Swimming...It Could Leave You With a Brain Eating Amoeba

People who swim in rivers and ponds are gross.

How about lakes, reservoirs, oceans? Plenty of nasty shit in all of those. Do you only approve of man-made swimming holes? Are there no limits to your prejudices man? My God.

I would never swim in a pond or river. Just seems super gross. Sorry if that offends your inner hillbilly. Even public swimming pools are gross. Ocean is a little better than pond swimming but still not nearly as good as swimming in treated water in a clean pool.

Ponds sure but rapid rivers? You crazy. Chlorine is gross.

I'll take chlorine over e coli, shigella, naegleria fowleri, and all the other nasty shit floating around in your river.

Last edited:
You sound like a prissy bitch, and I say that as a woman.

Enjoy your norovirus, disease-causing bacteria, brain-eating amoeba, and all the other little protists and zooplankton that are getting in your mouth and inside your body.

freshwater-plankton-download-aquatic-stock-photo-image-of-flora-pdf.jpg

s41559-017-0145-f1.jpg

giphy.gif

I'll be a prissy bitch and swim in clean water.

I heard it's only an up the nose thing, so it's safer if you wear noseplugs?

I wonder if tubgirl is still alive?

I got a cellulitis infection in my foot from bacteria I most likely got while at a swimming hole. It was brutal, my foot swelled, was incredibly painful, and I spent a couple of days on an antibiotic IV drip in the hospital. The young man in the bed next to me was in even worse shape from ingesting bad water. He had to basically learn how to talk again, and had to be assisted in doing simple tasks by his mother. He almost died.

I still go swimming at swimming holes.

It's a chance occurrence, and that's life. Can't live in fear.

Someone else also in Texas last year got this at one of those wave pools (used for surfing). Although it was concluded it was detected not in the actual water...but somewhere else in the waterpark, but the water quality in the wave pool was very poor.

Nearly two weeks ago BSR Surf Resort in Waco, Texas closed its doors while the Center for Disease Control tested for Naegleria Fowleri, aka “The Brain-eating Amoeba.” The tests were sparked by New Jersey surfer Fabrizio Stabile’s death from the extremely rare amoeba after visiting the park.

A report containing the results of the CDC’s testing of BSR Cable Park’s water for N. fowleri was released today by Waco-McLennan County Public Health District. The report states that although the N. fowleri itself was not detected in the Surf Resort (wave pool), it was identified in the Cable Park. The report also states, “A New Jersey resident who had visited BSR this summer died after contracting the disease. Epidemiologic and environmental assessment indicates that exposure likely occurred at this facility.” Read the full report here.

Despite not finding the N. fowleri in the wavepool itself, the report showed that a presence of fecal indicator organisms, high turbidity (cloudiness), low free chlorine levels, and other ameba that occur along with N. fowleri were found in the water. These are all conditions that are favorable to N. fowleri growth.

Nowhere does the report say that BSR Cable Park was in violation of any type of health codes. The report states that, “The Cable Park may remain open to the general public because the risk of exposure to N. fowleri is considered the same as any other natural bodies of freshwater and is not amenable to treatment.”

BSR Cable Park owner, Stuart Parsons, stated in a press release following the CDC report’s release that the park will remain closed until March, 2019 while a state-of-the-art water filtration system is installed. The press release also states that BSR Surf Resort will have “clear, blue, clean water” when it reopens and that they’re committed to setting the highest standards for safety.

https://www.surfer.com/features/brain-eating-ameoba-waco-test-results/

Back