The Anime and Manga Thread v48

Stumbled upon a manwha that I started reading 20 years ago but forgot the name
It’s called vagrant soldier ares

cant tell if it’s good or if it’s just the nostalgia but I dig it

Well that's a title I haven't thought of in years. I read that back in 2012. It's a pretty decent read, but IIRC it fumbles the ending a bit.

For those of you not reading it, you guys need to read Helck(it's complete) and follow it up with Volundio: The Surreal Sword Saga.

@doomrider7

I have now, per your recommendations, familiarized myself with both Shadows House and Shangri-La Frontier. I did enjoy both, but not enough to make them into favorites of mine - sorry to say.

About Shadows House: First of all, I really, really prefer monochrome over colorized - to such an extent that I was not able to continue to read when only color was available. Now about the series itself, so did I find I charming initially, but as more and more became exposed of the setting did I find it to progressively lose it charm. I feel that this is something that often happens within similar manga where there is at the beginning an interesting setting that the author do not manage too cultivate its qualities and instead falls into the conventional and generic; by the time I stopped, I felt that most of the charm was gone. Now when I think about it, this isn't limited to manga, and I can say that I feel the same about TV shows such as Lost and Prison Break, that were magical at start and carried great promise, but never managed to live up to them; in Manga The Promised Neverland likewise comes to mind, and others that I can't recall right now.

About SLF: Not much to say. A good work, but not my cup of tea. Don't really like the genre, and unfortunately the main character is not the kind which I like. I didn't like the main romance, but I did, on the other hand, find the guild mates as very likeable characters, and would have preferred either one to be the MC. Still, it was really well done all in all, and I might continue; the setting was, as you said, well done and intriguing, and might very well be the hook that gets me (I'm at volume 10 right now).

At any rate, I thank you for all your recommendations, and would appreciate more if you feel willing.

At the same time, I have re-familiarized myself with Adachi Mitsuru's works: I became up to date with Mix, and finished Touch, Katsu, Cross Game and H2 for the first time, and also Rough for the second time. All in all it would be safe to say that Adachi is a great mangaka, though not without flaws. The thing is that all works really are all the same more or less, but I still enjoyed them to a degree that it really didn't matter. Another problem was that I found the endings to somewhat abrupt (to varying degrees of course), but this is personal taste and I also somewhat like it - though I personally would have liked an extra volume of gaidens, as is often done. This was especially problematic for Rough, which otherwise probably would have been my favorite. But on the other hand, I found myself enjoying his particular style so much that I binged all his highest rated works (I enjoyed H2 and Mix the most while also finding Touch somewhat disappointing but still very good). Would definitely recommend a look into his works to anyone that have not done so.

I'm so used to Manhwa being long strips of pure color that I didn't recognize the title when I read this post the first time. For what it is worth, so did I read it about 10 years ago and it made a strong impression upon me at the time, though by now I can only remember small details.

I wanted to start watching something new, but I couldn't decide on anything, so I'm just gonna rewatch Black Lagoon for the 1000000000th time.

I wanted to start watching something new, but I couldn't decide on anything, so I'm just gonna rewatch Black Lagoon for the 1000000000th time.

I'm new here, so I have no idea what you have watched or if you was asking for recommendations. Nevertheless, I thought about a little and came to the conclusion that I couldn't really think of anything truly similar to Black Lagoon. But if I were to stretch it, then I would recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex season 1, 2 and the movie. They have a similar feel in how a group of people deals with a more or less violent, criminal situation; though in this case, we are watching an elite squad of cyberpunk military solving cases. Black Lagoon is more action oriented and GITS might take a little time to truly get into, but the payoff is more than worth it in my opinion. The season-spanning story arcs are something of the very best that anime has to offer. Also, now when I think about it, Baccano! might also fit somewhat into the mold, though for different reasons. Both great animes in any case, and two of my absolute favorites.

Ok no spoiler comments about what happens next please.... But the latest episode of jujitsu Kaisen was freaking HYPE!!
I want to start it so badly, but I'm going to wait it out like the first season. If it's 24 episodes like S1 I'm going to have to wait until the end of the year! :mad:

I want to start it so badly, but I'm going to wait it out like the first season. If it's 24 episodes like S1 I'm going to have to wait until the end of the year! :mad:

I'm really holding myself from reading the manga after the last episode, I'm torn between waiting or watching every week.

I'm really holding myself from reading the manga after the last episode, I'm torn between waiting or watching every week.
Just wait it out. The only anime I couldn't wait for was OPM so I read the manga. Now that the last arc is done I plan on not reading the manga for a couple years unless Murata ends it before then.

general question for anyone who has watched chainsaw man, do the fights have logic and trickery? Like in Jojo or Jujitsu Kaisen and early Naruto or is it just a bunch of action scenes

general question for anyone who has watched chainsaw man, do the fights have logic and trickery? Like in Jojo or Jujitsu Kaisen and early Naruto or is it just a bunch of action scenes

I would say in general no but it’s not completely absent either. Specifically the trickery.

It's action. Dude has a chainsaw for a face. Maybe there was a little bit of tactics when he fought the guy with the Katana on his face.

Edit: He does meet a human that trains him how to fight better. Give the series a shot. It's not bad. There is this scene with Makima that was pretty cool.

After reading the newly released chapter of Chainsaw Man, it's safe to say that we're back in form. Asa is not horrible, even possessing a sort of charm of her own that I do find rather enjoyable, but what made the manga iconic was Denji, and with him as the protagonist Fujimoto is once again utilizing his best qualities as a mangaka. I mean: as I said, the femcel tendencies and the over all slower pacing are enjoyable, if in a sort of acquired-taste way, but the slap stick humor combined with the high tempo action and also in contrast the occasional moments of deeper emotional impact together with some breathtakingly high level conceptual sceneries, scenarios, and ideas are what truly made this manga something special.

@JBSchroeds Have you ever read manga by Yukinobu Hoshino he has some really cool Hard science fiction type of manga that is very unique and very underappreciated imo. I'm probably gonna read his stuff again,

Back