead of rushing in. He was on his way to beating Romero had he stalled a bit in the last rd. Now recently, he's just been getting outclassed albeit, by high level comp. If he loses to Theo of all people, that'll solidify him as a "could have been but never was" type fighter

Prime Brunson was a beast

Pretty crazy that old man Anderson beat him (5-1 at the time, with 5 KOs). It shows how great Anderson Silva is, to take a risky fight like this and still pull it off at 43 years old
BAIT! BAIT!!!!

It's a good style match up for Brunson because Elias offers not much more than some slick movement and point fighting, mainly using kicks. He doesn't offer much of a threat to finish the fight by strikes so Brunson should be able to walk through his attack and land his power shots. Brunson has to come out and take the fight early before Elias gets into his rhythm and Brunson starts to get tired and the power shots is no longer there. Brunson has several first round knock outs.

I 100% agree. Brunson should fairly get the easy KO in this fight. Elias hates pressure and I think Brunson will pressure for the KO.

Pretty crazy that old man Anderson beat him (5-1 at the time, with 5 KOs). It shows how great Anderson Silva is, to take a risky fight like this and still pull it off at 43 years old
but Anderroid didnt really beat him

His striking is white belt shit

His KO’s are mostly of old Brazilians

And il never forgive him for that ending to the Leben fight
Yeah that one stuck with me
That’s hilarious. That was an awkward loud celebration for such a shit performance lol.

Journeyman. How is this guy even worth a thread?

The weird thing about Brunson is how utterly terrified he is of everyone he fights

Many people saying he has a glass jaw, but I don't know if that's true. He's just leaves himself open for direct hits from power shots and counters. He is not getting stopped from weak shit.

Anyway hope he shows improvement. I wouldn't say he's out of his "prime" tet either. Physically he's still imposing. He has just never put it all together mentally and in his technique.

He's the 185 version of OSP.. athletic guy who has some ground game but falls in love with trying to get the KO, and ends up losing every other fight as a result.

7 losses, 5 times finished by (T)KO, 2 times by SD and UD vs Silva (many believe he won it)

I don't think the boxing led to his downfall.
He won many fights in UFC thanks to his boxing.
He just isn't that good vs guys like Jacare, Whittaker, Adesanya, Romero. He doesn't have the fight IQ, he isn't a top wrestler or a top boxer.
Of course he is slight underdog, he was finished in his last 2 fights and he is 2-4 right now.
Theodorou was never finishes, he is 16-2, on 3 fights winning streak.
I am watching his loss vs Thiago Santos, curious to know how he lost the decision.
Santos was much bigger, in the first place.
Theodorou dropped him with a kick in the 1st round and dominated the round.
He lost badly the last round. The fight could have been a tie.

He had a good chin, he took some good shots from Santos.
His cardio was bad, though.

xTk9ZRp0dyVL4ILuz6.gif
Not a fan of Elias and cant believe im saying this but thats a pretty sick front kick. Hahahha

that fight was a robbery

Elias has a knack for absolute stinker decisions. Wouldn't surprise me if he can generally keep away from Brunson, frustrate him and point fight to win two of three rounds.

Brunson doesn't have particularly good fight IQ and he definitely appears to have lost a step athletically. Generally he only loses to elite fighters, but Elias is a solid decision-bot with plenty of experience.

LOL Elias is going to handle this kid. 1st round KO. He was 202 pounds 3 hours after weigh ins. Derek isn't going to shock the world tonight. Hes the underdog in every department. Speed, good looks, power, fight IQ etc.

Dont blink.

Top 5 elias is going to be a beast

Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back