The 20 greatest fighters of all time imo

i guess i just don't get the people who do say it though.

what is Holmes's best win even? and if your saying his best stuff is just volume, well Lewis beat everyone in his era and they were better fighters.

i dunno.

Let them come at you, bro.

which is somewhat weird since he wasn't so loved in his prime

maybe over correction or something
People liked him more when he got old. I remember people being quite fond of him post Tyson.

It is not fair to Hopkins to call Trinidad a welterweight. He was big for the weight, and could barely make that weight, even in early 20s. His best weight is 154/160.

thumbnail

Just saw this list...
I’ll have to examine in detail more later this evening.
Not so sure, at first glance.
What ya’ll think?
SecretConstantAsianconstablebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

awful. Floyd at 39 and Manny at 11? lmao. Hagler, JCC, Dempsey, Holmes, FRAIZER all about Floyd? One of the worst lists I have ever seen

If Greb is top 10 then Tunney has to be in the top 20.
65-1 and his only loss is to Greb but he beat him 3 times after the loss.
2 wins over Dempsey.
Criminally underrated.

2 wins over Dempsey.
Criminally underrated.
I think that 1 loss on Tunneys records hurts him more than if it were 5.
Meaning that he ends up getting defined by it. You see his record and don't wonder who he beat, you wonder who beat him. Then it becomes more about Greb.

There's no education to be had here. You're just mad that I don't agree with you. You did precisely what I said people like you do and attach all these nostalgic stories and romantic ideas to boxers and make it impossible for anyone to live up to them. Greb having a bum eye doesn't mean a thing. It has no bearing on the quality of his opposition or the lack of quality. Its irrelevant. Sports are based on stats. You win, thats good. You lose, thats not so good. When you fight a guy 3 times and lose 2, he got the better of you. I'm not the sort that celebrates a guy with double digit losses because he fought 100 years ago when we define more modern fighters by a single loss.
You're acting like you have some special knowledge no one else knows, when the FACT is that there is a finite amount of material on Greb that literally every boxing fan with a curiosity of the sports history has read. There's literally 2 books on Greb that cover every single bit of news and nostalgia about the guy and I've read both, just like you. The Fearless Harry Greb is literally sitting on a shelf 6 feet away from me right now. There's no footage of the guy, you can't watch one fight to tell how great he really was.
You're a fan that likes legends and nostalgia, I prefer stats. We're just different and won't agree so settle down already.

Untrue and you are unwilling to learn. So be it. You only responded because I called out your ignorance and you needed to get in some last word about settling down when you don't know what you are talking about.

numbers were higher than today, but neither Dempsey or Tunney had to defend the heavyweight championship against a black guy, so some of the best talent was shielded from these guys.

I think Louis and fighters from the 30's onwards don't have this asterisk by their names

Of course. But the colour line doesn't apply to Harry Greb, whom is the focus of this conversation. He fought literally everybody ranked in and out of his natural weight class of MW, up to HW. His resume is great, one of the better ones in fact, which is the point here.

2 wins over Dempsey.
Criminally underrated.
tunney is kinda hard to rate for me

i admittedly dont think much of dempsey (in terms of his fighting skill, he obviously was an extremely important and vital figure in the sport's history)

so wadda ya do with tunney ya know?

Untrue and you are unwilling to learn. So be it. You only responded because I called out your ignorance and you needed to get in some last word about settling down when you don't know what you are talking about.
True and you have nothing to teach me.

I think that is narrative that doesn't make sense though. He lost and then avenged the loss 3 times.
Ultimately, I think what happened is that Greb and Dempsey are so beloved by history, Tunney is just the bad guy in a way.
I just find Tunney though a fascinating person. WW1 and WW2 vet, 66-1 and married into extreme wealth. Hard to beat that on the scale of baddass. I wish there was more video of his style.
I say this from Greenfield PA too in Pittsburgh. Greb's grave is about a 15 minute walk for me.

I think that 1 loss on Tunneys records hurts him more than if it were 5.
Meaning that he ends up getting defined by it. You see his record and don't wonder who he beat, you wonder who beat him. Then it becomes more about Greb.

I think that is narrative that doesn't make sense though. He lost and then avenged the loss 3 times.
Ultimately, I think what happened is that Greb and Dempsey are so beloved by history, Tunney is just the bad guy in a way.
I just find Tunney though a fascinating person. WW1 and WW2 vet, 66-1 and married into extreme wealth. Hard to beat that on the scale of baddass. I wish there was more video of his style.
I say this from Greenfield PA too in Pittsburgh. Greb's grave is about a 15 minute walk for me.
All I know is that much of Grebs notoriety is tied to that win over Tunney. I think it gets more attention than Tunneys wins over Dempsey.

Of course. But the colour line doesn't apply to Harry Greb, whom is the focus of this conversation. He fought literally everybody ranked in and out of his natural weight class of MW, up to HW. His resume is great, one of the better ones in fact, which is the point here.

Everyone excluding the likely no.1 fighter of his era ..sam langford

Greb had time to fight tunney multiple times but like jack johnson, dempsey, tunney and co

When it came to fighting Langford, those fights are still marinating or something.

Some guys were worse offenders than others, but whilst the 20's gave some great entertainment, it could be considered the asterick era.

Last edited:
Back