Surpassing instructor's rank

Usually a combination... But I'm sure if someone stuck with it long enough, they could become a black belt with just training.

Although, I don't see how you can NOT teach as you get more advanced. Giving advice or tips, or hell, just rolling with lower belts constitutes teaching IMO, since they're learning from you.

Good point.

Cool, thanks a lot. I would be living close to crabriver rd, so Katy's a stretch, but I will check out the other locations. I have never heard of Hoger MMA, and I know SLMMA is pretty new. It's amazing how much BJJ is in "Houston" now.

If you mean the 59/99 Crabb River Rd., SLMMA would be the closest since it's the furthest south.

I still wouldnt think a new black belt(first degree) would be able to promote past brown,im probably just going by schools policy.

First degree isn't what you are when you first get your black belt. My instructor got his black belt 4 years ago, and just last week got his first degree. He can now promote up to a black belt (not that any of us are close).

So how much you train/compete/teach is irrelevant?

I'm sure he meant that it's purely time-based in that it's based on how much time you actually spend training/competing/teaching, not that they're irrelevant. Of course, successfully competing and teaching in an official capacity would definitely shorten the time as opposed to training by itself.

According to the IBJJF the first 3 degrees for black belt require 3 years.

Degree's 4,5,6 are 5 years.

Degree's 7,8 are 7 years (red and black)

Degree 9 is 10 years (red belt)

Degree 10 is irrelevant to those of us that do not have the last name of Gracie.

According to the IBJJF the first 3 degrees for black belt require 3 years.

Degree's 4,5,6 are 5 years.

Degree's 7,8 are 7 years (red and black)

Degree 9 is 10 years (red belt)

Degree 10 is irrelevant to those of us that do not have the last name of Gracie.

So it takes just under 50 years to get a red belt! FIFTY!! D:

Also according to IBJJF you are supposed to be a 2nd degree black belt to promote another black belt.

(source: International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation)

So the time line should go as follows:

Black Belt
1st Degree Black Belt 3 years after Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt 6 years after Black Belt (able to promote your own black belts)
3rd Degree Black Belt 9 years after Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt 14 years after Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt 19 years after Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt 24 years after Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt 31 years after Black Belt (black and red belt)
8th Degree Black Belt 38 years after Black Belt (black and red belt)
9th Degree Black Belt 48 years after Black Belt (Red belt)

IBJJF has their standards, but I know some other lineages (Carlson, I think) follow different criteria.

My former instructor Penao was a 6th degree Carlson BB, but had his BB only for less than 20 years (not totally sure of the exact #.)

There was a big language gap, so I never really got him to explain it. He did says it would be a long time before he became 7th.

Back