Takedowns to steal a round is a cheap tactic

hi-res-98020206-georges-st-pierre-of-montreal-quebec-canada-speaks-at-a_crop_north.jpg
GSP.png

It's honestly gotten a lot better.
Anyone watching circa the 2010 wall and stall era should remember how heavily weighted a late takedown was. It got to a point where it was almost guaranteed to take the round regardless of what happened before. I feel it's not nearly as bad nowadays.

The judges who scored the Horiguchi/Caldwell fight got it right, I'll tell you that much. Only one person was trying to win and finish the fight & it wasn't the guy on top.

I've used this example for years as an indictment of the 10pt system of scoring MMA fights. The 10pt, round by round, system has always promoted points fighting. Nothing is worse than a guy looking at the clock and shooting for a do-nothing takedown with 10-20 seconds in a round thinking it will win it for him.

Start scoring fights as a whole, similar to the way Pride did and make damage the main scoring criteria and you won't see shit like that.

MMA is the only sport that took it's scoring system from a different one, boxing. In boxing they have many more rounds to make up for poorly scored or extremely close rounds.

One was to work through this is to have fights be 5- 3 minute rounds as opposed to 3- 5 minute rounds. It won't stop last minute takedowns. But It will give stand-up fighters more opportunities.

there shouldn't be judges in the first place and if the fight doesnt end in a finish both get -50% off their purse
So MMA should apply rules that would prevent it from being sanctioned in half of the US?

That makes sense

<36>

It's honestly gotten a lot better.
Anyone watching circa the 2010 wall and stall era should remember how heavily weighted a late takedown was. It got to a point where it was almost guaranteed to take the round regardless of what happened before. I feel it's not nearly as bad nowadays.
The newer criteria basically says that that late 10 second takedown is meaningless
Judges are catching up

It's a dumb tactic. At some point judges will actually use the criteria properly

Problems are the rules, not the fighters.

Dana doesn't feel like rooting out the real problem, so he takes it out on the fighters.

and should not be an indication of winning. That said, fighters shouldn't be punished for exploiting loopholes. Judges just need to be more educated and the criteria needs to be more clarified.

How is that a loophole?
It's MMA, not Boxing. It's part f the sport. Just because it might not create direct damage, doesn't mean it's not a form of controlling a fight. If take downs aren't scored, you can't count pitter-patter leg kicks or other soft striking techniques used to wear someone down or set up more significant shots. Even if it's at the end of a round, it's still a successful scoring technique regardless if it leads to a sub or GnP.

You people are ridiculous. You want every fight in this sport to look like rockem sockem robots.

I've used this example for years as an indictment of the 10pt system of scoring MMA fights. The 10pt, round by round, system has always promoted points fighting. Nothing is worse than a guy looking at the clock and shooting for a do-nothing takedown with 10-20 seconds in a round thinking it will win it for him.

Start scoring fights as a whole, similar to the way Pride did and make damage the main scoring criteria and you won't see shit like that.

MMA is the only sport that took it's scoring system from a different one, boxing. In boxing they have many more rounds to make up for poorly scored or extremely close rounds.

This

Pride rules

3 solutions:
A.Grappling Clock: When the dreaded snoozer tactics rears its head, all time slows down so that every 5 seconds on the group transfers to only 1 second of fan time. I minute grappling and we only have to endure 20 real time seconds of it!
B. All Fights 10 10 Minute Rounds: Clears casuals. Best fighter wins. More time to eat Pizza.
C. Fan Tazer Raffle: Some lucky and obviously grappling hating Fan will win a tazer gun with up to 3 shots to zap some electricity back in the cage for those 'oh Im gonna puke Im so bored' Wall&Stalls/Lay&Prays. Now with New and Improved Dagestani Bait Nettm!

So you're upset that some athletes fight with intelligent gameplans? Interesting..

and should not be an indication of winning. That said, fighters shouldn't be punished for exploiting loopholes. Judges just need to be more educated and the criteria needs to be more clarified.
Of course its a cheap tactic...as is holding someone against the fence for a round...but the object is to win in a limited amount of time. Pressure to win is high. You do what you gotta do...if it were up to me, it would not be labeled a takedown unless you take them down and keep them down for 20 seconds...then if you get past the 20 seconds but do nothing but control top position to win the round, you lose that point back.....but as long as there is money involved, and rules, and limited time, and judges to convince, there will always be these arguements.

If the round is close enough that a last second TD will win it, I don't see the problem. Judges have gotten much better about not overscoring the TDs like they did 5+ years ago, so it's not like you can get worked over for a whole round and steal it last second anymore.

No, it’s not. Winning with legal techniques is legal. Just like trying to steal a round with a flurry of punches.

Maybe you should post on your local show sites and not embarrass yourself with teh Dogs.

Back