Not open for further replies.

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
hpuZZ76.png

Fight of the Year

Its been a years of up and downs for the UFC. We saw long time champions dethroned, while new champions emerged. We saw long time rivalries put to bed. We saw new contenders burst onto the scene, and long time vets depart the sport forever. When all is said and done, only one fighter can be the Sherdog 2022 Fighter of the Year.

Sergei Pavlovich: 3-0 in 2022, with three first round KO's, 2 of which are over top 5 competition. Pavlovich steamrolled into the HW scene this year. Sergei got matched up with the "swang and bang" fighters of HW, from Derrick Lewis, to Tai Tuivasa, Pavlovich has dispatched all of his opponents in dominant fashion. Each time he's stepped into the octagon this year, he's put the entire division on notice and left fans with their jaws dropped. Its easy to understand why many of you will select him as your 2022 fighter of the year.

gettyimages-1446603353-612x612-1.jpg

Alex Pereira: Alex burst onto the scene this year, climbing from being completely unranked, to holding a title in just 3 fights. Alex has wins over Bruno Silva, Sean Strickland and former champion Israel Adesanya this year. While he may not have won every fight in the most dominant fashion compared to others on this list, the feat of getting his hands on a title so quickly against such a dominant champion considering how long he's been practicing MMA is no easy feat.
wp11770550.jpg

Alexander Volkanovski: The way Volkanovski has been destroying his competition, it shouldn't be any surprise to see him on this list. Volk cemented his rights to the 145 belt by beating 145 former Champion Max Holloway, and he dominated Chang Sun Jung in a dominant 4 round display. All of this was capped off by the announcement that he will be pursuing the 155 belt, which is (by many) considered the most competitive division in the UFC.

USATSI_18055079.jpg

Islam Makhachev: 2-0 in 2022 with wins over Bobby Green, and his successful title fight against Charles Oliveira. This one shouldn't need much explanation. Charles Oliveira seemed unstoppable and was snatching arms, necks, and legs left and right. He was 11-0 with wins over LW contenders Poirer and Gaethje, and Islam dominated the fight, and submitted the 155 champion, and holder of most submissions in the history of the division in the second round with an arm triangle choke. While many will argue a win over Bobby Green isn't exactly the kind of beef we want on a resume from a fighter of the year, its indisputable that a 2nd round submission win over Oliveira is the single most impressive win out of all the candidates on this list.

islam-makhachev.jpg

Larissa Pacheco
: 4-0 in the PFL for 2022, and won the $1 million cash prize by beating the poster lady of the PFL, Kayla Harrison. Pacheco avenged her 2019 loss to Harrison which was the perfect exclamation point to her dominant run in the PFL. it can't be ignored that she finished three fights in the first round via tko before running into Harrison and claiming the PFL title via decision in November.
1245104315.0.jpg

Without further delay, the polls are opened. Thanks to all my buds here on sherdog for a fabulous year.​

Last edited:
Pretty hard not to vote for Alex. Dude pulled out a clutch win in a heated back and forth battle. I surely enjoyed it. Fantastic fight. Interesting champion. Will be watching as his reign plays out. Could this be a new Machida Era? We'll see.

I think Poatan going 3-0 this year, capping it off by beating Izzy by stoppage for the belt cements him.
Islam’s title win was more dominant, but he only fought twice in 2022 and against lesser competition, and Charles wasn’t even champ at the time they fought, let alone a long-reigning champ like Izzy.

I will never forget the night when Volk just straight up Holloway'd Max Holloway. First time my girlfriend has seen max fight and she thought he was so trash lmao. She also said that she could tell Volk was a damn pro on the feet by the way he moved. He seriously leveled up.

Tough stuff, incredible performance.

With that said i still gotta vote AP. Dude just strolled in and took the belt from Izzy.

Trying to make a case for Pavlovich over Pereira here.
Assuming titles are as shallow as they really are.
Both had 1 unranked opponent whom they beat.
In Sergei's instance by KO in rd 1. - In Alex' instance by decision in a somewhat competitive fight.
Then both proceeded to win two fights by KO against solid, ranked opponents.
Sergei beat two of the most frightening knockout artists in UFC history within 1 minute.
Alex knocked out a solid middleweight within round 1 and TKOd one of the best MWs in UFC history in the fifth in a figth he was arguably losing.

But why Pavlovich, this would speak in favor of Pereira wouldn't it?
Proof of concept. Pereira was known to be the best MW kickboxer in the world. Strickland is notorious for exclusively striking and Israel was beat by him before. If anything Izzy has proven that Alex can be wrestled by even a mediocre grappler as long as they can give him something to think about on the feet as well.
For Pavlovich the question wasn't if he can knock guys out. The question was if he can do the same thing to top competition in similar fashion. He proved a point. Pereira didn't prove anything in the positive sense. If anything he proved that he is very wrestle-fuckable.

@Zebra Cheeks sold me on Pereira. Unranked to Champion in a Year... in the UFC. Who does that these days.
Yeah he was pretty impressive. Honestly all these fighters were. I just never actually expected pereira to beat Izzy, and the fact that it was a finish sent his stock sky rocketing for me. I kind of wrote it off as a cash grab and figured he’d get steamrolled. Now he’s the 185 champ. Ain’t that some shit

Trying to make a case for Pavlovich over Pereira here.
Assuming titles are as shallow as they really are.
Both had 1 unranked opponent whom they beat.
In Sergei's instance by KO in rd 1. - In Alex' instance by decision in a somewhat competitive fight.
Then both proceeded to win two fights by KO against solid, ranked opponents.
Sergei beat two of the most frightening knockout artists in UFC history within 1 minute.
Alex knocked out a solid middleweight within round 1 and TKOd one of the best MWs in UFC history in the fifth in a figth he was arguably losing.

But why Pavlovich, this would speak in favor of Pereira wouldn't it?
Proof of concept. Pereira was known to be the best MW kickboxer in the world. Strickland is notorious for exclusively striking and Israel was beat by him before. If anything Izzy has proven that Alex can be wrestled by even a mediocre grappler as long as they can give him something to think about on the feet as well.
For Pavlovich the question wasn't if he can knock guys out. The question was if he can do the same thing to top competition in similar fashion. He proved a point. Pereira didn't prove anything in the positive sense. If anything he proved that he is very wrestle-fuckable.
<mma4>

Definitely another good mention.
I've been splashing around a bit. Roman needs one of those "Sea Level Cain, Motivated Penn" type monikers. He has been different since stealing J.P.'s Girl.

Roman "the home wrecker"? "The back stabber"? Roman "with that Cheyanne Pie" Dolidze?

I've been splashing around a bit. Roman needs one of those "Sea Level Cain, Motivated Penn" type monikers. He has been different since stealing J.P.'s Girl.

Roman "the home wrecker"? "The back stabber"? Roman "with that Cheyanne Pie" Dolidze?
Lol. I don’t think he’s at the competition level he needs to be to draw the kind of attention. If he goes another 2-3 fights I guarantee you’ll see names like that floating around

Good thread. Thanks for putting it together @Zebra Cheeks. Man I love reading all the varied comments. There’s excellent arguments for any of the nominees and for the others mentioned.

I voted for Alexander Volkanovski. In 2022 he further established his legacy as a truly great fighter. He lived up to his nickname Alexander The Great. Got things rolling late the previous year with that amazing UD win over Brian Ortega. Then kept it going beating all time great Max Holloway and the Korean Zombie Chang Sun Jung.

Volk consistently demonstrated how well he does against all manners of competition. He’s a well-rounded fighter and can neutralize another fighter’s strengths. He never ever gives up. He embodies the warrior spirit. Look at his record 25-1 that’s amazing.

As a bonus he comes off as a sincere no bs type of guy outside the octagon and during his stint coaching on The Ultimate Fighter.

Larissa? Lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back