Thai Max?

Many fans are rightfully talking about who the best boxer in the UFC is after Max's performance.
(The obvious answer is Conor btw)

What i have not seen many people talking about is Max's THAI boxing! Max was throwing beautiful spinning back kicks to the body, leg kicks, standing elbows, intercept knees to the body. He has been in so many great fights we forget he is not even in his prime yet!

I seen some sherbros saying he should RETIRE if he lost to Kattar. (Cringe)

Max is still getting better at a rapid rate. Would anybody disagree he looked way better the 2nd Volk fight then in the 1st? Now he fights a hard hitting very talented boxer in Kattar and not only does he look better then ever with his hands, he is comfortable enough to throw new techniques and land them hard.

By the time its all said and done Max might be the greatest small fighter in MMA history. He might be finishing flying arm bars on guys in 3 years.

#Blessed

Agree that it’s really Thai boxing rather than boxing that’s gotten him to the next level. He was finally pushed to expand his game when Volk and his team found a blueprint to deal with his volume punching attack.

I don’t think I would say that he’s not at his peak yet. I think the Kattar fight is likely to go down as his best ever performance. It ended up being a perfect matchup for him (Kattar doesn’t wrestle or kick much and is clearly slower and lower volume than Max) and he performed beautifully. But there’s no question he’s expanded his game, and it’s great to see. His next fight will be must-see TV.

No. You're too dumb to read the OP and realize quite clearly this thread has nothing to do with boxing.

To the point I gave you credit for trolling by using the word boxing 15 times in your post.
I was responding to a specific post on this thread. It was about boxing, so if you are too dumb to figure that out then that's on you. Carry on.

It's times like this where I wish MMA was like the movies and Kattar would ask Max and his coaches to take him in and teach him how they kicked his ass lol. I agree kattar will be back with a vengeance, but he's got some issues to work on for sure.

I said this before the fight and people didn’t really like it, but Kattar IMO has gotten a little overrated. I like the guy a lot but I think he’s being rated a level above where he actually is.

He was just in a dog fight with Dan Ige, who is good but not great. He also had a very competitive fight with Shane Burgos, who is also good but not great. Jeremy Stephens put it on him for a round. Admittedly, Calvin landed great pinpoint power shots to put Shane and Stephens away and ultimately pull ahead of Ige. Like Josh Emmett, his ability to do that is what makes him a top ten featherweight.

But he’s stepped in with someone who was a legitimate top ten opponent at the time three times, and he won one round (one judge also gave him one round in the Moicano fight, which the other two and virtually the entire media had 30-27).

So I’m not sure that he’ll be back with a vengeance. He’s a smooth puncher with good power who is really tough. I think he’s a good candidate to earn FOTN bonuses against guys like TKZ, Emmett or Barboza. I’d enjoy a Yair matchup too. But I would not predict that he’ll ever beat an elite opponent or truly contend for the title.

I was responding to a specific post on this thread. It was about boxing, so if you are too dumb to figure that out then that's on you. Carry on.
You responded so poorly I laughed thinking you were kidding so yeah you're some fight genius lol

I said this before the fight and people didn’t really like it, but Kattar IMO has gotten a little overrated. I like the guy a lot but I think he’s being rated a level above where he actually is.

He was just in a dog fight with Dan Ige, who is good but not great. He also had a very competitive fight with Shane Burgos, who is also good but not great. Jeremy Stephens put it on him for a round. Admittedly, Calvin landed great pinpoint power shots to put Shane and Stephens away and ultimately pull ahead of Ige. Like Josh Emmett, his ability to do that is what makes him a top ten featherweight.

But he’s stepped in with someone who was a legitimate top ten opponent at the time three times, and he won one round (one judge also gave him one round in the Moicano fight, which the other two and virtually the entire media had 30-27).

So I’m not sure that he’ll be back with a vengeance. He’s a smooth puncher with good power who is really tough. I think he’s a good candidate to earn FOTN bonuses against guys like TKZ, Emmett or Barboza. I’d enjoy a Yair matchup too. But I would not predict that he’ll ever beat an elite opponent or truly contend for the title.

Where would you rank him in the division then?

He's clearly a top 10 guy imo, but he's also clearly not ready to contend for a title, but I'd favor him over guys like KZ and Yair, especially after seeing his conditioning last saturday. I think his ranking at number 6 is accurate. Look at the guys he's lost to recently. Zabit (top 3 guy, and most people believe Kattar would beat him in a 5 rounder) and Max, arguably the goat of the division. There's no shame in losing to those guys. I disagree that the Ige fight was a dog fight—it was competitive, but Ige lost 4 rounds and the only success he had was injuring Kattar's already broken nose.

Kattar has been fighting good competition since his debut. Fili had just beaten the 15th ranked guy in the world before Kattar beat him on 2 weeks notice. Burgos was undefeated and on a 4 fight ufc win streak when kattar beat him and has since proven he's a top 15 guy. Moicano was ranked, Lamas was top 10 former title challenger, Zabit is top 5, stephens is a perenial top 15 guy, ige is top 15 guy. He has a winning record despite fighting mostly ranked guys.

So yeah, I think 6th in the rankings is a fair spot for him.

Last edited:
He's clearly not ready to contend for a title, but I'd favor him over a lot of top 10 guys. I think his ranking at number 6 is accurate.

I mean, he finished burgos in round three and it was 1-1 before that. The Ige fight was competitive, but other than the punch that hurt Kattar's ALREADY broken nose, ige didn't do much and ige lost that fight 4 rounds to 1. Stephens didn't get much damage off either, he simply won a round based off output alone before getting finished.

Kattar has been fighting good competition since his debut. Fili had just beaten the 15th ranked guy in the world before Kattar beat him on 2 weeks notice. Burgos was undefeated and on a 4 fight ufc win streak when kattar beat him, and has since proven he's a top 15 guy. Moicano was ranked, Lamas was top 10 former challenger, Zabit top 5, stephens is a perenial top 15 guy, ige is top 15 guy. He has a winning record despite facing nearly all ranked guys.

So yeah, I think 6th in the rankings is a fair spot for him. I'd favor him in a five rounder against zabit, TKZ and Yair, by the way. He's not beating Max or volk though, and Ortega is an interesting one.
Kattar could very well beat everybody in the division besides Max and Volk, the Max that He fought on Saturday beats the hell out of any 145er in the world.

Kattar vs zombie sounds like a great fight to make after Kattar takes some time to heal up.

Kattar could very well beat everybody in the division besides Max and Volk, the Max that He fought on Saturday beats the hell out of any 145er in the world.

Kattar vs zombie sounds like a great fight to make after Kattar takes some time to heal up.

If I was Kattar's manager, I'd make Kattar go 6-8 months with no contact training. He can still do conditioning, footwork drills, defense drills, shadow boxing, hit the bags and mitts, maybe even some light positional grappling drills etc etc, but he needs at least half a year of no head trauma. After that, if I'm his manager, I'd probably look to book Kattar against a top 10 guy that is primarily a grappler, since a grappler will be unlikely to land concussive blows on kattar. Book that around november ish. That's just what I'd do, though.

Knowing Kattar and his team, though, they will go for the toughest fight they can find because that's what they always do. Nobody else was calling out Zabit and Max, but Kattar is a real fighter and chases the challenges.

You responded so poorly I laughed thinking you were kidding so yeah you're some fight genius lol
Your last statement is probably the smartest thing you've ever said on this forum and probably the only time you have ever been right.

Where would you rank him in the division then?

He's clearly a top 10 guy imo, but he's also clearly not ready to contend for a title, but I'd favor him over guys like KZ and Yair, especially after seeing his conditioning last saturday. I think his ranking at number 6 is accurate. Look at the guys he's lost to recently. Zabit (top 3 guy, and most people believe Kattar would beat him in a 5 rounder) and Max, arguably the goat of the division. There's no shame in losing to those guys. I disagree that the Ige fight was a dog fight—it was competitive, but Ige lost 4 rounds and the only success he had was injuring Kattar's already broken nose.

Kattar has been fighting good competition since his debut. Fili had just beaten the 15th ranked guy in the world before Kattar beat him on 2 weeks notice. Burgos was undefeated and on a 4 fight ufc win streak when kattar beat him and has since proven he's a top 15 guy. Moicano was ranked, Lamas was top 10 former title challenger, Zabit is top 5, stephens is a perenial top 15 guy, ige is top 15 guy. He has a winning record despite fighting mostly ranked guys.

So yeah, I think 6th in the rankings is a fair spot for him.

I agree. I don’t think his ranking is off base at all. What I think is/was off base is the sense that he’s an elite contender on the rise.

Kattar is really good. I think it’s safe to say that his chin, endurance and heart are all excellent. But he doesn’t wrestle. He isn’t a dangerous submission threat. He isn’t a great leg kicker. He is solid but not extraordinary with knees, elbows, body kicks and head kicks He doesn’t seem like a top notch tactician. He isn’t an elite counter puncher and doesn’t look comfortable going backwards. But he’s also not a huge forward-pressure fighter like Max. He has good power but he’s not sparking guys left and right like someone like McGregor was able to at 145. He has smooth punching combinations but still has a habit of taking turns with his opponent (this killed him against Max because Max doesn’t do that, and it’s the reason IMO that the Ige and Burgos fights were closer than they needed to be).

What does that add up to? To me, it adds up to a guy who will beat solid guys who aren’t elite anywhere, especially guys who will sit in boxing range and take turns throwing punches. But I think he is pretty vulnerable against guys with elite skills or game plans.

Are you confident he beats Barboza? I’m not. Edson will batter your legs if you don’t pressure him. Pressure isn’t really Calvin’s game though — he’ll land 2 and 3 punch combos if you stand in front of him but he won’t really smother you. I can certainly see him knocking Edson down and/or out but I can also see a Hooker type of fight where he gets chewed up.

TKZ is IMO the fight to make and it’s probably his ideal matchup, because the Zombie is a guy who sits in boxing range and takes turns. His grappling is better than Cal’s but he’s not an offensive wrestler so they’ll probably just box.

Yair is a good fight too. If Yair commits to leg kicks I think he’d likely be too fast and diverse for Calvin, but he hasn’t proven he an consistently do that yet. Getting outclassed by the Zombie was a red flag that won’t go away until he beats an elite opponent.

Those guys (along with maybe Josh Emmett, who I would currently favor Calvin to defeat using the Michael Johnson blueprint) are who I consider to be his peers in the rankings.

When we look ahead in the division I don’t see much joy. You’re correct that many of us (myself included) think Kattar might well defeat Zabit in a five rounder. I in fact bet on Kattar in the first fight, thinking that maybe he’d turn the tables quickly enough to win the second round or earn a stoppage in the third. But IMO that’s simply due to a very unique Achilles heel of a Zabit (the alleged diaphragm issue). I would’ve liked Cal’s chances against Ortega for the same reasons I favored TKZ, but I think Ortega 2.0 has too many weapons. Volk IMO would have no problem developing a gameplan to neutralize such a boxing heavy attack. And we just saw Max.

What about the guys working their way up? Are we convinced that a well-rounded guy like Ilia Topuria won’t give him fits? Or a rangey kickboxer like Giga Chikadze? Once again, I am not.

I don’t mean to rain on the guy this much. I really enjoy watching him fight. But right now I see his future more on the level of a Jim Miller, Jeremy Stephens or Matt Brown (very good veteran fighters who lose every time they fight an elite opponent) than a Gaethje, Poirier or Masvidal who reached a similar fork in the road but were able to add some wrinkles and become a title contender.

Jusy my two cents. I would love to see him prove me incorrect.

Last edited:
Back