supplements that deal with recovery

Ruick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
heres the deal, alot of days last year afterwrestling practice i came home tired as hell, too tired to do any hw (which is bad) and i just felt like sleeping (.. at 6pm). what kind of minerals or what can i take this season to help with that?

I would recommend a good protein supplement (whey powder, etc) for muscle recovery, and a good multi vitamin for overall health.

My $.02

yeah, if your muscles can't feed, they can't recover. and protein is muscle food. so basically, what cyclic said. ZMA is also supposed to help, but i read somewhere on here that you're not supposed to take casein and ZMA at the same time.

Look at your carb intake and what type of carbs. It may be to low for the amount of work you are performing. Do you eat anything before wrestling practice? Multivitamin? Do you drink enough water?

A good protein isolate. You might also want to look into BCAA's , and perhaps L-glutamine.

Just get a good diet going. You'll adapt to the load, if you don't then you might be going a bit overboard. The biggest thing might be just getting a full nights sleep.

well i'll admit last year i had a bad diet. this is what im going to be eating:

144 lbs
5-11 height
16 yrs old

Oatmeal Breakfast (6:30 am):
oatmeal & milk with Banana
multi vitamin

Snack (9:00 am):
1-2 hard boiled eggs

Ham Lunch Sandwich (12:00 pm):
2x whole wheat
4x ham slices
1x yellow cheese
Shredded lettuce
2x tomato slices

or

Chicken Breast Tortilla (12:00 pm):
Wheat tortilla
1x yellow cheese
Pieces of chicken breast
Shredded lettuce
A few tomato slices
No fat ranch dressing

Pre-Practice snack (2:15 pm):
3:1 ratio apple juice / water drink mix.

Wrestling Practice (2:30 pm):

Pre Workout (5:00 pm):
homemade protein bar

Workout (5:15 pm):

Post Workout Shake (6:00 pm):
whey protein
Banana
Milk

Meat + Rice Dinner (7:30 pm):
whole chicken breast, turkey or fish
steamed veggies & brown rice

Before bed snack (10:00 pm):
some low fat cottage cheese

now some questions. whats casin? is that in the whey protein? what exactly is bcaa and glutamine good for?

coach, what other carbs should i eat before practice?

Load yourself with protein............... JKing

If you don't have the weight limit to worry about, eat a lot of good carbs with decent amount of protein and fat.

The carbs will help you recover and restore your glycogen supply.

STarting eating bitch!!

It's imperative to get a good night sleep too.

CoachB40 said:
Look at your carb intake and what type of carbs. It may be to low for the amount of work you are performing. Do you eat anything before wrestling practice? Multivitamin? Do you drink enough water?

Coach is right, up your carbs.

Mix that diet up some too, you dont want to burn yourself out on it or you wont stick to it. Eat some chicken salads, tuna sandwichs, whole wheat pastas. Cheat every once in a while also, not too often but you are only human.

Thats fine for prepractice, actually that whole list looks pretty good, except you need some more carbs (I do not know your what you baseline caloric intake needs to be this may not be enough) . If you are hungry at practice you may want to eat a little more at lunch.

Whey protein stays in your system for less time than casein. Whey approx 90min, casein approx 7hrs.

BCAAs are branch chained amino acids. The body uses to help preserve muscle during strenuous activity. Your body doesn't make these amino acids, but they can be found in dairy. red meat, whey, and eggs.

Man who put this white belt on me I want my black belt back :D
Glutamine is what I take. Try staying away from big meals, I eat a like 5-6 short meals a day too not make me sluggish, but keeps enough fuel in my tank all day.

L-Glutamine, Whey protien, different gingsengs, I took a green tea supplement once and I felt like the energizer bunny during practice.

Brand Nizzle said:
I took a green tea supplement once and I felt like the energizer bunny during practice.

it was probably the caffiene.. did u get a 'decaffienated' green tea supplement? :D

supersudo said:
it was probably the caffiene.. did u get a 'decaffienated' green tea supplement? :D

haha yeah I figured it was probably the caffiene. I take the decaffienated green tea before I go to sleep.

Brand Nizzle said:
haha yeah I figured it was probably the caffiene. I take the decaffienated green tea before I go to sleep.

i dunno about u.. but the green tea "tablets" taste so extremely HORRIBLE!!.. makes me not want to even take it.. next time i'm getting capsules.. that shit's so nasty! :D

Green tea has only about 3% caffeine, which is fuck all really, you could drink a cup or 2 before bed and sleep no worries.

glutamine,zma.

take some zma, wait about 45 minutes. eat some cottage cheese, protein power, and glutamine and get a good night sleep. should help with recovery.

Back