Tabata, my weapon of choice...

The Sickness

Ichizoku
Reaction score
Since we have been talking about Tabata so much lately, I thought I would share my favorite excercise to use it with. Try it if you can, and see how dead you are afterward. Box Jumps. Real simple, get off the ground as fast as possible. It's killer. Peace...

i like situps best to this, gets a really good burn going.

pushups are also a good way to death in tabbata

Wrecking Ball said:
Aren't box jumps a plyometric movement?

yes, that is why it would be brutal as hell. same like clap pushups would be a good step-up from normal pushups in tabata, the idea behind tabata is to cranck the intensity as high as you can in the 20 sec. so plyometrics is only the natural next step in the programme

yeah... or adding weight.

Not 100% on this, but I thought 60 jumps in one session, was getting close to over kill with a plyometric movement. How close do you get to that with tabata's?

if your conditioned enough to do 60 jump squats in 8 sets with only 10 second rest periods then it likly wont phase you. thats likly just a warning for noobs who will do endless sets with big rest periods.

not neccessarily. By definition any lift without an eccentric motion is plyometric. It denotes neither intensity, nor load. However, if they're very intense plyo movements, you may be correct. I would assume that it depends on the individual's current level of fitness, nature of the exercise, intensity, etc. etc.

Basically, I think if you're ready to move up in resistance on a movement with tabatas, and you decreased in reps linearly (20 reps your first set to 10 reps on your eighth), you're doing over 100 reps in 4 minute (20+18.5+17+15.5+14+12.5+11+10 = 118.5. yes I know you don't count half reps, I'm assuming nobody here is a machine and is going to decrease in a completely linear fasion. the half reps would be made up in a set here and there). With a high intensity plyometric movement, thet may be a bit much. Whether box jumps qualify, I'm not sure.

in fact, no. I would not reccomend jumping movements with tabatas due to the strain on your joints and risk of injury. it's the same reason I wouldn't do deadlifts in this method. Due to fatigue and the impact of the movments themselves I would restrict them to different rep schemes.

I dont know Yomon...I've trained with some high level coaches, and they advise against anything close to that in one session more than once a week (at least not for the sport I was playing at the time). I suppose if you're switching upper body plyo's with lower body plyo's with a decent amount of rest you'd be ok. Just depends on the individual I guess.

Wrecking Ball said:
I dont know Yomon...I've trained with some high level coaches, and they advise against anything close to that in one session more than once a week (at least not for the sport I was playing at the time). I suppose if you're switching upper body plyo's with lower body plyo's with a decent amount of rest you'd be ok. Just depends on the individual I guess.

well essencial a tuckjump burpie is a plyometric right? can you do over 60 in one sessios and not overtrain? yes, personaly i can doclose to 200 in a single session and not overtrain.

Thats you though, how often do you lift? Not a ton correct? Someone doing squats and some form of advanced spp could find that really taxing. I'm not saying its bad, it seems to be working quite well for you, its just something that shouldnt be applied to the masses in my opinion.

Back