The 20 greatest fighters of all time imo

Nostalgia is part of it. Not wanting to be the first guy to knock him off the list is another. There was a time when Pep had a legit claim as one of the top guys in history. I mean, he's still a great fighter but do you honestly believe no one has come along since he retired that beat more quality opponents and accomplished more overall?
If I were talking to a boxing historian and said say, Manny Pacquiao had done more he'd get all snide and tell me a story about how Pep fought with a broken back or won a round without punching. People believe these stories should factor into how great a guys resume is.
There aren't 20+ guys in boxing history with a greater résumé than Pep. The only source that thinks so, other than TS, is BoxRec which is largely a joke when it comes to their all-time rankings. Pep is considered by many to be the greatest Featherweight of all time. So yeah, 20 other guys shouldn't be ahead of him.

There aren't 20+ guys in boxing history with a greater résumé than Pep. The only source that thinks so, other than TS, is BoxRec which is largely a joke when it comes to their all-time rankings. Pep is considered by many to be the greatest Featherweight of all time. So yeah, 20 other guys shouldn't be ahead of him.
Boxrecs rankings are weird, I agree.
I admit to being too lazy to put together an all time list, but I can't imagine I couldn't find 20 guys with more quality wins and accomplishments than Pep. Wasn't Wright ancient when Pep beat him? He came up short in the series with Saddler.

Where would you rank Saddler, out of curiosity?

Sonny liston
Mike tyson
Foreman
Muhummad ali
Floyd Mayweather
Holyfield
Jack Johnson

I admit to being too lazy to put together an all time list, but I can't imagine I couldn't find 20 guys with more quality wins and accomplishments than Pep. Wasn't Wright ancient when Pep beat him? He came up short in the series with Saddler.

Which time? He beat Wright four times. Sure, he came up short, but Saddler was the bigger man and a nightmare for him stylistically. Most feel that Pac came up short to JMM and JMM knocked him senseless to close out their rivalry which was the most convincing win of the series. Saddler also lost to mutual opponents in Jock Leslie, Phil Terranova, and to Paddy DeMarco twice. These are just the Hall of Famers that Pep beat.

Chalky Wright ×4 (IBHOF)
Manuel Ortiz (IBHOF)
Sandy Saddler (IBHOF)
Harold Dade (WBHOF)
Phil Terranova (WBHOF)
Jackie Graves (WBHOF)
Carlos Chavez (WBHOF)
Jackie Wilson ×2 (WBHOF)
Rodolfo Gonzales (WBHOF)

Saddler was a dog and would be a rough night for anyone.

Reactions: HHJ
Saddler was a dog and would be a rough night for anyone.
It should also be pointed out that the version of Pep that Saddler beat was the post-plane crash comeback version. Pep broke his back, his leg, and suffered severe chest trauma the year prior to starting his rivalry with Saddler. His own doctors thought he'd never walk again much less continue boxing. Pep lost both speed and maneuverability that he previously had in spades before those serious injuries occurred.

Meh, I think its been surpassed many times over. He's a great fighter but I don't really think he belongs in the top 10 anymore. Too much credit for volume on his resume, IMO. Some of those guys you listed are best known for losing to great fighters and Flowers won 2 out of 3 vs Greb. I think nostalgia plays too big a factor in rating some of those guys.

Greb lost two "up in the air" decisions that could have gone either way to a guy he beat when he had ONE eye.

In a one belt, 8 division era most fighters won't get the spotlight you are used to seeing. Charlos would be your Mike McTigues (MAYBE). Danny Jacobs would be a Jimmy Slattery (MAYBE). If this were 100 years ago, GGG and Danny would have fought 4 times by now. Canelo wouldn't have clenbuterol, and the long breaks between fights to matchmake. It's the same sport but very different. Tommy Loughran and Tunney would be champs today at LHW, and, if they had modern sports science, they would both be champs, maybe avoiding each other in order to keep undefeated records in this douchebag era. Sam Langford would demolish anyone from 154 to 175 in today's divisions. Today we have 16 divisions and at least 4 major titles in each, several of which have diamond and interim status. This is the reason you are diminishing so many legitimate boxers from over a century ago. They constantly fought without any champ recognition, so even really good fighters would get overlooked by casuals today. If you quadruple the chances that all those names get belts, just going from 1 to 4, then multiply further by doubling weight divisions, you see that there were fewer opportunities for so many of these guys back in the 20's who would be champs by today's standards.

With more belts and divisions you would have more cherry picking, too. Also, fighters fought more back then. You're bound to have an off night. A guy like Floyd would have lost numerous times if he had their schedule and if there was only one belt. It' the way it goes. You will take more losses fighting more, especially with Greb's resume listed above.

One should not apply the 21st century boxing landscape to the 1920's. Not one of today's fighters would have a better resume if they fought in Greb's division or LHW back then.

Greb lost two "up in the air" decisions that could have gone either way to a guy he beat when he had ONE eye.

In a one belt, 8 division era most fighters won't get the spotlight you are used to seeing. Charlos would be your Mike McTigues (MAYBE). Danny Jacobs would be a Jimmy Slattery (MAYBE). If this were 100 years ago, GGG and Danny would have fought 4 times by now. Canelo wouldn't have clenbuterol, and the long breaks between fights to matchmake. It's the same sport but very different. Tommy Loughran and Tunney would be champs today at LHW, and, if they had modern sports science, they would both be champs, maybe avoiding each other in order to keep undefeated records in this douchebag era. Sam Langford would demolish anyone from 154 to 175 in today's divisions. Today we have 16 divisions and at least 4 major titles in each, several of which have diamond and interim status. This is the reason you are diminishing so many legitimate boxers from over a century ago. They constantly fought without any champ recognition, so even really good fighters would get overlooked by casuals today. If you quadruple the chances that all those names get belts, just going from 1 to 4, then multiply further by doubling weight divisions, you see that there were fewer opportunities for so many of these guys back in the 20's who would be champs by today's standards.

With more belts and divisions you would have more cherry picking, too. Also, fighters fought more back then. You're bound to have an off night. A guy like Floyd would have lost numerous times if he had their schedule and if there was only one belt. It' the way it goes. You will take more losses fighting more, especially with Greb's resume listed above.

One should not apply the 21st century boxing landscape to the 1920's. Not one of today's fighters would have a better resume if they fought in Greb's division or LHW back then.
There are 17 divisions today multiplied by we'll say 5 world titles (WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO + lineal recognition) = 85 titles. Let's throw in the WBA "Regular" title as Canelo & his team count that so make it 6 world titles per division. That brings us up to a total of 102 titles. And that's not even counting any interim titles, the IBO title (minor world title), Ring Magazine title (just a cheap version of the lineal title), and all the other secondary titles floating around.

As you said, there's exponentially more titles now and just over twice as many divisions as the original landscape which presents a lot more opportunities for many of today's contenders to be recognized as "champions." It's false advertising as far as I'm concerned.

There are 17 divisions today multiplied by we'll say 5 world titles (WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO + lineal recognition) = 85 titles. Let's throw in the WBA "Regular" title as Canelo & his team count that so make it 6 world titles per division. That brings us up to a total of 102 titles. And that's not even counting any interim titles, the IBO title (minor world title), Ring Magazine title (just a cheap version of the lineal title), and all the other secondary titles floating around.

As you said, there's exponentially more titles now and just over twice as many divisions as the original landscape which presents a lot more opportunities for many of today's contenders to be recognized as "champions." It's false advertising as far as I'm concerned.
Even though there's more titles, more often than not, there is consensus on who the top dog is. Sandy Saddler was a junior lightweight champ at one point too, so the weight classes were played with back then too. People are selective recalling things like that.
Ali held the the WBA, WBC and NYSAC titles. Does anyone care that Ali held different versions of titles in the same weight class? Do people say he wasn't shit because there were multiple belts?

I don't agree with making up results. All fighters have questionable decisions on their resume. You still have to count them.
People talk about belts today muddying the picture but what about the fact that entire regions of the world who didn't compete with the rest of the world? Who's to say how great Pep was if he couldn't fight the best Russians, for example? Further, was Ali garbage because he fought for 3 different world titles?
The rest of your post is basically a bunch of unfounded opinions based on nostalgic bias.
I also don't like people stating how sure they are an old timer would easily handle fighters of other eras. Langford got stopped and outpointed more than some pros fight today.
I couldn't guess how Floyd would do on that era. Its nonsense to pretend you know.

I don't agree with making up results. All fighters have questionable decisions on their resume. You still have to count them.
People talk about belts today muddying the picture but what about the fact that entire regions of the world who didn't compete with the rest of the world? Who's to say how great Pep was if he couldn't fight the best Russians, for example? Further, was Ali garbage because he fought for 3 different world titles?
The rest of your post is basically a bunch of unfounded opinions based on nostalgic bias.
I also don't like people stating how sure they are an old timer would easily handle fighters of other eras. Langford got stopped and outpointed more than some pros fight today.
I couldn't guess how Floyd would do on that era. Its nonsense to pretend you know.
The only thing i would say about floyd is he probably wouldn’t be undefeated

not because the era is infinitely better. But the volume of fights probably prevent that

Even though there's more titles, more often than not, there is consensus on who the top dog is. Sandy Saddler was a junior lightweight champ at one point too, so the weight classes were played with back then too. People are selective recalling things like that.
There's usually consensus, that's true, but casuals often see the guy with the most belts in a division and immediately crown him the true champion of the division. Hardcores tend to know the difference. For instance, I had a guy on here just days ago tell me that Fury only had 1 title (WBC) and Joshua had 3, therefore, Joshua was really the #1 heavyweight purely by having more titles. Saddler did become champ at Super Featherweight but it's his Featherweight reign that he's known for not so much being a two-division champion.
Ali held the the WBA, WBC and NYSAC titles. Does anyone care that Ali held different versions of titles in the same weight class? Do people say he wasn't shit because there were multiple belts?
Ali did hold the NYSAC title for a few years until he was stripped. Still, he fought in the two-belt era and was known for becoming a 3× undisputed champ as he held the WBA & WBC titles simultaneously on three separate occasions. He fought in the two-belt era, we're currently in the four-belt era, so it's twice as confusing today than it was back then even to many hardcore fans.

People talk about belts today muddying the picture but what about the fact that entire regions of the world who didn't compete with the rest of the world? Who's to say how great Pep was if he couldn't fight the best Russians, for example?
I've said the same thing about contemporary fighters like Floyd. In his 50 fight pro career he never fought an Eastern Bloc fighter (Cubans included). What stopped him from fighting threats like Tszyu before his 2005 Hatton loss and subsequent retirement? I definitely find it strange that he never fought a single one of them in his professional career especially given the ridiculous amount of opportunity he had to fight anybody he wanted for so long. Lots of fans wanted to see him in with Lara as well. So, using your own logic, how do we know that Floyd was really that great?

I've said the same thing about contemporary fighters like Floyd. In his 50 fight pro career he never fought an Eastern Bloc fighter (Cubans included). What stopped him from fighting threats like Tszyu before his 2005 Hatton loss and subsequent retirement? I definitely find it strange that he never fought a single one of them in his professional career especially given the ridiculous amount of opportunity he had to fight anybody he wanted for so long. Lots of fans wanted to see him in with Lara as well. So, using your own logic, how do we know that Floyd was really that great?
I believe he was in talks with both Tszyu and Hatton when they chose to fight each other. I can't really think of any other euros that were making waves around the weight at the time.

Not making anything up. Saying defeats are close is talking about a fight. Close losses are different than blowout defeats.

You are incorrect. Look at my first post. It offers plenty. I'm not sure how you can miss that resume, unless you haven't made a well-researched effort to understand something.

Russians (Soviets) had virtually zero boxing program during Pep's peak in the 40's. Why would you even mention how well an all time great would do against people from a population that had zero boxing infrastructure at the time? What about the Martians? Can you call them and get back to me?

Why would you insinuate Ali is a bad fighter when most of his fights were routinely for one recognized position?

If you think my first post is unfounded then please put in some work so you actually understand something about boxing in the early parts of the sport's history. If you did know these things you would not be criticizing Greb's resume.

I don't disagree. Thats why Pep came up short against him.

Yup a past his prime stick and move came up short against a badass. A surface truth, but a truth nonetheless.

Also though, you've got Pep, who lost ONCE in his prime against another ATG in Sammy Angott, and then was undefeated until he was fading and then Saddler was in ascension.

Then Pep faces Saddler. Loses. Yup. If that's where you stop, you welcome ignorance. Which is fine (for some). Thing is, Pep, over-the-hill, comes back against a KO loss and BEATS the guy, handing him a strong, clear decision. That is impressive. You gotta be able to recognize that kind of overall skill and grit. The fact that Pep wanted to fight him two more times when he is fading is nothing short of admirable.

That would be akin to, but not 100% identical to Manny Pacquiao, right now, getting KO'd by Errol Spence and then coming back to dominate a decision. Who says something oversimplified like "he came up short" to that?

Strictly by resume. Watcha think

Suga Ray Robinson is number 1. Pretty obvious

i think the next nine to round out the top ten is something like (no order)

Ali
Louis
Armstrong
Greb
Walker
Archie
Leonard
Floyd
Pac

next 10 is something like (in no order)

Duran
Langford
Wilde
Ross
Lennox
Hopkins
Jofre
Ezzard
Benny
Packey or Cazoneri

oh and clinton woods
You have Archie over the Ezzard Charles? I like Archie better but there isn’t any way that I could argue him being better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back