Technique for eliminating DOMS

mobeck

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technique to Eliminate Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness

EDIT -

FULL ABSTRACT:

IN two identical experiments (20 men, 28 women), well-conditioned athletes paired by similar physical condition were assigned randomly to experimental or control groups. Heart Rate (HR - Independent Variable) was recorded with HR Monitors. DOMS (Dependent variable) was self-reported using Borg's Rating of Perceived Pain scale. After identical pre-training strength testing, mean DOMS in the experimental and control groups was indistinguishable for musculature employed in eight resistance exercises in both genders, validating the dependent variiable. Subjects then trained three times per week for 9 (men) to 11 (women) weeks in a progressive, whole-body, concurrent training protocol. Before each set of resistance exercises, experimental subjects cardioaccelerated briefly (mean HR during resistance training, 63.7% HR reserve), whereas control subjects rested briefly (mean HR, 33.5% HR reserve). Mean DOMS among all muscle groups and workouts was discernibly less in experimental than control groups in men and women; less for each muscle group used in nine resistance exercises in both genders, discernible in 15 of 18 comparisons; and less in every workout, discernible in 32% (men) and 55% (women) of workouts. Most effect sizes were moderate. In both genders, mean DOMS per workout disappeared by the fourth week of training in experimental but not control groups. Aerobic cardioacceleration immediately before each set of resistance exercises therefore rapidly eliminates DOMS during vigorous progressive resistance training in athletes.

Davis, W. J., Wood, D. T., Andrews, R. G., Elkind, L. M., Davis, W. B. (2008). Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 22(1), 212-225.

(3/13/2008)

CARDIOACCELERATION SPECIFICS:

Experimental subjects began each exercise session with a 20-minute aerobic exercise warm-up (generally treadmill running) in which they rapidly attained and sustained an HR corresponding to exercise of vigorous intensity, 60-84% of HRR, calculated using the Karvonen method. THe rationale for prolonging the warm-up was to induce sufficient cardiovascular fatigue to support more rapid subsequent cardioacceleration and to limit subsequent HR recovery in these well-conditioned athletes, enabling experimental subjects to achieve and sustain a higher HR during the resistance training that immediately followed the warm-up.

After the aerobic warm-up, experimental subjects began integrated concurrent resistance training consisting of three sets of each of the nine resistance exercises. Immediately before every set, experimental subjects elevated their HR to the upper portion of the vigorous range (60-84% of HRR) by performing a short (.5-1 minute) bout of vigorous aerobic exercise (cardioacceleration), enabling them to sustain an elevated HR through the subsequent set of resistance exercise. Experimental subjects used hte cardiovascular machine or exercise of their choice for cardioacceleration, usually treadmill running. Experimental subjects concluded each exercise session with a cool-down consisting of 12 ROM exercises during which they reduced their HR to the low end of the range corresponding to light exercise (20-39% HRR).

--THe study didn't look at the difference in strength gains between the experimental and control groups. However, at the end of the article they touch upon this in a way:

"...this study documents a new training protocol, integrated concurrent exercise, which rapidly eliminates DOMS. THe rapid attenuation of DOMS during integrated concurrent training implies faster recovery of skeletal muscle after a strong exercise stimulus, which should support more frequent training and faster progression during all high-intensity training modes, including endurance, strength, power, and agility. Even when DOMS is not an issue in a training program, integrated concurrent training would be expected to support faster development..."

very interesting indeed...

I got this same e-mail the other day too. Totally forgot to bring it up. I wish they had a stated %, and what they did before hand (bike, running, etc).

I don't know how I'd go about this... a few burpees before a heavy squat doesn't sounds fun.

Cardio, prior to each set? It's a bit impractical, no?

Cardio, prior to each set? It's a bit impractical, no?

Well, I'm not sure exactly what the mode of cardio was...I'm gonna see if I can find the full article in the database.

It wouldn't be too impractical if you were adding a new stimulus to your routine and were concerned about soreness due to that...you could apply this technique the first couple of times you performed the exercise.

I've found that drinking my whey shake after my workouts has drastically reduced my DOMS.

I used to get pretty bad doms till I asked fatty in his log about it. He gave me the down low and now I'm good to go!

About 4 weeks ago I started swimming laps before I lifted and I've noticed alot less soreness ever since then.

I have one concern, kind of. I would think reducing the damage to muscle fiber would also reduce the effectiveness of a workout. Since our body essentially builds more dense muscle fiber in place of damaged areas when we recover.

I've found that a PWO shot of ACV in my whey shake has really reduced how much I get DOMS.

I usually jog, jump rope, or do the elliptical for 5-10 minutes prior to working out, just enough to get a good sweat. That plus proper peri-wo nutrition, and post workout stretching with bands, has pretty much taken away any crippling soreness.

when i wanna reduce doms i just workout half assed, and dont work out your legs to make your upper body look bigger, nah seriously stretching works for me and eating a lot the next day actually helps

Did they say how their improvement compared?

I'd much rather keep the DOMs if I'm able to lift more.

Well, I'm not sure exactly what the mode of cardio was...I'm gonna see if I can find the full article in the database.

Please post more if you do find it. Sounds interesting. I'm currently in recovery from a RC surgery, so I know when I can actually start working out for real again DOMS is gonna kick my ass.

I sometimes stretch a little between sets and that+pre-workout cardio warm-up helps me... but I don't think I would ever want to do cardio between EVERY set... no sir.

I always break a sweat before strength training. Then do yoga on my days off. Works for me.

Ok, I'm gonna say it again.

FUCKING, SMOKING DOPE, AND LETTING ALTERNATING CYCLES OF HOT AND COLD WATER RAIN DOWN ON YOU.

Bitches. Goddamnit.

Ok, I'm gonna say it again.

FUCKING, SMOKING DOPE, AND LETTING ALTERNATING CYCLES OF HOT AND COLD WATER RAIN DOWN ON YOU.

Bitches. Goddamnit.

I would have to concur. I don't really like the contrast showers to much, but the weed and teh secks I can handle.

Back