Techniques to induce muscle gain WHILE decreasing fat?

J

johnnydussimo

Hear me out

I want to be as strong as possible for my weight class, without having to cut a lot of fat just beforehand because it is a step better skipped if possible. I know some will say "lift heavy and let your body sort itself out, doesn't matter abuot fat %, only strength" but the more muscle I can have, with as little fat (realistically) the more efficient I figure I can be

So I'm not asking for a routine or anytihng so much as techniques or tips for inducing muscle gain while also decreasing fat?

Tell me if I'm being unclear or nonspecific and I'll try to rephrase

I've heard its not possible to decrease fat and build muscle at the same time.

Metafour said:

at least not efficiently. cardio is best for fat, weights for strength. kinda hard to have both at the same time. cant imagine someone on the treadmill doing presses

sticking to a good diet is probably the best thing.

im ripped and very very strong and i find myself overexerting myself when other people can keep going. i think fat is necessary for energy

johnnydussimo said:
Hear me out

I want to be as strong as possible for my weight class, without having to cut a lot of fat just beforehand because it is a step better skipped if possible. I know some will say "lift heavy and let your body sort itself out, doesn't matter abuot fat %, only strength" but the more muscle I can have, with as little fat (realistically) the more efficient I figure I can be

So I'm not asking for a routine or anytihng so much as techniques or tips for inducing muscle gain while also decreasing fat?

Tell me if I'm being unclear or nonspecific and I'll try to rephrase

DIET! Exercise itself has very little to do with what type of progress you will make. It is possible but you may have to make sure your switching it up each session to keep your body adapting.

Metafour said:

That's what's confusing me

I mean in theory it is impossible to maintain a caloric surplus to gain muscle, and deficit to decrease fat. But then could it be possible (through diet, and importantly timing your [a] exercise, and food intake) to effectively create a bulk-cut cycle within the time frame of a day?

Basically I train every morning except two, 9am to 11 or 12. The other two days a week I have to myself, and I do weights somewhere within the day, usually afternoon.

A frequently recommended way to lose fat is of course, exercise in the morning on an empty stomach. I have breakfast 1-1.5hrs before I start training, and I have glucose in my water when I train, and then I eat as soon after training as I can. This is all to a) be able to train as hard as possible, and b) to put on muscle. But then is there a way I can lose fat while doing this? Because it's bloody beyond me. Any ideas?

Of course, putting on muscle itself will burn more calories and fat, but to put on/maintain the muscle I just have to increase the calories I consume which will negate the extra calories burned by the extra muscle. Fuck I'm confusing myself

I guess what I'm looking for is ways that consuming different foods at different times relative to training and sleep can affect metabolism and anabolism, etc, to my advantage.

The thing is the body will burn the protein or muscle first before going to the fat supply.

OpethDrums said:
im ripped and very very strong and i find myself overexerting myself when other people can keep going. i think fat is necessary for energy

I don't see fat marathon runners. I would guess you're either ripped and very strong and very unfit, or because you're strong you overcompensate wiht strength which is why you tire before other people

Back to topic - I am prepared to do whatever it takes, short of a) sacrificing other aspects of my training, and b) illegal supplements. I already don't drink soft drink or eat crap or whatever, I'll cut out anything I need to, I just want to destroy people in wrestling.

johnnydussimo said:
That's what's confusing me

I mean in theory it is impossible to maintain a caloric surplus to gain muscle, and deficit to decrease fat. But then could it be possible (through diet, and importantly timing your [a] exercise, and food intake) to effectively create a bulk-cut cycle within the time frame of a day?

Basically I train every morning except two, 9am to 11 or 12. The other two days a week I have to myself, and I do weights somewhere within the day, usually afternoon.

A frequently recommended way to lose fat is of course, exercise in the morning on an empty stomach. I have breakfast 1-1.5hrs before I start training, and I have glucose in my water when I train, and then I eat as soon after training as I can. This is all to a) be able to train as hard as possible, and b) to put on muscle. But then is there a way I can lose fat while doing this? Because it's bloody beyond me. Any ideas?

Of course, putting on muscle itself will burn more calories and fat, but to put on/maintain the muscle I just have to increase the calories I consume which will negate the extra calories burned by the extra muscle. Fuck I'm confusing myself

I guess what I'm looking for is ways that consuming different foods at different times relative to training and sleep can affect metabolism and anabolism, etc, to my advantage.

you dont need a caloric surplus to build muscle. if you keep your diet constant, while increasing activity levels, you can can improve your body composition. it isnt necesarily efficient, but it will work. on the other hand, improving body composition is never efficient. you shouldnt need to do any 'tricks' to make your body use fats etc. over other fuels. just remember that your body can never use fats for energy under normal circumstances, so all excess dietary fat goes straight to adipose tissue. so really the best thing to do is:

-monitor caloric intake
-monitor fat intake

your last paragraph, dont worry about it. increase your calories if you feel you arent getting enough for training, but do it slowly, mostly through carbs and protein. this will make sure you keep a correct calrorie balance in relation to your body mass.

The best one can do is maintain or minimize muscle loss whle dieting to make someone's fat % drop.

Reakt said:
What people said above, a good diet, check out the zig-zag diet: http://www.drsquat.com/index.cfm?action=viewarticle&articleID=58

i managed to stay the same weight but lose bodyfat (13.6-10.5%) on a combo of this + heavy lifting + HIIT

Fucking awesome dude, cheers

I don't have time to read it yet, gotta lift, but I'll read it later. I did click on it though, and saw "Fred Hatfield" and "how to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time" so hopefully it will answer some of my questions

johnnydussimo said:
Fucking awesome dude, cheers

I don't have time to read it yet, gotta lift, but I'll read it later. I did click on it though, and saw "Fred Hatfield" and "how to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time" so hopefully it will answer some of my questions

Also heed what Cocky told you. Watch your fat.

All i can say is that it is definatelly possible (i have seen a friend of mine lossing 20 kg of bodyfat and putting on some serious amounts muscles and strength in the same time). I would say, that diet (although he didnt use a special one, well he is a vegetarian but...) is the key.

So in realm of this discussion... Glutamine: A savior or just wasted money?

Mind you I am talking about HIIT in the morning in conjunction with Glutamine.

You can do it, but you have to have your diet almost perfect. I have been doing it for the past sevreral months in anticipation for a fight in feb/march. I started out at about 195-200 and and am now 184 and stronger/physically larger muscles than i was 4 months ago at 195-200. It can be done, dont listen to the naysayers, it just takes hard work and dedication.

I have never had a better diet in my life and never felt better and can train longer and harder than ever before.

I use a workout plan i made with the help of Entropy on here, along with countless hours of trainning. It can be done, if your not a pussy.

sylva said:
You can do it, but you have to have your diet almost perfect. I have been doing it for the past sevreral months in anticipation for a fight in feb/march. I started out at about 195-200 and and am now 184 and stronger/physically larger muscles than i was 4 months ago at 195-200. It can be done, dont listen to the naysayers, it just takes hard work and dedication.

I have never had a better diet in my life and never felt better and can train longer and harder than ever before.

I use a workout plan i made with the help of Entropy on here, along with countless hours of trainning. It can be done, if your not a pussy.

Well aside from one post, I think most people agree it's possible. Just not as easy to gain muscle mass while trying to lose weight.

sylva said:

Care to post it? I'd be interested to read it

I've gained 10lbs of muscle and lost about 30lbs of fat but it took 14 months to do it.

1)Eat every 2-3 hours-someitmes a small handful of raw almonds or a meal replacement made from triple concentrated milk and nestle quik or soy milk (wink entropy).

2)I cheat alot so you don't have to be perfect. I probably could've had qicker results if stayed focused at all times but i'm not in a rush.

3)Get plenty of sleep and rest.

4)Some months i trained as little as 8x/month for strength and never more than 11.
Legs=lunges or squats (i've been squatting with a sandbag lately but lunges are great too)
Back= Powercleans, one arm rows, chins, deadlifts-never all 4 usually 2 of the 4
Chest=dumbell benchpress, push-press,
Although recently i've been experimenting with a sandbag.
5)Tabatta squats and pistols or push-ups inserted here and there if i'm going too long without strength training,no more than 4 minutes a session

The hardest part is eating...i use w--d to keep the appetite going sometimes, not for everybody.

I measure nothing.

Save time and train at home!
My JKD training definitely suffers in intensity and frequency but i still able to do it 2x/week fresh. I'm doing alot of weapons training right now which is great cause alot of the skills have to be learned slowly so i'm not wiped out.

I find once you get that massive quality to your physique and reach a certain level strength wise its easier to maintain after ahwile. I've had weeks where i've blown off training, lived on Dunkin Donuts and pizza for several days and then was able to hop back on the horse and shockingly am to not to far off from where i was.

Walking at a brisk but not crazy pace 3-4x/ week.

Stay calm as much as possible. Poise counts in using your energy efficiently. I don't get bothered by anything to much these days...the Fedor mindset...

Have a flexible schedule. Sometimes if my legs or back is really sore i lay off the JKD for a few days and train "slo" or mental training. I don't do 2 intense workouts in one day. Then again i'm not training for a specific fight...

Back