Movies TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: THE LAST RONIN R-Rated Live-Action Movie in the Works

When are people going to realize that an R rating doesn't automatically mean a movie will be better because of it? Just because you're now allowed to use "fuck", sex scenes, and show murder, does not a great movie make.

Now I'm not necessarily against it. But story and characters should always be first priority. If a movie is using an R rating so they can make a great movie without having to worry whether or not they're drawing outside the lines of the rules, then ok. But if they're doing to so they can simply show more gore or cuss, well then that's weak.

When you think R rating, you shouldn't think Deadpool or The Boys. You should think Gladiator, Last Samurai, Terminator. Those movies rock an R rating, and the average person would have a hard time remembering why it was rated as such.

Here's to hoping for the best, and expecting the worst.
For the most part yes, but an R-rating can also mean a darker and deeper story since it can go to places that lower rated movies may not be able to for various reasons. Now PG-13 to R is not a huge leap, but most TMNT stuff is pretty campy so I imagine this lets go way beyond that campiness.

That story was awesome but it doesn't feel like the ninja turtles everyone knows and loves, dark as shit.

I could see it working, lots of the people that grew up with them are old as fuck now and would enjoy it.

Book is black and white to hide the identity of the turtle on the revenge mission, movie would have to be similar bc the mystery of that is a big part of the story.

Black and white R rated live action ninja turtle movie sounds tricky.
Turtle "Ronin" had all the weapons. Like the first lam, just remove the colored hand kerchief from said tortugguh and there it is.

Loved the comic series and I'm super happy we are finally getting an R rated Turtles movie.

I just hope the actual Turtles are in costumes and not CG but I bet they'll be lazy and CG it. My only complaint with the story is it gets a little to sci-fi and wish it was set more in the 80s/90s on the streets. Other than that, super looking forward to it.

R-rated "Ninja Turtles"....???

I mean, I'm all for it, but I doubt it sees the light of day.

- They're got hated for the old tv series. The 2002 series showed Leo decaptating Shreder. The IDW comics are very good.

I think this has tremendous potential to be a massive bomb regardless of whether it’s good. Kids won’t be going to see it and the demographic that grew up on TMNT in the late 80s and early 90s (ie my generation) is of questionable reliance to put butts in seats if we can’t take our kids to go see this. I can’t even think of the last time I went the movies without my kids. I think maybe Thor Love and Thunder with my wife and it was a huge fucking turd. Prior to that probably the last James Bond.

The comic is actually extremely depressing

Here's the rundown if you dont want to wait for the movie

R-rated "Ninja Turtles"....???

I mean, I'm all for it, but I doubt it sees the light of day.
I remember hearing that the original Ninja Turtles comics were violent as shit. Noting at all like the kids show from our childhoods.

This is probably closer to the original source material.

I think this has tremendous potential to be a massive bomb regardless of whether it’s good. Kids won’t be going to see it and the demographic that grew up on TMNT in the late 80s and early 90s (ie my generation) is of questionable reliance to put butts in seats if we can’t take our kids to go see this. I can’t even think of the last time I went the movies without my kids. I think maybe Thor Love and Thunder with my wife and it was a huge fucking turd. Prior to that probably the last James Bond.

It seems like far too much of a risk and studios tend to hate risks. I don’t see why they have to go 180 from how Turtles property has been used of late. Why not just follow the template of the awesome 1990 film but ramp up the intensity a little bit more. Get a solid live action pg13 film that takes itself serious, has intense scenes, and also maintain a good sense of fun, comedic relief at times. Full R rating seems counterproductive financially like you said.

And even if this comic is highly revered, I don’t think people want to see 3 Turtles dispatched and one trying to avenge them. A lot of the appeal of those characters is the group dynamic. It’s not a one man show.

I remember hearing that the original Ninja Turtles comics were violent as shit. Noting at all like the kids show from our childhoods.

This is probably closer to the original source material.
Yeah, but I have a feeling whatever studio is contemplating this, will ultimately not want to lose that demo and depend on adults to make up for it with a product that, despite it's beginnings, has been geared towards children for 3 decades. Just from a business perspective, it seems insane.

Back