Takedowns to steal a round is a cheap tactic

Whats even worse is when they do fuck all the whole fight and then decide "to bang" for like the last 20 seconds.

fuck off with that shit why didn't you do that earlier!

[ ] "Let me bang, bro!"
[x] "Let me belated bang, bro!"

As I have said before, this is a result of a business decision made long ago. When they wanted to get sanctioned, and they let the politicians (99.999% of whom don't do combat sports) push the boxing point system and round system onto them, it would be a problem.

Pride-style with a 10-minute first round, Pride-style scoring (entire fight), and yellow cards would have created a superior product, but the greedy, short-sighted MMA execs at the time took the quick path.

there shouldn't be judges in the first place and if the fight doesnt end in a finish both get -50% off their purse
Followed by a team pipe hitters to finish them proper for having our eyes witness this dec non sense & for ever dis honoring the JBG

As I have said before, this is a result of a business decision made long ago. When they wanted to get sanctioned, and they let the politicians (99.999% of whom don't do combat sports) push the boxing point system and round system onto them, it would be a problem.

Pride-style with a 10-minute first round, Pride-style scoring (entire fight), and yellow cards would have created a superior product, but the greedy, short-sighted MMA execs at the time took the quick path.

Really though the issue is that theres been little effort to change the rules since that point and I think a lot of the reason for that is that the UFC(who would have by far the strongest lobbying power to do this) viewed them as favouring US wrestlers they wanted to promote.

I don't mean superficial type damage. Cuts and things of that nature. I mean damage that comes closest to finishing the fight. That's what Pride scoring was supposed to do.
So effective striking?

Punches n kicks should be the only that gets scored

Problem solved

Let’s just change the name to SMMA. Somewhat Mixed Martial Arts. It’s not fair to fighters who won’t work on their takedown defense.

Definitely. We should do whatever it takes to help the fighters too lazy to work on their takedown defense.

As opposed to doing whatever it takes to help fighter lay n pray?

How’s that any different than holding the opponent against the cage n doing nothing?

As opposed to doing whatever it takes to help fighter lay n pray?

How’s that any different than holding the opponent against the cage n doing nothing?
I’m not for lay n pray. But if someone is active from the top & attempting to land strikes or advance position. Wrestling is a part of the game. As a mixed martial artist it’s your responsibility to be serviceable in all aspects.

To the people who compare a late TD to a late flurry:
No.
A flurry is through and through fighting (in an offensive manner btw) and it's risky.
A late TD is to win the round since you don't have the time to do much. Most of the times you need to adjust your position even for some decent ground and pound.

I think the Korean Zombie would disagree with that comparison.
X8xpw0f.gif

If the round didn't exist, then the takedown would simply be putting you into an advantageous position.

Obviously then the real answer is to get rid of rounds altogether and make fights a single 15 or 30 minute block; that way the fight as a whole is judged and noone gets free stand-ups through no skill of their own thanks to the bell.

No it's not. Fucking stuff that shit, if you can. If one takedown at the end of the round 'steals it' from you, then you clearly didn't do enough on your end during the round to secure it.

your spinning it...if you let the round be so close that a single take down late can swing the score of that round in their favor you have already fucked up. Stuff the take down. Its not a loop hole, its a wrestling based game plan,take him down without enough time for him to get up, its smart.Quit with this just bleed shit lol
This. The judges are actually better now too. Back in the day a while round could be decided by a takedown. Like one fighter would get his ass whipped then win the round because he got a takedown. That doesn’t happen today. I have no issue with a late takedown being the thing that swings the round in one fighters favor in a round that was otherwise even

Back