Swimming and Boxing

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by NASCITURUS, Jul 4, 2005.

1. NASCITURUS

NASCITURUS White Belt

Hi!
    I spoke recently with polish former boxing champion from the 50's (It was a good polish boxing days... heh..). He told me, that in his days, boxers were not allowed to lift weights and to swim. I wonder what is wrong in swimming if you do boxing...? Can anyone elaborate?

2. KungFuPenguin

KungFuPenguin White Belt

I think back in the old days anything besides boxing and running was thought of as being bad for you. A lot of boxing people still think that lifting weights is really bad for a boxer.

3. NASCITURUS

NASCITURUS White Belt

I agree.. I read lots about lifting weight in martial arts. But I never heard anytyhing about swimming...

4. KungFuPenguin

KungFuPenguin White Belt

I just hear that it's good for you because it is less shock on your joints. I tried lap swimming and i think its great for conditioning. I have a shoulder that i hurt during boxing, and it helped it out a bit too. For me, running is easier but last time i ran my shins and knees hurt but it might just be improper form. It also works out that same muscles that boxing does, so it can't be that bad for you.

5. dirk18

dirk18 White Belt

swimming is good for your stamina
    your lungs get stronger etc.....

6. Smash your face in

Smash your face in Banned Banned

That makes no sense. I find swimming is good for my lungs aswell...except when I breath teh water.hehe

7. HBB

HBB Orange Belt

Apollo made Rocky swim laps in Rocky III didn't he?

8. Orsyn

Orsyn Asian Connoisseur

Swimming works most of the muscles in the body, especially when you alternate strokes ( butterfly, freestyle, back and breast stroke). If you can lap swim and stick to a program you can also lose a lot of weight if you need to drop pounds.

9. Guest

See proof right there that swimming is good for ya!

10. KingSnake

KingSnake FREE MAX

They thought a lot of dumb shit in the 50's. It isn't good to swim if your going to spar that day since your arms will be tired, maybe. Best low impact/high result conditioning and gets the lungs strong if you push it.

11. Tiger Balm

Tiger Balm Purple Belt

Haha. Rocky movies are the shit. In Rocky IV he also runs in snow :eek:

12. CHawkins

CHawkins Blue Belt

Anything that improves your cardio is good for you, especially if impact injuries are a concern.

For example, I weigh about 245 right now. I'm built for about 200. Running is PAINFUL to my knees and ankles at this point, so I'm jumping in my pool every other day to put in work. I'm running too, but the amount of running I can do is mitigated by the pain and the injury potential, so swimming takes up where running stops.

Work is work. If it improves your cardio, burns calories, and strips fat off of you, it's worth doing.

13. Brand Nizzle

Brand Nizzle Guest

What? Matt Hughes? What?