Social Sweden Stayed Open. A Deadly Month Shows the Risks (Swedish King & PM admit failure)

Ok
There was a thread on this
There is a covid thread
So for 20000 extra deaths up front to have a shorter cycle?

Deaths per 1 million

Belgium- 804
Spain-574
UK-544
Italy-544
France-436
Sweden-399
Netherlands-340
Ireland-326
USA-302

Deaths per 1 million

Belgium- 804
Spain-574
UK-544
Italy-544
France-436
Sweden-399
Netherlands-340
Ireland-326
USA-302

But stupid Trump is killing us!

DisastrousDarkEland-max-1mb.gif

But stupid Trump is killing us!

DisastrousDarkEland-max-1mb.gif

I dont know how many people Trump has personally murdered, but there are other factors to consider such as population density when looking at these statistics.

<Fedor23>

Uh oh another Sweden thread. There are posters here who are will Die on this hill.

Sweden tried a different approach and it didn’t work out as well as they would’ve liked. Their neighboring countries have done a far better job.

Ok
There was a thread on this
There is a covid thread
So for 20000 extra deaths up front to have a shorter cycle?
I believe recent antibody tests have put Stockholm at an equal or lower herd immunity than NYC, like 15%

The U.S. is pretty much in line with the rest of the 1st world Western countries.

Belgium is the country that raises eyebrows. Seems like they're basically euthanizing folk with the coronavirus. Sweden has been accused of that also.

You can't compare the two. The population density is too different.

The U.S. is pretty much in line with the rest of the 1st world Western countries.

Belgium is the country that raises eyebrows. Seems like they're basically euthanizing folk with the coronavirus. Sweden has been accused of that also.

There are only 25 countries with over 100 deaths per million. The US is number 10 and is leading in total deaths. I would say that the US has done a bad job.

at the communist side (china russia) we dont know the real numbers hence there is a potential that they suffer the most
there is also crowdedness, poor health systems, number of high risk individual(old sick people) russia seems to fit all of these

I believe recent antibody tests have put Stockholm at an equal or lower herd immunity than NYC, like 15%
Shit, son, New York's deaths/million is 1507 thanks to Andrew "grim reaper" Cuomo, New Jersey is at 1257, Sweden is at 399.

The rest of the US outside those states is under 200.

Uh oh another Sweden thread. There are posters here who are will Die on this hill.

Sweden tried a different approach and it didn’t work out as well as they would’ve liked. Their neighboring countries have done a far better job.

How do you know this? Sweden is way ahead of the game. In a year we shall see who was right. Less death looms in Sweden.

There are only 25 countries with over 100 deaths per million. The US is number 10 and is leading in total deaths. I would say that the US has done a bad job.

So IF a second wave hits you will be ok with Orange Man taking over poorly run states like NY and NJ?

Those 2 states proved they can not handle the virus so a complete Fed takeover is needed, right?

Basically all of those countries are countries that are comparable to the United States. Belgium, UK, Netherlands, Italy, Sweden, France, Spain, Ireland, Switzerland, these aren't exactly 3rd world countries that are closed societies with poor health care (and obviously questionable reporting).

Among comparable countries, the United States is pretty where you would expect them to be. They obviously haven't done an exceptional job, but unless we are going to call out the majority of the 1st world for having done a poor job, then America hasn't really done exceptionally bad.

I dont know how many people Trump has personally murdered, but there are other factors to consider such as population density when looking at these statistics.

<Fedor23>

ya there’s so many variables that would need to be accounted for. Climate, age of population, cultural norms in relation to how the virus spreads, healthcare, genetics, health etc etc. Economies of scale applies to things like this too. Clearly if you look at the deaths per million it isn’t a straight line relationship between population and death rate. So trying to say the 4000 horrible by extrapolating it to larger population is a bad comparison. Time is another major factor that we can’t even account for yet. It’s possible Sweden’s larger number of deaths are coming on the front end of things.

The comparison to their neighbours is more interesting and valid. But then it should be a discussion of total number vs death rate. and then the debate becomes how many deaths is too many vs not completely shutting society down (both economically and socially.)

Gosh, some of you need to take an introductory statistics class, or at the very least, understand why you can't draw erroneous conclusions like the OP by falsely comparing two non comparable sets of data.

Using your logic:

Russia deaths per million: 25
Brazil.... : 111
China....: 3
Mexico....: 5

I can go on and on and cherry pick data that seemingly shows other countries doing much better than the United States. Many of you would (rightly) point out that those countries are under representing fatalities, # of infections, have a limited # of tests etc.... the same issues with trying to compare the US to Sweden etc.

While I don't mean this to be a political comment, but the US has performed abysmally with respect to preventing and containing the spread of a virus that the country was aware of two months prior. It was like watching a train come towards you, and then making no effort to get off the tracks. Do I believe this is Trump's fault? Not particularly.

The bigger issue is that the American ethos is forged on individulaism, self autonomy, and to a degree, anti-intellectualism. China could crack down on tens of millions of people because they have that type of authority over their citizens, the US does not (and this is a good thing).

My fear is that pictures from Memorial Day celebrations show beaches, parks etc. packed with people. This flies in the face of pretty much everything doctors are advising people to do, and it seems like an inevitability that infections and deaths will continue to rise. Sadly, the country is risking their long term health and safety for short term comforts. Hope your haircuts and malls are worth risking tens of thousands of lives.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...n-top-4000-public-health-agency-idUSKBN23119K

So...for some simple rounded-off math.

Sweden, pop 10 million, 4000 C-19 deaths.
US, pop 300 million, 100,000 C-19 deaths.

If Sweden was as populous as the US, they would be experiencing about 120,000+ deaths
How many people are going to die in Sweden as a result of poverty due to economic shutdown though? We don't have that answer. An extended economic shutdown will have a lasting impact.

Back