The 2022 Heavies Awards - Event of the Year Winner: UFC 281: Adesanya vs Pereira

2022 Event of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
UFC 281: Adesanya vs. Pereira by far. I watched with my brother in law. I've gotten him into MMA the last 6 months or so and we had a great time watching that event. So many finishes, just banger after banger. Chandler-Porier lived up to the hype and then some and the main event delivered another epic 5th round comeback. Think that was the 3rd one I could remember of last year along with Edwards-Usman and Jiri-Glover.

Top to bottom it was Teixeira vs Prochazka

Every fight on the prelims was a fucking banger

The only not-so-great fight on the entire card was Shev v Santos on the main card

And then of course the main event ended up being one of the greatest fights of all time

The casuals missed it, so it won't get the votes

See, this is what I'm bad at.

I can't remember entire fight cards - I'm more of an 'individual fights' kinda person.

I couldn't tell you what the best event of the year was. I just don't work that way.

That said, I voted for ONE: X.

Had nothing do with my age and everything to do with them sucking sir.

Eh, rap can be good without being nothing but great bars. Big L is better technically than 99.9% of anyone who ever did it, but I don't enjoy most of his songs. Mystikal and Ludacris had bars and also made songs you want to hear. I think if you gave some of their early stuff a chance you'd be surprised at how listenable it is. I didn't listen to rap AT ALL when I first heard Mystikal in 1998. I listened black metal and punk and shit. I went out and bought that album after I heard it. I know it doesn't mean anything to you, but it was amazing enough that it made me buy it, and i was all "guitars or die" back then. People are seriously the most closed minded and fascist when it comes to music, and it's silly. There's more good music out there than what anyone has heard, probably billions of good songs, better songs. The only hangup is wanting something new, rather than what you know.

Anyway, Papoose >>>>> lmao. He's the .1%.

Eh, rap can be good without being nothing but great bars. Big L is better technically than 99.9% of anyone who ever did it, but I don't enjoy most of his songs. Mystikal and Ludacris had bars and also made songs you want to hear. I think if you gave some of their early stuff a chance you'd be surprised at how listenable it is. I didn't listen to rap AT ALL when I first heard Mystikal in 1998. I listened black metal and punk and shit. I went out and bought that album after I heard it. I know it doesn't mean anything to you, but it was amazing enough that it made me buy it, and i was all "guitars or die" back then. People are seriously the most closed minded and fascist when it comes to music, and it's silly. There's more good music out there than what anyone has heard, probably billions of good songs, better songs. The only hangup is wanting something new, rather than what you know.

I literally listen to everything from opera to pantera and everything in between.
I feel like Luda and Mystikal are weak, even though they have some talent its far from what I like musically.

Prof , KRS 1, Ice T, Atmosphere, Jedi mind tricks, ill bill, Cage, eyedea etc etc.

I like all kinds of hip hop.

I literally listen to everything from opera to pantera and everything in between.
I feel like Luda and Mystikal are weak, even though they have some talent its far from what I like musically.

Prof , KRS 1, Ice T, Atmosphere, Jedi mind tricks, ill bill, Cage, eyedea etc etc.

I like all kinds of hip hop.
Taka Lxrd's EP is the best new hip hop I've heard, I've listened to it 100's of times in the last year. It's just Scarlxrd under a different name, idk if you're familiar with him, but his Taka Lxrd persona is not really anything like his normal stuff. Not really like most stuff coming out these days, kinda comes across as a love letter to real hip hop. Its a 20 min EP, seven tracks, and they're all beautifully done. Just based on the names you threw out, you'd probably dig it. Kid deserves some fans, he's a huge talent.

Taka Lxrd's EP is the best new hip hop I've heard, I've listened to it 100's of times in the last year. It's just Scarlxrd under a different name, idk if you're familiar with him, but his Taka Lxrd persona is not really anything like his normal stuff. Not really like most stuff coming out these days, kinda comes across as a love letter to real hip hop. Its a 20 min EP, seven tracks, and they're all beautifully done. Just based on the names you threw out, you'd probably dig it. Kid deserves some fans, he's a huge talent.

I listened to the songs 7, 3, 6...and he's yelling the entire time and each song sounds the same, is that the point?....still better than Luda and Mystikal though lol.

I listened to the songs 7, 3, 6...and he's yelling the entire time and each song sounds the same, is that the point?....still better than Luda and Mystikal though lol.
It's the point. He himself is a trap metaller, so his vocals are always going to be aggressive (which they're not really the same here as they'd normally be, even with the screams, hes usually throwing Deicide and Morbid Angel pig grunts into his shit). This kinda a concept record, he's using the trap metal screams to an extent, but he isn't he not using metal samples and whatnot in his beats, using more traditional style beats and rhyme schemes. That EP is great, I wish it was another 7 tracks of the same shit. The raw aggression is what is what makes it live.

Damn, dude, you're missing out.

"Man, people that don't even listen to rap still buy my tape." - Mystikal
Does he ever rhyme about people like me, who listen to rap but don’t buy his tape? :D
I just didn’t really like any of those No Limit rappers.

I’m with @StonedLemur on this one. Move Bitch is a song I’d stupidly yell along with if it came on the radio, or dance to if it came on in some club I was drunk at—but not something I actually liked and wanted to buy and own the CD or whatever. It’s hard for me to totally keep straight years like 1997 vs 1998, but at that time the hip hop I was bumping was stuff like
Beastie Boys “Hello Nasty”
Dr. Octagon “Dr. Ocragonecologyst”
KRS-One “I Got Next”
DJ Shadow “Entroducing”

stuff like that.

Last edited:
Does he ever rhyme about people like me, who listen to rap but don’t buy his tape? :D
I just didn’t really like any of those No Limit rappers.

I’m with @StonedLemur on this one. Move Bitch is a song I’d stupidly tell along with if it came on the radio, or dance to if it came on in some club I was drunk at—but not something I actually liked and wanted to buy and own the CD or whatever. It’s hard for me to totally keep straight years like 1997 vs 1998, but at that time the hip hop I was bumping was stuff like
Beastie Boys “Hello Nasty”
Dr. Octagon “Dr. Ocragonecologyst”
KRS-One “I Got Next”
DJ Shadow “Entroducing”

stuff like that.

Did we just become best friends sir?

IMG_20230109_160355_01.gif

KRS 1 I got next by itself smashes all Luda and Mystikal albums all at once, nevermind the rest of what you mentioned here.

Did we just become best friends sir?
Awww we can be BFFs!

KRS 1 I got next by itself smashes all Luda and Mystikal albums all at once, nevermind the rest of what you mentioned here.
Easily! KRS is the GOAT :)
Actually KRS’s new record is pretty good, he’s been inconsistent in his older age.
“Things Fall Apart” by the Roots also came out around that time in ‘97, that was another great record.

Awww we can be BFFs!

Easily! KRS is the GOAT :)
Actually KRS’s new record is pretty good, he’s been inconsistent in his older age.
“Things Fall Apart” by the Roots also came out around that time in ‘97, that was another great record.

The roots have been underrated forever, and yeah that was a dope album for sure.

A while back, my brother was doing some promotions with Papoose and was emailing his manager on my computer and whatnot. I never listened to his music, though. Maybe I should check it out... I started off as a '90s hip hop fan, and then in the early 2000s I got more into classic rock and then all types of music. I have very eclectic musical tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back