Sweden visit

esdoornblad

How soon is now?
@Brown
Reaction score
I will be working in Gothenburg for three weeks (mid-May to early June) and wanted to know if there is a good gym (regular not MMA/BJJ/MT) that is near Chalmers Univ.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Im probably studying there in the Fall, this information would be useful for me as well.

Im probably studying there in the Fall, this information would be useful for me as well.
In fact, I'll probably be there for 3-4 weeks in October/November, too. I'm coming off knee surgery (my third) so was just interested in general conditioning. No interest in checking kicks or defending the kneebar.

I will be working in Gothenburg for three weeks (mid-May to early June) and wanted to know if there is a good gym (regular not MMA/BJJ/MT) that is near Chalmers Univ.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

There are suposed to be two good hardcore powerlifting gyms in Gothenburg, altough I did never really bother to find them in my time there. If you dont mind the expensive corporate bullshit gyms (that isnt "to" bad with american standards) there is a descent SATS high up on kungsgatan (central gothenburg)..

Its unfortunate that you cant do martial arts because there are a few really solid gyms both for mma, bjj, boxing and muay thai.

Well I went and checked an old post I made at a swedish strenght forum when I was still living in gothenburg and looking for a good solid powerlifting gym...

There turned out to be two real hardcore gyms GSK and GKK both is powerlifting gyms... GSK is out at Stigcenter, GKK is at Slottskogsvallen, I know Stigcenter is located a bit outside the city, I am not 100% sure where Slottskogsvallen is but I think it is pretty close to central gothenburg, propably just a few tram stations out or something...

Now if your not allergic to commersial gyms there a quite a few in central gothenburg, and as I mentioned my favorite was a SATS high up on kungsgatan, I trained there myself a year or so and they got enough barbells and dumbells to be happy, definitively not a hardcore gym though, I payed around 400 swedish kronors a month there which is pretty standard in Sweden and not to bad for being Gothenburg...

Edit: and if anybody is interested in martial arts gyms in Gothenburg I can definitively point you in the right direction depending on what your interested in...

There are suposed to be two good hardcore powerlifting gyms in Gothenburg, altough I did never really bother to find them in my time there. If you dont mind the expensive corporate bullshit gyms (that isnt "to" bad with american standards) there is a descent SATS high up on kungsgatan (central gothenburg)
Thanks very much for the information. I will probably stick with the SATS you mention.

Its unfortunate that you cant do martial arts because there are a few really solid gyms both for mma, bjj, boxing and muay thai.
Its tempting but my knee is still a long way from permitting combat sports. I'm not even "allowed" to run. Next visit will be a different story. Thanks again.

Well I went and checked an old post I made at a swedish strenght forum when I was still living in gothenburg and looking for a good solid powerlifting gym...

There turned out to be two real hardcore gyms GSK and GKK both is powerlifting gyms... GSK is out at Stigcenter, GKK is at Slottskogsvallen, I know Stigcenter is located a bit outside the city, I am not 100% sure where Slottskogsvallen is but I think it is pretty close to central gothenburg, propably just a few tram stations out or something...

Now if your not allergic to commersial gyms there a quite a few in central gothenburg, and as I mentioned my favorite was a SATS high up on kungsgatan, I trained there myself a year or so and they got enough barbells and dumbells to be happy, definitively not a hardcore gym though, I payed around 400 swedish kronors a month there which is pretty standard in Sweden and not to bad for being Gothenburg...

Edit: and if anybody is interested in martial arts gyms in Gothenburg I can definitively point you in the right direction depending on what your interested in...

I know its OT but what is SATS like in Sweden? Here they are a little ken and barbie-esque

I know its OT but what is SATS like in Sweden? Here they are a little ken and barbie-esque

Comparing to a good OLY "atlet klubb" or a hardcore powerlifting gym its definitively Barbie gyms, the one I went to in Gothenburg wasnt to bad for being a comercial gym though, the trainers seemed pretty allright and I even got a "Oh your doing REAL training" comment when doing deadlifts there one day so it was pretty descent. I wouldnt plan on doing olympic lifting there, but the powerlifts shouldnt be a problem...

Comparing to a good OLY "atlet klubb" or a hardcore barbie gym its definitively Barbie gyms, the one I went to in Gothenburg wasnt to bad for being a comercial gym though, the trainers seemed pretty allright and I even got a "Oh your doing REAL training" comment when doing deadlifts there one day so it was pretty descent. I wouldnt plan on doing olympic lifting there, but the powerlifts shouldnt be a problem...

Funny you say that because I trained in one once (there to play squash) and got alot of stares when I was showing my friend how to do deadlifts, there wasn't alot of sweat about either!

Back