SUMO - 2024 Nagoya Basho (July 14th - July 28th)

Takakeisho needs a win tomorrow more than I realized. If he loses, he'll fall from Ozeki and need 10 wins in September. Takakeisho hasn't gotten double digit wins since last September. I don't think he's completed all 15 days since last November

Kirishima at 5 losses cannot take another loss down the stretch if he wants to regain Ozeki. If he does, he'll have to reach Ozeki the hard way

3 people currently in second with a 9 - 3 if all 3 lose tomorrow and Teru wins, the Yusho race is over

Nephew out. Injured his hip. 2 inconsistent Ozeki remain. I feel like Kotozakura has a habit of breaking in the final 5 days.

Terunofuji vs Takanosho tomorrow
Onosato vs Churanoumi

Really impressed with Churanoumi this basho. Both he and Wakatakakage should move up a decent amount in Sept.

Takakeisho has done well to survive at Ozeki for so long when he gets winded in the first 10 seconds of the match, but i doubt he makes it back now, unless he has like 5 opponents pull out on the morning of their match.

Terunofuji's basho to lose, and as awesome as it is to see him regain his throne, it just shows how unfit the Ozeki are to be Yokozuna when they lose to a guy who two months ago wasn't even practising due to the amount of pain he was in.

I desperately need Hakuoho and Takerufuji to get to 100% health again and start trouncing these pretenders.

Day 13 -

Bonus vid of lower division Yusho matches (Daiseizan went life and death with Asanoyama a few years back) -

Since Hiradoumi is going to be a fixture for a while, i was looking at his data and what i found gives me confidence he's World War 2 incarnate as a sumo wrestler - born April 20th (Hitler's birthday) in Nagasaki.

Takanosho has had a shockingly good basho, culminating in his easy victory over Terunofuji today. He's up against big Ono tomorrow though.

Takakeisho gave up before the tachiai vs Kotozakura it looked like. Shame, but kind of understandable. Kotozakura vs Terunofuji tomorrow.

Since Hiradoumi is going to be a fixture for a while, i was looking at his data and what i found gives me confidence he's World War 2 incarnate as a sumo wrestler - born April 20th (Hitler's birthday) in Nagasaki.

I actually had a WWII fun fact about Hiradoumi in my OP. He's had a great first basho at his new rank.

Great returning bashos for Wakatakakage and Endo. Surprisingly good bashos for Churanoumi and Hiradoumi. Absolutely dreadful bashos for Waka bro, Takakeisho and Kirishima considering who they are. Amazing basho for Takanosho regardless of not getting the Yusho. Really good basho from promising rookie Shodai too.

Congrats to Terunofuji on a thoroughly deserved 10th Yusho, and congrats to Takanosho, Onosato and Kotozakura on beating him and actually looking like top Ozeki, as opposed to the disappointing performances we've had from some people these past two weeks.

Another great basho overrall in my opinion, especially with the Yokozuna looking a cut above, but still being beaten by those in form. Lastly, shoutout to my boy Hakuoho who hit a beautiful Utchari today to end 11-4, absolutely chef's kiss by the gorilla.

Special Prizes
Shukun-sho - Onosato
Kanto-Sho - Takanosho
Gino-Sho - Hiradoumi

When Kotozakura beat Terunofuji, the way he fell. I though for sure he'd lose that play off but his body held up really well.
Hoshoryu must be furious, a shot at a playoff gone.

Back