Tai Chi

Zac

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okay Ive been browsing the threads and here lately I keep seeing this pop up. Tai Chi. How deadly it is and people on sherdog mock em. They have every right too for someone saying how deadly it is. When Tai Chi is an smooth art Like relax. Its very fluid motions and slow breathing. Ive done probably about three or four cross training sessions in it. It wasn't for me. They're Forums (Katas) are such bs. But for people to say how deadly it is a complete joke. The whole theory of the "death touch" was from the earlier days back in Japan when someone would get hit and no medical attention was there to help the internal bleeding. In todays world its impossible enough said with the medical attention that is here today.

Thoughts?

I have a thought, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Do your research. You took the "death touch" out of context for one, for two the term didn't come from Japan. They don't practice forums they practice forms/sets and it's apparent (to me) that you don't understand the underlining concept of the purpose of forms practice. Like most you get a tiny taste and think you know a thing or two.

Now to answer your question directly any martial art can be deadly in the hands of the right person.

But do not forget Tai CHi is the deadliest of them all so be cool bro and keep ur hands up imagine what happens if they death touch your ear? It like falls off right?

The death touch is so 1970's. Haven't you heard? It's all about the cheese touch these days.

Also, who the hell bumps a thread after two minutes?

I have a thought, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Do your research. You took the "death touch" out of context for one, for two the term didn't come from Japan. They don't practice forums they practice forms/sets and it's apparent (to me) that you don't understand the underlining concept of the purpose of forms practice. Like most you get a tiny taste and think you know a thing or two.

Now to answer your question directly any martial art can be deadly in the hands of the right person.

^^^ HAHA well said.:icon_chee

So I've heard there is combative tai chi but it comes out of those long form movements and take forever to learn then there is supposed to be some ting called push hands but I wouldn't say it's any more effective than other arts though I never trained tai chi a single day in my life.....

I heard you can make someone poop their pants using tai chi.

That made me laugh so ard I almost pooped my pants LOL:icon_chee

Push hand is the basic sparring introduction of Tai Chi Chaun (Grand Ultimate Fist). The slow forms are supposed to force you to perfect the motions of the techniques. When done right at combat speed the techniques can be quite effective and include a wide number of throws, sweeps.

Most schools to day have long since stopped practicing the applied skill sets and have left us with only the flexibility, balance, and restorative aspects of the art.

My first martial art was Tai Chi and I found it to be rather displeasing.

Hi, my name is Chris,a long time Tai Chi ,Bagua and Shuai Jiao [chinese wrestling] practitoner. Push hands,the sparring method of Tai Chi, is more similar to grappling then striking,so it should probably be in the grappling section, but anyway here is myself competing in a push hand competition. I went on to win this comp, this is my first match YouTube - Chris Friedman Push Hands Competition

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Chris,a long time Tai Chi ,Bagua and Shuai Jiao [chinese wrestling] practitoner. Push hands,the sparring method of Tai Chi, is more similar to grappling then striking,so it should probably be in the grappling section, but anyway here is myself competing in a push hand competition. I went on to win this comp, this is my first match YouTube - Chris Friedman Push Hands Competition

Do you have a link to any of your chineese wrestling/shuai Jiao....I'm currious as to what it looks like

scientific literature shows that tai chi has benefits in relaxation, exercise, and even rheumatological physical therapy. pubmed it.

has enormous value in that respect. fighting, not so much.

Do you have a link to any of your chineese wrestling/shuai Jiao....I'm currious as to what it looks like

wizcoolc1 on youtube you can see my vidoes, i have about ten on shuai jiao with my coaches in china,some of the full time wrestlers and a few with myself

wizcoolc1 on youtube you can see my vidoes, i have about ten on shuai jiao with my coaches in china,some of the full time wrestlers and a few with myself

Do they do a lot of ground work or is it mostly throws like in Judo????

Uhh buddy i didnt say it did come from japan I was just using it as examples you act like it was only in one country. Form practicing is what build ur basics trust me i know ive been doing Karate for 7 years.

I read once that Chinese guerrillas used to use it as a combat art... if so, it must actually be pretty deadly

Back