• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Law Supreme Court makes watergate legal? President now has near immunity

as we discussed before, it's a judicial problem if it's not ruled on according to the constitutional order. and that's actually the bigger issue. because a dude can be president for 8 years and get away with 2-3 things. but a rogue supreme court could get away with anything forever.
This entire sack of shit is a judicial issue because it never should have touched the SC. Every single President in our history has operated under the assumption of criminal liability. It only became a problem the one time, really, with Nixon. It's beyond outrageous that the SC is now suddenly parsing out immunity and laying the ground work to insulate the Presidency from criminal proceeding.

This entire sack of shit is a judicial issue because it never should have touched the SC. Every single President in our history has operated under the assumption of criminal liability. It only became a problem the one time, really, with Nixon. It's beyond outrageous that the SC is now suddenly parsing out immunity and laying the ground work to insulate the Presidency from criminal proceeding.
That's weird because most legal scholars are saying that presidential immunity for official acts has always been assumed just never tested. While you are saying the exact opposite, that immunity for official acts was never thought of before now.

"Every single President in our history has operated under the assumption of criminal liability."

<{MingNope}>

How would you go about it given the current t circumstances?

Not sure. Maybe term limits? As much as I don’t like some current rulings, I sm not in favor of continuing to add justices because first, it would be like adding three, then the next potus would add a few more for their side to gain the upper hand. Soon, we would have 27 justices.

That's weird because most legal scholars are saying that presidential immunity for official acts has always been assumed just never tested. While you are saying the exact opposite, that immunity for official acts was never thought of before now.
There's never been anyone that got the courts to seriously entertain the concept outside of the regular application of the idea for any government official, and certainly not the President. Nixon tried and fell flat on his ass. Again, every single President for our entire history has operated on the clear assumption of criminal liability. Every single one.

The entire point of having a Supreme Court is they should need to deliberate, to convince each other of their perspectives. This was the nature of the adoration Scalia had for Ginsburg, because she was actually successful in getting him to see different perspectives despite his being beholden to the absurdity of originalism.

If we have a Court that is incapable of constructive deliberation, of making sound legal cases for an issue, then the Court is illegitimate for that reason already. And we keep getting rid of Justices until we find ones capable of this.

I agree, but I still see justices voting along party lines for the most part. Roberts will occasionally vote against his party, but I don’t see many others doing that. I can’t recall the liberals voting against their party in recent memory. Same thing with Thomas. And it’s becoming very clear that justices are being bought same as congress and none of these greedy bastards would ever change that

...for official presidential acts. not every thing a president does is an official presidential act. why don't people understand this?

An act can be official and illegal at the same time... this new ruling gives immunity for illegal acts. For instance, the president could decide to jail, or "disappear" an American citizen under the guise of it being for national security.

It seems like it's time for a constitutional amendment on presidential powers.

Democrat's immediate response to this is "holy fucking shit! this is so scary! imagine what Trump is going to do with this power once he's in office!!" - It's already baked into their assumption that the current president will not use the immense power that the SC just handed him.

The supreme court just handed Joe Biden the authority to go and black bag Donald in broad daylight and disappear him onto a US black site. But of course, as always - Democrats absolutely fucking refuse to wield power in order to accomplish their goals. They let the "senate parliamentarian" tell them that they can't do student debt relief in one of the covid relief packages. Obama had a supermajority in congress and refused to enshrine Roe v Wade into law.

Democrats are willful accomplices in the fascist power grab that is happening in this country. Completely abdicating the use of power when democracy itself, the health of our air, water and children, the safety of women, are all at stake and the country is facing doomsday, is not simply being an ineffective politician - it is being a willful accomplice. God damnit I hate the democratic party so much.

Whoa, whoa, slow down. First they need to get rid of this "lifetime" shit. When the President doesn't even get that luxury, something's a little off. I'm fine with appointments being made, but for God's sake, why is it for life? You could theoretically have a Supreme Court that's like four generations removed from the current generation. Think there might be ideological differences that comes with that? And it's not like they have to worry about making unpopular decisions and getting ousted.

Is a ten year cap too much to ask? That would keep a healthy revolving door of bi-partisanship, unless one party just ran away with every election for like forty fuckin' years or some shit, which is HIGHLY unlikely, but even if so, at least the people would be somewhat voting for those appointments.
That's a fair call. Serious term limits on appointees.

Democrat's immediate response to this is "holy fucking shit! this is so scary! imagine what Trump is going to do with this power once he's in office!!" - It's already baked into their assumption that the current president will not use the immense power that the SC just handed him.

The supreme court just handed Joe Biden the authority to go and black bag Donald in broad daylight and disappear him onto a US black site. But of course, as always - Democrats absolutely fucking refuse to wield power in order to accomplish their goals. They let the "senate parliamentarian" tell them that they can't do student debt relief in one of the covid relief packages. Obama had a supermajority in congress and refused to enshrine Roe v Wade into law.

Democrats are willful accomplices in the fascist power grab that is happening in this country. Completely abdicating the use of power when democracy itself, the health of our air, water and children, the safety of women, are all at stake and the country is facing doomsday, is not simply being an ineffective politician - it is being a willful accomplice. God damnit I hate the democratic party so much.
You should probably get back on the weed bro, your posts are getting more and more unhinged by the day.

You should probably get back on the weed bro, your posts are getting more and more unhinged by the day.
I love how you never have anything to say but personal attacks. There was absolutely nothing unhinged about that post.

I love how you never have anything to say but personal attacks. There was absolutely nothing unhinged about that post.
You apparently forget what people post anyway, so why would anybody bother?

You can't take criticism at all, lol.

You're unhinged. You revel in the fury of American tribalism. You'll always be a slave to it whilst you shake your fist in the air.

An act can be official and illegal at the same time... this new ruling gives immunity for illegal acts. For instance, the president could decide to jail, or "disappear" an American citizen under the guise of it being for national security.
No it doesn't and No he couldn't, not with impunity. Where are all of you getting this? It's the same thing on heavy rotation. Read the thread. You're like the 20th dude saying the exact same thing.

The King is Dead,

Long love the King!

"I have just pissed in my pants, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it!" - Major Fambrough

"I have just sh*t in my pants, and there isn't anything anyone can do about it!" - Trump 2024

Back