Elections Texas mother of 4 sentenced to 8 years for voting as a legal permanent resident

As far as I understand it's pretty common for non-violent offenders to get deported rather than serve a long prison sentences as it saves taxypayers a shit ton of money. I just did some basic searching but did find this article discussing the practice in Pennsylvania. It's from 2013 but it still talks about the state law involved with non-violent offenders being deported rather than serving jail time.

https://www.tribdem.com/news/local_...cle_4cbae506-8d8e-5cf7-86d9-305d39d29020.html

I would feel better about that if it meant that they stayed out of the USA. I remember reading that most of them are back within a month.

@JamesRussler I think be biggest issue with a digital voter roll is maintaining it's integrity such that people can't get disenfranchised by a single person altering records. This is potentially a problem that block-chain technology could solve.

We'll probably see it in about 20 years because that's the speed the government works at, infrastructure wise. If there were a military application for this sytem we'd already have it.

I agree. It's so easy to alter large amounts of digital information. I don't know all the particulars of how block chain works, but from what I've read it should be very helpful in authenticating digital documents.

I agree. It's so easy to alter large amounts of digital information. I don't know all the particulars of how block chain works, but from what I've read it should be very helpful in authenticating digital documents.

It also intrinsically solves disaster-recovery by being distributed by nature.

Distributed by nature? I have a lot to learn bout block chain technology, because I thought it was digital.

I mean it's a system of distributed computers. There's no central authority, so if any single node goes down it won't affect the integrity of the whole. If a datacenter in California catches on fire, that's alright because there's others running in Nevada, Ohio, etc.

Permanent residents in Canada can't vote either. Lol at blaming this on republicans trying to "take people's votes away." Practically every single country in world requires you to show ID when you vote. You people are the ones asking for things that are highly irregular i.e. to let in everyone just walk in and vote without anyone checking who they are and whether they're a citizen. Nobody does this. You're the insane one, not the republican boogieman.

It shouldn't be possible to vote if you're not eligible. Is there not a voting registrar they check names off against?

I'm a PR in Canada. I don't vote here because they explicitly tell you that you can't when they give you the card.

Do they not do that in the US?
They do.

My wife if a permanent resident here. She is acutely aware that she is not a citizen. You have to get a new resident card periodically and do a bunch of paperwork for it. They also try to get you to pay like $700 to become a citizen. They're very clear about it. There is no way to be oblivious to the fact that you aren't a citizen. This woman is full of shit.

Last edited:
I'm fine with deporting her and her never serving her time, unless she is caught back in the country then she should have to serve the full sentence and a couple of more years for coming back in. Then get kicked out again.

I'm a PR in Canada. I don't vote here because they explicitly tell you that you can't when they give you the card.

Do they not do that in the US?

Permanent residents aren’t allowed to vote here? I legit did not know that.

My sister-in-law is a PR from Korea. Never asked her if she votes though because she doesn’t speak English.

Sounds like something mandatory Voter ID could solve.

8 years?

Fuck me. I would think a fine would be more appropriate, but then people round here may not get that much time for killing someone.
Give her a weekend in county and probation, anyone she knows that is a PR won't make the same mistake

They do.

My wife if a permanent resident here. She is acutely aware that she is not a citizen. You have to get a new resident card periodically and do a bunch of paperwork for it. They also try to get you to pay like $700 to become a citizen. They're very clear about it. There is no way to be oblivious to the fact that you aren't a citizen. This woman is full of shit.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

Back