Elections Texas mother of 4 sentenced to 8 years for voting as a legal permanent resident

Trotsky

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A lawful permanent resident can falsely believe that her lawful status gives her the right to vote - or a parolee can falsely believe that completion of her sentence restores her right to vote - and they get massive prison sentences. Republican lawmakers can pass policies that they know will take away the right to vote for millions and serve no empirical anti-fraud purpose, and they get money, fame, and political support.

A Texas appeals court upheld the conviction of green card holder Rosa Maria Ortega for voter fraud on Wednesday, cementing a sentence of eight years in jail and a likely deportation.

Ortega, a mother of four, reportedly thought she was able to vote because she was a permanent resident. She voted five times between 2004 and 2014 — once for the attorney general, Ken Paxton, who later prosecuted her, according to her attorney. She also reportedly served as a poll worker.

"She doesn't know. She's got this [green] card that says 'resident' on it, so she doesn’t mark that she's not a citizen,” her attorney told the Washington Post said. "She had no ulterior motive beyond what she thought, mistakenly, was her civic duty."

Prosecutors said that Ortega had correctly told authorities she was a resident alien on a driver's license form, while incorrectly checking the U.S. citizen box for the purpose of voting, undercutting her claims that it was an innocent mistake.

Fact check: Republicans claim voter fraud is a huge problem
OCT. 22, 201801:05
Republicans have claimed that the nation is rife with voter fraud, but credible examples are harder to find, and the handful of cases like Ortega's that are uncovered have faced tough prosecutions and stiff penalties in recent years. Earlier this year, a former felon was sent back to jail for voting illegally while on supervised release from prison.

"This case underscores the importance that Texans place on the institution of voting, and the hallowed principle that every citizen’s vote must count," Paxton said in a statement celebrating the ruling. "We will hold those accountable who falsely claim eligibility and purposely subvert the election process in Texas."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...2YtPQSAbz-fYvhetz3gTTGUWWF-LthjiFG8BFYp7KIQbs

Would’ve gotten less for shooting at someone lol.

I'm a PR in Canada. I don't vote here because they explicitly tell you that you can't when they give you the card.

Do they not do that in the US?

Its more time than she should get but she definitely needs to be punished to some degree in order to deter others that would engage in voter fraud.

So this is a thread about a law being broken and a person being punished for it?

Thanks. Guess this is a rare thing.

She should not have voted. It was the wrong thing to do.

8 years?

Fuck me. I would think a fine would be more appropriate, but then people round here may not get that much time for killing someone.

"But officer these aren't my pants I'm just wearing them"

Sounds about the same.

A lawful permanent resident can falsely believe that her lawful status gives her the right to vote - or a parolee can falsely believe that completion of her sentence restores her right to vote - and they get massive prison sentences. Republican lawmakers can pass policies that they know will take away the right to vote for millions and serve no empirical anti-fraud purpose, and they get money, fame, and political support.

A Texas appeals court upheld the conviction of green card holder Rosa Maria Ortega for voter fraud on Wednesday, cementing a sentence of eight years in jail and a likely deportation.

Ortega, a mother of four, reportedly thought she was able to vote because she was a permanent resident. She voted five times between 2004 and 2014 — once for the attorney general, Ken Paxton, who later prosecuted her, according to her attorney. She also reportedly served as a poll worker.

"She doesn't know. She's got this [green] card that says 'resident' on it, so she doesn’t mark that she's not a citizen,” her attorney told the Washington Post said. "She had no ulterior motive beyond what she thought, mistakenly, was her civic duty."

Prosecutors said that Ortega had correctly told authorities she was a resident alien on a driver's license form, while incorrectly checking the U.S. citizen box for the purpose of voting, undercutting her claims that it was an innocent mistake.

Fact check: Republicans claim voter fraud is a huge problem
OCT. 22, 201801:05
Republicans have claimed that the nation is rife with voter fraud, but credible examples are harder to find, and the handful of cases like Ortega's that are uncovered have faced tough prosecutions and stiff penalties in recent years. Earlier this year, a former felon was sent back to jail for voting illegally while on supervised release from prison.

"This case underscores the importance that Texans place on the institution of voting, and the hallowed principle that every citizen’s vote must count," Paxton said in a statement celebrating the ruling. "We will hold those accountable who falsely claim eligibility and purposely subvert the election process in Texas."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/el...2YtPQSAbz-fYvhetz3gTTGUWWF-LthjiFG8BFYp7KIQbs

That seems a bit high, especially since she's likely the tip of the iceberg.
Still, I can't feel too bad for her when there are people serving life on 3rd strike drug offenses.

Still, I can't feel too bad for her when there are people serving life on 3rd strike drug offenses.

I can feel bad for both, because both situations are pretty ridiculous.

I think not intending to break the law should matter - it's not all that should matter, but it should come into play. This doesn't seem malicious, and 8 years in prison seems excessive for the crime. Just like spending time in prison for marijuana possession is also excessive.

I can feel bad for both, because both situations are pretty ridiculous.

I think not intending to break the law should matter - it's not all that should matter, but it should come into play. This doesn't seem malicious, and 8 years in prison seems excessive for the crime. Just like spending time in prison for marijuana possession is also excessive.

How did this lady get on the voter rolls?
There must be some mechanism to prevent non-citizens from simply signing up to vote. She would have had to circumvent those mechanisms somehow.

How did this lady get on the voter rolls?
There must be some mechanism to prevent non-citizens from simply signing up to vote. She would have had to circumvent those mechanisms somehow.

It said she marked "citizen" on her form, which is certainly odd for someone who is a resident but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that it was an honest mistake. I don't have an issue with her realizing some kind of punishment because it is her responsibility to know what she can and can't do as a non-citizen resident. But damn, 8 years is rough. I'm not sure this should carry a higher penalty than extreme-DUI, for instance.

Oh my stalker is back. Starting to like the backdoor pummeling I see.

You seem to have a thing for me, talking about me stalking you, and how you gave me a backdoor pummeling. For the record, I am not gay or bisexual.

But good job not getting the profundity of the case you posted in a thread about.

It said she marked "citizen" on her form, which is certainly odd for someone who is a resident but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that it was an honest mistake. I don't have an issue with her realizing some kind of punishment because it is her responsibility to know what she can and can't do as a non-citizen resident. But damn, 8 years is rough. I'm not sure this should carry a higher penalty than extreme-DUI, for instance.

Is committing voter fraud as simple as checking a box? I thought they needed a SSN to register.

Is committing voter fraud as simple as checking a box? I thought they needed a SSN to register.

I don't think SSN is required, no. Maybe in some cases but I don't recall putting mine on there. I used my license information in California - the less I have to give out my SSN along with all of my other information, the better imo.

Back