Surpassing instructor's rank

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Jango, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jango

Jango Yellow Belt

This doesn't apply to me (I'm still a probationary blue belt lol), but I've been wondering what happens after a student gets very close to reaching the same rank as his instructor.

In this specific situation, the student is a very high level brown belt who does extremely well in competitions and such, and recently relocated and started training under a newly-made black belt. Can he expect to be promoted to the same rank in the future? Or could he test under his instructor's instructor?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. Mike Mesey

Mike Mesey Amateur Fighter

I was under the impression that new black belts can only promote up to brown belt level.But schools differ and i may be wrong.

3. Jango

Jango Yellow Belt

That's the thing, he wasn't promoted under this new instructor, but relocated into the area.

4. Mike Mesey

I still wouldnt think a new black belt(first degree) would be able to promote past brown,im probably just going by schools policy.

5. crashingtide

crashingtide Yellow Belt

they can't promote past brown, besides that, he can't promote crap unless he himself is given professor status (we are talking bjj right?).

What he CAN do is train/test under his instructor's instructor and get his black belt. I'm sure it'd also mean a hell of a lot more than getting it from a newly made black belt

6. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Do you train out in Richmond? I will be living their eventually, and I am looking for a good place to train. The closest places I have found are near the beltway.

7. Jango

Jango Yellow Belt

Thanks, that's what I was thinking... And the instructor does have professor status.

8. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

IBJJF says you have to be a second-degree black belt to award someone else a black belt. But not everyone follows the IBJJF.

I think if you're a high level brown belt and you relocate, you should probably keep in touch with your original instructor and go visit him from time to time because you would probably still want to get your black belt from the guy who gave you your brown. Ideally the two schools would have the same affiliation, i.e. both Gracie Barra or whatever, so there aren't awkward questions when you come in to your local school with a new black belt on.

9. SuzukS

SuzukS White Belt

Well technically only Second Degree Blackbelts and above can promote people to Blackbelt so I suppose in that situation the Brownbelt would perhaps grade under the instructors instructor. That being said, I don't think that rule is taken THAT seriously as I'm sure many Blackbelts below Second Degree have given out Blackbelts before.

Case in point: I know for a fact Terere was below Second Degree when he promoted Cobrinha to Blackbelt in 2005.

10. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

new black belt means not even first degree. you're first degree when you get your first stripe on your black belt. according to IBJJF that takes at least 3 years.

11. Jango

Jango Yellow Belt

I train at Sugar Land MMA, since it's a 8 minute drive from college. The instructors there are Joe & Jason Soliz and Chad Kight (side note: none of them are the instructor I was asking about). Great place, don't have enough good things to say about it.

Other good places in the area:

Elite MMA
    Heights BJJ - Marcos Cerqueira
    Hoger MMA
    Westside MMA (Katy area)

I've tried the first two, but in the end stuck with SLMMA due to location/price/people. Hope that helps :)

12. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

If your instructor and yourself both are promoted under a higher BB in your case and your instructor is already a BB and you are promoted to BB, you will still never catch him. Each stripe is received in 5 year increments. So even if he is a BB only one day before you, he will receive his rank one day before you for the rest of his BB rank, since it is time based. In this case you can only equal him, never surpass him.

13. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Ryron Gracie is a 5th degree black belt at only 28 years of age, so apparently BB degrees are not always time-based... :icon_neut

14. Mike Mesey

You are right,i meant you cannot promote till 2nd,i messed up.

15. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Black belt degrees earned by teaching, training, or competing? Or a combination?

16. Jango

Jango Yellow Belt

Usually a combination... But I'm sure if someone stuck with it long enough, they could become a black belt with just training.

Although, I don't see how you can NOT teach as you get more advanced. Giving advice or tips, or hell, just rolling with lower belts constitutes teaching IMO, since they're learning from you.

17. gannas

gannas Green Belt

Yes they are but what you forget is that they have been doing this since babies. Although in the case of Ryron it does seem fishy. Then again they sell jiu jitsu belts online so who knows. Most other Brazlian instructors I have personally seen have followed the time= stripe at black belt. My instructor doenst wear his belt with stripes, he wears a plain black belt.

18. SuzukS

SuzukS White Belt

It is purely time based.

19. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Cool, thanks a lot. I would be living close to crabriver rd, so Katy's a stretch, but I will check out the other locations. I have never heard of Hoger MMA, and I know SLMMA is pretty new. It's amazing how much BJJ is in "Houston" now.

20. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

So how much you train/compete/teach is irrelevant?