News Teofimo Lopez vs Subriel Matias in talks for 2024

Best possible fight at 140 right now. I hope it gets made.

Too much too soon for Teo, if it happens.

Too much too soon for Matias, IMO.
The more I think about it, I agree, Lopez should be smart enough not to make the same tactical mistakes that others have. Matias kind of reminds me of Katsidis a bit.

Big props to Teo if it gets made, he can fight Haney and Garcia for more money when everyone is running scared from Matias and not make much, if Teo is 100% mentally its a 50/50 fight to me

The more I think about it, I agree, Lopez should be smart enough not to make the same tactical mistakes that others have. Matias kind of reminds me of Katsidis a bit.
Teo needs to stay disciplined and not get dragged into a firefight. I think his counterpunching will be key. Matias is a bad dude but he's there to be hit. I don't see that working out well for him in this one.

Gooood fight. Matias needs to do work now, while time is on his side. He has some trouble with movers, but he has proven he can track them down. Matias is seasoned enough, he’ll make it interesting even if Teo plays it ultra safe. What we all want is the FIRE FIGHT, and Teo will play that game.

I think people have gotten way too used to guys who are slick movers having their way, yeah against robots like Taylor sure, but Subriel is a pretty scary matchup for Teo and props if he takes it.

drum up interest, price yourself out, fight a patsy ..

hearn says teo is unrealistic with his wage demands

Yeah and who has he fought? He's not ready for that big of a step up in competition.
Of course he hasnt beat any former world champs yet, he’s gotta start some where and personally I think Ramirez would have been perfect, and you have to give him credit taking 0’s from good contenders including Ergashev who many said was the real boogeyman of 140

With all that said I think Matias is going be hurting for big names to fight him and people wont give him the proper credit because of that, his promoter better put in some work to change all that and get someone in there with him asap, he’s 30 and with his style id say he has 1 or 2 years left in him

Of course he hasnt beat any former world champs yet, he’s gotta start some where and personally I think Ramirez would have been perfect, and you have to give him credit taking 0’s from good contenders including Ergashev who many said was the real boogeyman of 140

With all that said I think Matias is going be hurting for big names to fight him and people wont give him the proper credit because of that, his promoter better put in some work to change all that and get someone in there with him asap, he’s 30 and with his style id say he has 1 or 2 years left in him

Exactly. Matias does not have a slow-burn style or career path. He needs to make the big fights now and not let shit "marinate" And this is a world champion we are talking about, not some rising prospect.

If Matias can eat the early right hands that are bound to land then Teo is on for a long night. He may have a little rust to shake off one year after Taylor, BTW.

I don’t think Matias can improve much at this point. He defends and he counters agressors better than he used to but he’ll never be a slickster and his chin won’t hold forever. Teo is a clear favorite on paper but this is a good fight to make next year.

Last edited:
Someone like Catterall, Barboza or Ramirez.
So a 2nd tier guy as opposed to an A lister like Lopez or Haney. I’m okay with 1 guy like that just to see how it goes but I see nothing but dog and grown ass man in this Subriel, he’s like an animal loosed on prey. That’s his selling point above all, I don’t think dude is gonna learn to box safely, he has subtle tendencies that show he’s seasoned enough, but yeah for his health and earning ability maybe one fight with a quantifiable name we know before a complete fighter like Lopez…

…still, I don’t feel too afraid for Matias here, I think he’s okay to go now tbh.

Teo has the right style for Matias with the counterpunching...he'd just have to be disiplined to go 12, trying to go to war with Matias is suicide

Back