Taking a non-grappler down is easy

try taking down somone who is 6 ft 8 600 pounds with tons of fat. That would be extremely hard (regardless if they have grappling exp. or not).

does kicking in their knee and then jumping on top of them count? if not, ill take that idea for a thread over to the Standup forum.

i rolled with chris cooper, former defensive lineman for the Raiders and he was one of the toughest people who ive ever tried to take down. hes a non grappler

Once you got him down,did you Reverse DLR to Berimbolo for an advantage? Show that mfer who was boss.

Also worth noting untrained people never see the overhand right to the back of the head coming when they are waiting in line for drink at a bar.

I think there is something in that for all of us, hmmmmmmmm.

I suppose they're easy to sub as well?

if you can take him down and you are at least decent at grappling, I see no reason why he should not be easy to sub... it should be very easy to sub a non grappler.

try taking a non grappler down (like a rugby player).

I keep getting shit because of this, thing is, most guys dont know how fucking tough these guys are, they love to fight, they are some of the tougher mother fuckers around (tough doesnt mean they got skills) and they have some pretty power full legs, plus they live to tackle people down...

I keep getting shit because of this, thing is, most guys dont know how fucking tough these guys are, they love to fight, they are some of the tougher mother fuckers around (tough doesnt mean they got skills) and they have some pretty power full legs, plus they live to tackle people down...

I agree a lot of gracie fan boys think a 4 stripe white is invincible. Ruby and football players are most likely not getting taken down by a white belt in bjj maybe even an early blue if they are doing standard bjj training with very little takedowns.

I agree a lot of gracie fan boys think a 4 stripe white is invincible. Ruby and football players are most likely not getting taken down by a white belt in bjj maybe even an early blue if they are doing standard bjj training with very little takedowns.

the sad part is honestly traditionally bjj practitioners takededowns are not as good as most other grapplers because of the thought that being on the bottom in jui jitsu is still a winnable potion.

judo and wrestling is all about keeping a base and being explosive bjj just doesnt emphasize those things as heavily its more about being slick with your technique than overpowering an opponent.

if you can take him down and you are at least decent at grappling, I see no reason why he should not be easy to sub... it should be very easy to sub a non grappler.

I suppose I should have said "in other words water is wet" instead

the sad part is honestly traditionally bjj practitioners takededowns are not as good as most other grapplers because of the thought that being on the bottom in jui jitsu is still a winnable potion.

judo and wrestling is all about keeping a base and being explosive bjj just doesnt emphasize those things as heavily its more about being slick with your technique than overpowering an opponent.

It is a winnable option especially if you are waaaaay better than your opponent, (Ex: Vinny Magalhaes vs Igor Prokrajac I know I didnt spell it right). Vinny's BJJ is on a whole other level. or if you are also fighting an opponent that doesn't know BJJ. The guard has just become a lot less effective because people learned how to defend subs and sweeps and use GnP effectively. It is still somewhat effective though.

I once looked at a guy trained in jiu jitsu and he just fell and butt scooted.

I find stand-up grappling is ridiculously easy against new guys. You don't even need to set anything up. My bread and butter combinations are Ouchi Gari > Osoto Gari and Ouchi Gari > Uchi Mata (Yamashita <3), but against a new guy you can just hit the major technique without the footsweep or even bothering with that pesky kuzushi - they just go down easily (same with your average BJJ player, provided he doesn't instantly pull guard and you can defeat his Mighty Stiff Arms of Doom). It's actually quite funny.

try taking down somone who is 6 ft 8 600 pounds with tons of fat. That would be extremely hard (regardless if they have grappling exp. or not).

Pull guard > Omoplata > wrist lock

Easy. :icon_chee

I find stand-up grappling is ridiculously easy against new guys. You don't even need to set anything up. My bread and butter combinations are Ouchi Gari > Osoto Gari and Ouchi Gari > Uchi Mata (Yamashita <3), but against a new guy you can just hit the major technique without the footsweep or even bothering with that pesky kuzushi - they just go down easily (same with your average BJJ player, provided he doesn't instantly pull guard and you can defeat his Mighty Stiff Arms of Doom). It's actually quite funny.

Pull guard > Omoplata > wrist lock

Easy. :icon_chee

Dude, you made me laugh REALLY hard. :D

I REALLY hate trying to shoot doubles and singles when my opponent grabs my Gi and keeps his arms as stiff as if he was drowning in order to keep me away from him.

Yesterday a friend of mine called me a bitch and told me 'karate' was gay so I took him down and instantly got americana. He then asked me to please stop that I was going to break his arm. It was actually really fun... Back to the topic, I have a number of friends (athletes:crossfit, baseball, rugby) who I don't think I could take down in a million years...

Athletic people who are used to contact are hard to beat. We have a white belt former collegiate linebacker in my club, he's built like a brick shithouse 240 6'0", and even as a bigger purple belt I have some trouble controlling him sometimes. I can sweep him at will but maintaining control of a strong, athletic, explosive dude is really hard. And if I let him get a grip, it's a battle to get it back. I basically have to roll with him as if he's a lot more experienced than he is, because if I treated him like a normal white belt he'd probably spend a lot of time on top of me, which I'd rather avoid. I'd hate to try and take him down in a streetfight...I think I probably could, but it would be risky and not easy by any means.

Lol, yes they are. I always use this one sweep (dunno the name) and it never fails. Did this to my friends older brother at her birthday party after he challenged me to it. I then RNC'd him within like 20 seconds. But then I was gassed lol. It's been a long time since I've grappled.

Back