Switching out bench press for ohp

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by moveslikejagger, Aug 16, 2015.

1. moveslikejagger

moveslikejagger White Belt

I am currently doing strength work twice a week to supplement the rest of my training I am doing squats deadlifts overhead press bench and pullups. My problem is I dont have access to a spotter so I really feel like I am not able to push myself with my bench safely. Would it be more beneficial for me to just substitute bench pressing for an exercise like ohp where I can push myself harder without a spotter?

Current:
    Day 1
    Squat
    OHP
    Deadlift

Day 2
    Squat
    Bench
    Pull ups

I'm proposing just switching out the day 2 bench for OHP. I'm really struggling to progress in the bench due to this I'd like to know if there is going to be any real negatives to this?

Thanks

2. felmmando

felmmando Black Belt

Do you really need a spotter to bench press safely? I find I can go relatively heavy on bench and accurately estimate how many reps I can do with a given weight almost all the time. The bench I use has several supports to lodge the bar, so even if I can't come closer to straightening my elbows, I can generally leave it on one of the lower notches. The few times I've come to complete muscular failure, I've simply rested the bar on my chest and called some kind passerby to help me. If you really want to feel safe, you could bench in a power rack.

3. InertiaTraining

InertiaTraining Yellow Belt

There are different schools of thought on the matter, bench press is good because it engages more muscle and allows for heavier loads. You could switch to dumbbells if it was a real mental issue.

That being said, I don't bench, and to me it's not necessary for anyone but powerlifters (or you're looking to make a statement at the NFL combine). OHP will do you just fine as well.

4. Eric Brown

Eric Brown Crusty old bastard

Why not figure out exactly why you are struggling with the bench press?

5. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

What set x rep range are you working in?

6. moveslikejagger

I don't have anyone to spot me

7. moveslikejagger

3-5 reps, trying to hit 5 but I often get to 4 and 80/20 on whether im going to hit the 5th and I dont feel I can go for it without a spotter, thats where the problem lies.

8. Eric Brown

Eric Brown Crusty old bastard

No power rack?

9. NurseKnuckles

NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

Why not change to a different progression? Something a little less linear.

Even something like MadCow or Texas Method can work for a few weeks/months without a spot needed.

10. pokerandbeer

pokerandbeer Green Belt

You don't have to bench. You could do one day OHP and one day of push press.

11. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Learn to do the roll of shame:

Also, the more you bench the better you will get at knowing your limit so if a rep is a real grinder you will know that you shouldn't attempt another rep.

12. dawgpnd81

dawgpnd81 Blue Belt

I find it impossible to get the safety bars in a position where they do not interfere with my attempt yet keep me safe at the same time. Unless you bench with a significant arch, the power rack isnt that great of an option safety wise.

13. cincymma79

cincymma79 Silver Belt

Uh the bars should be well out of the way. Even if they're just at chest height it will take most of the weight of it off your chest and you can just push it down.

14. icffedor

icffedor Blue Belt

this. The more you workout and bench the better you will know when to stop. I've benched by myself for ten years now (mainly because none of my friends lift, especially the older I get its hard to find people that wanna get strong lol), only got in a pinch once, had to roll barbell off my stomach, screwed my abs up for about a week haha

15. spdrew2143

spdrew2143 Blue Belt

Like I've said before, using the safety bars to bench press teaches you it's ok to fail a rep. Long story short, fear is a great motivator.

16. Shokushu Goukan

Shokushu Goukan Banned Banned

Just be a fucking man and do not collar the weights.