Teminator vs Terminator 2 - Alien vs Aliens

The order here for me is Terminator 2, Aliens, Alien Terminator 1.

The effects in T2 and Aliens and even Alien hold up today. Terminator 1's stop motion ages it drastically. Never mind it was released as a B grade 80's horror movie that happened to get enough of a cult following to score a sequel that Cameron knocked out of the park.

Don't get me wrong, I like Terminator. But I think this thread is suffering from rose tinted glasses.

The "rose tinted glasses" argument is so dumb. I don't like Terminator simply because it was cool 30 years ago. I like it because it's a genuinely excellent film, even to this day. It still holds up in 2016 as an all time great.

Considering its small budget, I think some of the dated effects adds to its charm. The biggest effect I dislike from the first Terminator is the one where right after Arnold cuts his eye out you can blatantly tell it's a giant animatronic version of Arnold looking in the mirror. That one doesn't really do it for me. But Cameron even said his whole goal in that shot was to make Arnold appear as inhuman as possible, and the best way to do that was to go the route they did. That, plus the era and budget have to be taken into consideration. But it's really no different than in modern films where a shot or effect is almost entirely CGI and you can blatantly tell it's fake as shit. It's just, at least for me, the old school, organic, in-frame effects are so much better and cooler because they're actually capable of eliciting a reaction, whereas I can't tell you how many CGI-fest "action films" I've seen that literally had me numb to the core.

But everything else is great. Even the stop motion. There's just something creepy about the way it looks in the darkness.

Speaking of stop motion, I can still watch the original Clash of the Titans and enjoy the hell out of it, but the modern one with all its big CGI is numbing as hell. This is another one where I was fighting to pay attention and even stay awake.

I want a STAR WARS series built on classic effects and mimicking old film stock. People would totally watch throwback shit like that.

Oh, I guarantee it. I've seen a lot of fan films (not necessarily about Star Wars) that were done like this with throwback effects that actually MATCHED almost exactly the way effects looked back in the back. If they can do it for a 15 minute short, why can't the big studios (with hundreds of millions of dollars to throw around) do the same thing for a feature length movie?

It's so weird. It's like, several years ago, if you looked at all the "official" Michael Myers Halloween masks, they all looked like shit. But the fan made independent unofficial masks looked almost spot on to the ones in the films. It's mind boggling how the fans can get it right but the big studios can't, or wont.

Two exceptions to the rule.

Scream 2, ironically. is no exception to the rule. Still loved it.

Oh, I guarantee it. I've seen a lot of fan films (not necessarily about Star Wars) that were done like this with throwback effects that actually MATCHED almost exactly the way effects looked back in the back. If they can do it for a 15 minute short, why can't the big studios (with hundreds of millions of dollars to throw around) do the same thing for a feature length movie?

It's so weird. It's like, several years ago, if you looked at all the "official" Michael Myers Halloween masks, they all looked like shit. But the fan made independent unofficial masks looked almost spot on to the ones in the films. It's mind boggling how the fans can get it right but the big studios can't, or wont.

Fun fact. The original Mike Myers mask was a build up from a Captain Kirk mask.

Michael_Myers_HalloweenII.jpg

This has nothing to do with this, but I was at a meeting and there was a woman who looked like a young Sigourney Weaver in attendance. Needless to say I was fantasizing about her which led me to think about Alien and Aliens and how they are sequel, yet vastly different. Weird this thread poped up while I was just contemplating the same thing. Maybe I'm channeling Sherdog in real life.

There you have it.

My life won't be complete until I pour my heart out to a woman with this in the background

Terminator had that heart to it of Sarah and Kyle but so did T2 with the father/son relationship of Arnold and John. He knew why he cried damn it!!

They both have awesome scenes with semi trucks. Arnold's biker bar intro made me fall in love with motorcycles(the Fat Boy is still my dream bike cause of T2). I can't chose!

Terminator had that heart to it of Sarah and Kyle but so did T2 with the father/son relationship of Arnold and John. He knew why he cried damn it!!

They both have awesome scenes with semi trucks. Arnold's biker bar intro made me fall in love with motorcycles(the Fat Boy is still my dream bike cause of T2). I can't chose!

775335071815116432.png

It may seem silly but one thing that always annoyed me about The Terminator is how Kyle is in a department store and gets a pair of Nike shoes, a new trench coat.... but steals pants from a homeless guy.

It may seem silly but one thing that always annoyed me about The Terminator is how Kyle is in a department store and gets a pair of Nike shoes, a new trench coat.... but steals pants from a homeless guy.

uuugh at putting that guys piss stinking pants on ehehehe

1st terminator as T2 lead to the pussification of the arnold model and the pussification of a generation.

he already had pants when he got into the department store as he stole them from the bum and he got caught by police as he was putting on the pants so he had to run. he did not have sneakers and a trenchcoat. did you see the future this dude just came back from???

I liked the Terminator over T2 and Aliens over
Alien too bad the rest of sequels for both sucked
a**.

How about Predator 1 vs Predator 2 or Robocop 1
vs Robocop 2?

I feel as though the movies and their respective sequels are apples and oranges - you can't really compare them because their intentions are so different from one another. But ironically enough, Alien has strong parallels with Terminator and Aliens with T2.

In the original movies, you have inexperienced, civilian victims (Sarah Connor, Ripley &crew) against an unstoppable force of evil. In the sequels the heroes have more knowledge and weaponry on their side (Arnold's good Terminator, the Colonial Marines) but Cameron wanted to show just how much the stakes had risen because, in spite of their seemingly advantageous position, the heroes still have to struggle to accomplish their objectives.

As a result, the tone of the sequels shifts from something that is horror-based, to more of an action-based premise. As an audience, in the first movies we are asking ourselves "what" is after them. In the sequels, we know what is after them, so we are now asking "how" they are going to win.

For this reason I can't really compare the original films with their sequels. I love Alien for its claustrophobic feel and the horror of being trapped in small spaces with an unspeakable monster, and the paranoia of body horror (facehuggers, chestbursters, getting cocooned, etc.). I also love Aliens for the glimpse into the xeno's natural hive environment. The queen protecting her egg children just as Ripley was trying to protect her surrogate daughter Newt. Mother vs. Mother.

Same score for Terminator. The thought of being chased by this inhuman, unstoppable killing machine is absolutely horrifying. And in the sequel we get to see man and machine gain a newfound respect for each other. Arnold learns about human emotions and grows to care for John Connor, to the point of self-sacrificing itself to ensure their survival. John forms an attachment to a killing machine, the closest thing to a father he's ever known. And Sarah Connor realizes that the Terminator can grow to care about others and learns to respect it.

I feel as though the movies and their respective sequels are apples and oranges - you can't really compare them because their intentions are so different from one another. But ironically enough, Alien has strong parallels with Terminator and Aliens with T2.

In the original movies, you have inexperienced, civilian victims (Sarah Connor, Ripley &crew) against an unstoppable force of evil. In the sequels the heroes have more knowledge and weaponry on their side (Arnold's good Terminator, the Colonial Marines) but Cameron wanted to show just how much the stakes had risen because, in spite of their seemingly advantageous position, the heroes still have to struggle to accomplish their objectives.

As a result, the tone of the sequels shifts from something that is horror-based, to more of an action-based premise. As an audience, in the first movies we are asking ourselves "what" is after them. In the sequels, we know what is after them, so we are now asking "how" they are going to win.

For this reason I can't really compare the original films with their sequels. I love Alien for its claustrophobic feel and the horror of being trapped in small spaces with an unspeakable monster, and the paranoia of body horror (facehuggers, chestbursters, getting cocooned, etc.). I also love Aliens for the glimpse into the xeno's natural hive environment. The queen protecting her egg children just as Ripley was trying to protect her surrogate daughter Newt. Mother vs. Mother.

Same score for Terminator. The thought of being chased by this inhuman, unstoppable killing machine is absolutely horrifying. And in the sequel we get to see man and machine gain a newfound respect for each other. Arnold learns about human emotions and grows to care for John Connor, to the point of self-sacrificing itself to ensure their survival. John forms an attachment to a killing machine, the closest thing to a father he's ever known. And Sarah Connor realizes that the Terminator can grow to care about others and learns to respect it.

Top post!

I liked the Terminator over T2 and Aliens over
Alien too bad the rest of sequels for both sucked
a**.

How about Predator 1 vs Predator 2 or Robocop 1
vs Robocop 2?

Predator 2 i thought was a good movie,but it fails to really push the envelope as the first one did. You have a predator set loose in los angeles,and really the scene in the train is the only time he really caused serious carnage,the rest of the time he hunted drug dealers no one really gave a shit about,and two cops. I still enjoy both for what they are and find them highly entertaining. Robocop 2 is probably the same situation,i do remember feeling that,but..its been so long since i watched robocop 2 i dont really want to comment too much. I think its time to stop making the Predators humanistic and good for awhile,and time to set them as the bad guy again,and so id like to see them try to do a city enviornment again or some chaotic place,where he or "they" can do some serious damage and kill people you actually care about to drive the point home. I realize that several predators in suits is very difficult...cos for all the high tech posibilites of the first avp movie,they only had three predators in it. As a fan this was a little dissapointing...but i guess it made sense in the limited space (pyramid) that they had to work in.

The first AVP comic series had it right,tons of aliens,tons of predators killing innocents,and it wasnt in some shitty bullshit american town like avp 2,where you couldnt care less about the characters. Even less than the first avp.

1st films were more like sci-fi horror, sequels were sci-fi action. I prefer the sequels.

I watched T1/T2 today for the 100th time

T2 is just amazing .

Going to watch another James Cameron movie tonight, never actually watched this one at all, despite having it for years.

the abyss

Back