Takedowns with one hand?

trifecta

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I tend to pull guard from standing and was interested in hearing what kinds of takedowns might be available to a one-handed person such as myself.

Of the ones I've tried, there are too I'm familiar with and could potentially pull off:

-grabbing cross collar and pulling them a step towards me, across my centerline. My far side leg goes between their legs and hooks their far side leg. While this is happening my entire arm more or less clotheslines their waist to the floor, not sure what that one is called (maybe a modified single-leg?) but it's very effective for me.

-grabbing the cross collar and putting my foot into their opposite hip while falling back, my coach calls this the "monkey" sweep?

I'm also interested in trying grips/angles while standing to take advantage of the one hand. What are your guys' thoughts?

Let me know, thanks!

There was a Japanese who really hit a one-handed Ouchi Gari.

I wouldn't use Cross Grips from standing, you're inviting a Waki Gatame.

I don't have much input other than watch research how Machado dealt with it

There was a Japanese who really hit a one-handed Ouchi Gari.

I wouldn't use Cross Grips from standing, you're inviting a Waki Gatame.

Good to know! I suppose it could still be done with a same side grip, the idea is to just pull enough they take a step towards you.

When my arm was in a sling i could still hit and finish my inside low single just as easy with one arm

Footsweeps.

Easier said than done though.

Start practicing now....

I think you have to catch them on the half beat.
Move them and make them react.
Ashi waza... ko uchi, o uchi, deashi, etc.
Kenjit
Flying scissors with post.

Of note would be
Do you have your arm or any type of limb?
You could use that to snap, pop, etc. Depending.

tai otoshi gripping the forearm just below the elbow.

korean seoi nage with a lapel grip will work too, you're winding into your hand with your shoulder so you should be fine.

are you one-armed or one-handed? if you have an elbow you can do a TON of throws and if you've got enough humerus you should be able to trap things with your armpit, which would still allow you to do quite a few throws.

A number of them are possible, assuming you get the timing PERFECT. But that will involve incredible refinement. I'd focus on various types of ashi-waza for the time being, since many can be done with one hand, assuming you're dextrous with your balance and footwork.

My number-one throw is sumi-gaeshi. It's simply perfect for one-hand.

A number of wrestling options are available, but you have to really get used to driving with your head, both forward and to the side.

Armless, sorry I didn't clarify...my arm was amputated above the shoulder, so there's no stump

I'm recovering from an injury on one arm, but for MONTHS I basically fought one handed judo. I ended up working on two of my favorite throws that don't require a lot of work from both arms.

Korean morote: I always end up grabbing the lapel with both hands mid spin, but I've always felt that it's not necessary. I've hit it once where I didn't use the one hand at all.
[YT]4k1dsoPm4pk[/YT]

Eri seoi nage: #'s 6 and 8 in this video. The other arm can be used to help get a bit extra torque by grabbing under the arm as you turn. If you get enough kuzushi, they're going over regardless.
[YT]9yTnOMhxX_4[/YT]

I was going to post the same video as Ippy, OP. Start drilling that Korean Morote. It's devastating to get hit with.

I'd also suggest you practice the fuck out of foot sweeps. There's a guy at my club who does a quick little de ashi braai with a one handed sleeve or lapel grip on me all the time. Drops me like a bag of shit. I think a lot of people ignore ashi-waza to their detriment;

Maybe try hitting some kind of tai otoshi, yama arashi thing from a cross lapel grip, but I'm not sure how that will work out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWmNeSzs_Q

I'd imagine a single leg would be very doable with one arm.

The Korean is one of my favorites, study the mechanics. It breaks some traditional front throw guidelines. It's hard to defend and the spin out is near impossible.
But I've yet to try it in bjj competition with their butt out.

Cross grip snap into a rolling loop choke is doable. If he pops up from the snap ko uchi to a lat drop may work.

Get a tight upright underhook to kosoto to fireman or ude gaeshi.

A lot of moves you may be able to use a part of your body like the clavicle for control.

Edit o uchi might be better as cross grip and o uchi make a x type control.

Last edited:
There was a guy who competed in the Eddie Bravo Invitational who had one hand. He did really good too. Dean Lister student.

Without the gi, high single leg with a leg sweep finish seems like it would be a good choice. In the gi, I'd focus on foot sweeps. Mostly about good timing, not strength. De ashi harai, kouchi gari, ouchi gari, and sasae tsuri komi ashi would all be good tries.

Uchi mata with a whizzer grip might work for you.

They'll be able to post on their arm a lot of the time but if you go into them a little you'll still land on top. Never tried it personally but I've seen it done.

Actually, I'm sure Tim Boetsch has hit it before.

Back