takedown defense question.

Psalm144 1

White Belt
Reaction score
i am thinking about competing in my first grappling tournament in 6 weeks. i don't have any take down defense, besides sprawling. haha. i know there will be some wrestlers in my class... and i need some advice. or a website that has advice, videos, pics, etc. thanks guys.

Footwork is important as is hand placement, think of it like boxing, keep your hands up, and circle, don't walk into the guy just in case he has some judo in his aresenal. When the match begins keep your posture a little low just in case he is an ankle grabber, if he is learn to get underhooks.

There are alot of takedowns you'll need to be aware of.. It's not just doubles and singles. Train with a wrestler. Nothing beats hands on experience.

Psalm144 1 said:
i am thinking about competing in my first grappling tournament in 6 weeks. i don't have any take down defense, besides sprawling. haha. i know there will be some wrestlers in my class... and i need some advice. or a website that has advice, videos, pics, etc. thanks guys.

In the stand up forum, I made a thread about takedown defense for a striker. There's some basic wrestling takedown defense there. Look for the thread: The Sherdogger's Guide to Keeping it on your feet. Kabuki also has it listed in his instructionals.

Psalm144 1 said:

Why don't we ever hear, "I am thinking about competing in my 1st grappling tournament in 6 weeks. I don't have any submissions, except a Kimura from side control. I know there will be some BJJ practitioners in my class. I need some advice."

Why? Because it is absurd to believe someone can learn good submissions (or anything else, for that matter) in a short amount of time. The same holds true for takedown defenses. Takedown defense is not something that one quickly

Psalm144 1 said:

Why don't we ever hear, "I am thinking about competing in my 1st grappling tournament in 6 weeks. I don't have any submissions, except a Kimura from side control. I know there will be some BJJ practitioners in my class. I need some advice."

Why? Because it is absurd to believe someone can learn good submissions (or anything else, for that matter) in a short amount of time. The same holds true for takedown defenses. Takedown defense is not something that one quickly

Psalm144 1 said:

If you are going up against good wrestlers you dont stand much of a chance. If they get a hold of a leg they'll just keep driving and driving until you go down. Once they are in on you, you dont stand much of a chance with minimum defense.

You should practice getting taken down by training partners, and specifically work on not allowing the person in to side control, keeping them in your guard. And if you really are worried about getting taken down, pull guard.

Im a Gi guy, so I try for some grips. If they give me something I'll take it but if nothing looks high percentage, foot in the hip, pull guard. That way they didn't get two points and get in a more comfortable position.

probably wise to work with what you already have... if you know how to sprawl work on your reaction time... try to explode into your sprawl and really compact the person that is shootting in... then work from there...

probably wise to work with what you already have... if you know how to sprawl work on your reaction time... try to explode into your sprawl and really compact the person that is shootting in... then work from there...

probably would be wise to work with what you already know... if you know how to sprawl properly then work on your reaction time and work on really exploding into a sprawl so that you compact the person and try to take their explosiveness away and then work from there...

of he tries to overpower you then control his jaw, you hill control his upper body, if he tries for the shoot, then the underhooks and a good sprawl, if he goes for teh single put all your weight on his neck, that pretty much all i know.

Sprawl or pull guard ... the reality is that if the other guy is a wrestler/judo guy, these are the only things that will work decently without much training. If not, well maybe you got a shot at taking him down yourself =D

Honestly I'd rather flop right down in turtle position then let a wrestler grab my leg.

if u are worried about a wrestler, work on ur subs from guard cause chances are u won't react quick enough to get a good sprawl cuz trust me he'll def get on top if he's a good wrestler

I'm with Coach Couzo on this one takedown defense is not something your gonna learn in 6 weeks especially against someone who is experienced with wreslting. If you are interested in improving your takedown defense you have to work on few areas, footwork, controlling the head, lowering your stance and control in the clinch. Other than that i would reccomend working on what you know now and getting your conditioning better if you only have 6 weeks. Odds are unless your gonna get a submission or submitted right away you could be in for a long a match. Work on your conditioning cuz your technique won't mean much if your sucking for air or too tired to go on.

i gotta go with the coach on this one as well. however, 3 things that will take you a long long long way and have worked for me are:

1. when you have the collar tie (the hand behind his head in the head and elbow clinch), use your forearm to block/slow down his shot. he has to clear your forearm to get good penetration.
2. sprawl
3. whizzer

personally, i think the most important thing is to have a good strategy. don't try to stop his takedowns in order to take him down...won't happen if he's a wrestler. instead sprawl hard and try to take his back, or look for your favorite submission sequence from the turtle- whatever you want, just don't get into a takedown contest. i like to bait the shot by keeping a somewhat upright posture and just wait for an opportunity to sprawl hard.

Back