Tabata training without doing SPRINTS

Ted-P said:
It builds muscular endurance.

I think this is the main point of confussion here...doing the sprints is how to get the benefit for cardio (lungs and heart mainly with some benefit towards the legs) but doing it for press ups or thrusters etc (allthough having some benefit for lungs obviously) is more of a muscular endurance drill and effects the muscles and heart.

As I understand it, the idea with Tabata is to reach 170% of your VO2 max (anaerobic zone) by the end of each interval, the sooner the better, and achieve oxygen debt after each 20 second interval. Since most people don

Tabatas weren't actually designed with sprints in mind. Tabata actually used a bike.

Metabolic profile of high intensity intermittent e...[Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1997] - PubMed Result

To evaluate the magnitude of the stress on the aerobic and the anaerobic energy release systems during high intensity bicycle training, two commonly used protocols (IE1 and IE2) were examined during bicycling.

You can use anything that will completely tax your body. If pushups do that, you're working out just fine and as intended. It's about intensity. Sprinting isn't even the most intense exercise you can do.

Damn you's. Beat me to it.

I dunno ... his suggestion sounds pretty damn good.

I read this... then I reread it... then I read it again, just to make sure... you resurrected a thread that's almost 3 years old to say this... are you aware of this tidbit?

The following is an article from T-Mag (one of the best resources on the web), that suggest Tabata training can be done without sprints (squats and thrusters).

TESTOSTERONE NATION

Take a look around the site, especially the archives (been producing great articles on dieting, condition, bodybuilding, strength training, supplementation, interviews, etc.). It is a little bias towards their Biotest supplement line, but nevertheless a great resource.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha

I read this... then I reread it... then I read it again, just to make sure... you resurrected a thread that's almost 3 years old to say this... are you aware of this tidbit?

I was going to say pretty much the same thing oiban

hehehe old thread, apparently in the posts it was said sprinting is not the most intense movement, as a matter of fact it is the most intense movement an organism can do.

Back