Sweet Sweet Muay Thai

Zerocrew1984

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a noob that just started learning Muay Thai. At some point within a couple years I would like to compete in a local Muay Thai competition..and win.

5'11
215lbs
Old log full of fail.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/grip-riiiip-507810/

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Class # 1
20 mins of jump rope-fuck you

then a fuck ton of jogging around the gym with bw exercises thrown in like
jogging, 2 bw squats, jogging, 4 bw squats, jogging, 6 bw squats, jogging, 8bw squats etc. Overall, it went something like, jumps, push ups, shuffling, high knees, squats, punching while running, sprints. I had to walk alot. I was sucking wind really bad. Fuck you cardio.

Since it was my first class, I had one on one instruction with Russell. He taught basic stuff like stance, punches, knees, teeps, and low kick. We then went on to him calling out combinations and again, I started to suck wind hard. It was also a little difficult because I'm more used to hearing the punches called out as numbers instead of the actual punches.

Then we got to practice our low kicks, teeps, and knees on a shield which was fun but we really only worked the right side.

Some stretching and 90 mins down in the books. I'm pretty fucking beat and from watching the actual "beginners" class, it's going to be a lot harder. Time to suck it up and embrace the cardio. I also need to work alot on pivoting fully and popping my hips. I seem to only "half" pivot.

Last edited:
215 lbs? I thought you were supposed to be slim now.

tl/dr

I give this log 1-2 months.
My last one lasted awhile.

Pivoting is key, man. If it's for your Round Kick, check out the 1:40 mark of this video:
YouTube - Drills To Improve Your Rear Leg Round Kick

This type of drill helps a lot.

Good luck with your training!
Thanks for the help man! I need it.

215 lbs? I thought you were supposed to be slim now.

What can I say, I like beer and can gain weight easily.

My calves are wrecked. My quads, hammies and lats are pretty sore as well.

15 mins bicycle
15 mins elliptical
5 mins rowing
20 mins incline walking

pool/sauna/stretching

You're not built for muay thai. But good luck noob.

Don't worry about build, I've seen a lot of Thai Boxing and the winners come in all shapes and sizes. It's not like you bought a ticket to BKK.

Nice sig, btw.

I really want to say somethign postive..........

This log could use more boobs

fat-women04.jpg

and maybe some ass

fat-brazilian-woman.jpg
''

or were you talking about one of these bony unattractive women like this one

catrinel-menghia-lingerie-0.jpg

or this one

DSC_3592.jpg

Class # 2
20 mins skipping- I skipped in intervals this time to not wear myself out so much. I was still dying and had to make my rest times longer but overall this was a lot better than last time.

Did the jog, push ups, jog, squats, jog, high knees etc thing again but this time it wasn't as long as last time and I survived without stopping but barely. Pacing myself on the skipping was a big help.

Partner drills
had to work in a 3 person rotation. Not sure how long the rounds were but had to be at least 3 mins per round. Everything was combinations.

jab-cross-hook-right low kick
30 second break of push ups
jab-cross-uppercut-low kick
30 second break of sit ups
jab-cross-hook-mid kick
now only worked with one other person. This gassed me quickly since it was back and forth now.
jab-cross-uppercut-mid kick
jab-cross-counter left low kick-jab-cross

Then, we had to do this thing where you are at arms length/jab away from your partner and touching gloves. Then you
throw the cross to touch gloves and back to jab so it was jab, cross, jab, cross and you had to try and keep going at a solid pace. This was fucking murder. I think our first round was 3 mins and then break, 2 mins and then break, and finally 1 min and then break.

Finally, we had to run sprints. Up and back across the room counted as 1, got some kind of rest, then 2, etc, the class went all the way to 10. I died around the 3rd sprint. I would end up gasping/trying to recover and then run when I could. I was easily the most out of shape guy there. Other people died a bit and had to jog but me and some other guy were the only ones gasping for their life and having to take a break between rounds.
The teacher said that it's nomal for beginners to be like this and to keep working at it. He stated if anyone was looking to compete, they should be able to finish all the sprints and still have good cardio afterwards.

Things that I noticed today: My pivoting was a lot better and the teacher made a few good comments about my technique.
Pacing myself in the skipping helped out and I will build from there.
The guy I was working with today has been going for 7 months and even he needed some breathers during the partner drills so I didn't feel too bad about myself needing
a few breathers.
I need to work on flexibility, my mid kicks were about as high as I could go and when I started getting more tired, I found my leg going lower and lower. I really need to work on checking kicks. I'm not consistent enough with the the 45 degree angle and my reflexs are slow. I was trying to react to the kick and block instead of just throwing my
shin up as I knew the kick was coming. I'm not sure what is better, reacting or just pulling my leg up and in time my reflexs will adapt? I'll ask next time if I can remember.
My partner mentioned that I was leaning a bit forward with my punches so I corrected that but it's something I will need to remember to work on.

Last edited:
Do you have any fights lined up in your living room or backyard yet?

Do you have any fights lined up in your living room or backyard yet?

I've got to keep training and drinking beer so we'll see what comes up in the next few weeks. I've been viewing a few training logs here for motivation.

Back