Technical aspects of Gnp

Couple points

Understand traditional "high" posture inside closed guard as well as good "low" or "safety" posture inside closed guard. Safety posture is inside control of biceps, head in middle of chest, stay tight.

The idea is to build up a base from safety posture to high posture. From high posture you throw your bombs and immediately reset to low posture, then build up again.

Also, your armbar anticipation, sensitivity, and counters should be very good. Anticipating an armbar in reaction to your punch then countering with a pass is a very good strategy, especially in slippery conditions.

More effective? Depends on the guy on the bottom I suppose.

Sure, but what I meant was if people believed that ground and pound offered a higher finish rate than submissions. If someone has some statistics that would be nice.

Sure, but what I meant was if people believed that ground and pound offered a higher finish rate than submissions. If someone has some statistics that would be nice.

From my unscientific MMA watching observations I think it would be pretty even. However legit K.O's from GNP seem pretty rare and most tend to be TKO's usually after hurting the opponent on the feet, where as a submission win would probably be more likely after prolonged ground exchanges

Watch Gunni Nelsons last fight he had some of the most technical GNP I have seen in ages,really nice hand fighting and well placed shots.

Watch Gunni Nelsons last fight he had some of the most technical GNP I have seen in ages,really nice hand fighting and well placed shots.

I came here to say that! You thief of ideas! :icon_chee

Gunnar understood how amazing mount can be if one optimizes his gnp for it.

I came here to say that! You thief of ideas! :icon_chee

Gunnar understood how amazing mount can be if one optimizes his gnp for it.

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/just-came-back-gunnar-nelson-seminar-2709857/

It sounds like he puts a lot of thought into his GNP especially from mount, it would be awesome to go to one of his seminars

Downward elbows would make GnP from the mount, back, and even side control WAY more lethal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back