The 2022 Heavies Awards - Fighter Of The Year Winner: Alex Pereira

Fighter of the Year 2022

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to give it to Alex. Stopping the undefeated (at MW) dominant UFC champ is quite an accomplishment, especially with comparatively little MMA experience and in his first main event (never mind on a PPV), even though his other two wins were not over top tier talent.

- Volk...only two fights...one over a guy he already faced twice.
- Pacheco's 4-0 is nice, especially with the finishes in the first three (albeit not over 'killers'), and then showing grit to win a 5rd decision over the previously undefeated Kayla, but is that better than Alex's 3-0 and beating Izzy? Nah.
- Islam was also only 2-0 in 2022, and despite the dominance over Oliveira to win the belt, the other win came over a late replacement in Green.
- While Sergey's wins were nice, none were as consequential as Alex beating Izzy. If he keeps this up though, he could very well be up for this award in 2023.

His individual win was pretty great

It was also cherry picked and a stylistic favorable match up. I really can't understand why people are so high on it. Of course it's a great win, but great enough to make you the best fighter of the year? Eh.. I really have a hard time understanding making that choice, if you weren't just rooting for Izzy to lose... So my assumption is that a lot of people just let their feels play into this a lot.

But maybe it just says more about the year we had and that it's just slim pickings.

Last edited:
It was also cherry picked and a stylistic favorable match up. I really can't understand why people are so high on it. Of course it's a great win, but great enough to make you the best fighter of the year? Eh.. I really have a hard time understanding making that choice, if you weren't just rooting for Izzy to lose... So my assumption is that a lot of people just let their feels play into this a lot.
Sure. You could say that. But he beat a champ with 6 consecutive defenses. That’s a huge win no matter how you slice it. Personally I think Islam/volk/Alex just comes down to what you value more, and personal preference.

Sure. You could say that. But he beat a champ with 6 consecutive defenses. That’s a huge win no matter how you slice it. Personally I think Islam/volk/Alex just comes down to what you value more, and personal preference.

It's a huge win, but to me a fighter of the year should be more than just about having a huge win. Like did the fighter actually face the multitude of challenges MMA can bring? How did he face them, not just did he eventually get out on top? Did he get saved by the bell, for example?

But I won't keep going on about it, bud. <WhatItIs> Hespect everybody's choice, whatever it may be.

The options really are Alex or Alex

Went with Alex.

Volk > Poatan for me for 2 simple reasons. Poatan took everything Izzy had worked for & with anybody else in the history of combat sports as champ he wouldn't've got a sniff at the belt yet... and when was the last time a manlet was P4P King? Volk's levelling up in the Max 3 fight was one of the most mindblowing performances I've possibly ever seen

Poatan was gifted favourbale matchups before his win over Adesanya.
Volk is the true fighter of the year.

Only one is truly deserving.
View media item 35487
The options really are Alex or Alex

Went with Alex.

Volk > Poatan for me for 2 simple reasons. Poatan took everything Izzy had worked for & with anybody else in the history of combat sports as champ he wouldn't've got a sniff at the belt yet... and when was the last time a manlet was P4P King? Volk's levelling up in the Max 3 fight was one of the most mindblowing performances I've possibly ever seen
My favorite part of Volk/Max III was the first punch of the fight Volk lands on Max, he looks at him, SCREAMS "OHHHH YEAAAA" and lunges at him and we were off to the races.
Did he get saved by the bell, for example?
Izzy's best shot of the fight was after the bell, stay mad.

View media item 35487

My favorite part of Volk/Max III was the first punch of the fight Volk lands on Max, he looks at him, SCREAMS "OHHHH YEAAAA" and lunges at him and we were off to the races.

Lol, you sound mad that I am a little critical of his performance. No need to be mad though. We can be critical of fighters we like and fights we like, bud. Doesn't mean we are mad.

But you also sound biased with your opening statement, so I am not expecting an open mind here.

Also, this isn't about Izzy. It's about a comparison between the candidates for fighter of the year. Izzy isn't among them, so it's a conpletely irrelevant statement by you.

Last edited:
Yeah it has to be Poatan
My man came in like a wrecking ball and took the belt from a dominant champion

View media item 35487

After the bell or not it nearly knocked Poatan back to Bolivia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back