SUMO - 2023 Kyushu Basho (Nov. 12th - Nov. 26th)

BIg Tsurugisho lifting Mitakeumi like he weighs next to nothing is impressive.

Well, Daieisho absolutely creamed Takakeisho!

Great showing by Atami, can't be mad about losing to Kirishima.

Kirishima taking the lead.
Atamifuji got nervous, it was clear after that matta.

If Keisho and Atomic win, we get a playoff. Otherwise, Kirishima Yusho
F_zHX7UboAAcgtV.jpeg

Onosato vs kotoshoho gets me a little more excited than the main event of the top division where the Mongolian should score a convincing victory over the tired angel.

I have been impressed with midorifuji's performances like previous bashos. I thought one of the bouts would win him "performance of the basho" award (from me) until Ura used psychic powered pull-down on takayasu.

well we have the Kiriyusho.

sumo starts looking more normal, this year all tournaments were taken by yokozuna or ozekis (hoshoryu made ozeki one could argue even before the last day of the tournament).

compared to 2022 when you had abi, tamawashi, wakabigbro, inchinojo winning

Last edited:
Wonder where this puts Kirishima on a Yokozuna run
Will a January yusho be enough?

Wonder where this puts Kirishima on a Yokozuna run
Will a January yusho be enough?
he'll need a convincing 13-2
12-3 yokozunas have a slight uncertainty about them.
doesn't help he had a kadoban to fight through just months ago.

BUT, they are desperate to have a new one. Terunofuji is obviously never coming back, he's just paid to exist at the moment.
so yeah, come to think about it, if he wins it i think he'll get it.
he already is the second guy in sumo imo, so ....

Special Prizes
No shukun-sho
Kanto-sho - Kotonowaka, Atamifuji, Ichiyamamoto
No Gino-sho

Yokozuna deliberation committee (YDC) held a periodical meeting on Monday. Here's some announcements they made.

- All board members agreed that a yusho or equivalent result in January shall promote Kirishima to yokozuna.

- if terunofuji fails to compete again in January, a written statement will be issued to suggest options.

- YDC chairman said "we strongly demand JSA executives and Tatsunami stable master to advise Hoshoryu to improve his Tachiai. JSA's chief publicist, shibatayama oyakata (former yokozuna onokuni) added "some false starts are inevitable. But the way Hoshoryu manipulates the timing of Tachiai is just obnoxious."

Yokozuna deliberation committee (YDC) held a periodical meeting on Monday. Here's some announcements they made.

- All board members agreed that a yusho or equivalent result in January shall promote Kirishima to yokozuna.

- if terunofuji fails to compete again in January, a written statement will be issued to suggest options.

- YDC chairman said "we strongly demand JSA executives and Tatsunami stable master to advise Hoshoryu to improve his Tachiai. JSA's chief publicist, shibatayama oyakata (former yokozuna onokuni) added "some false starts are inevitable. But the way Hoshoryu manipulates the timing of Tachiai is just obnoxious."
Lot on the line in January. I think Kirishima can do it

Is it just me or does anyone else not really care about Kirishima? Don't get me wrong we need another yokozuna desperately but I just can't get too excited about yokozuna Kirishima.

The rikishi I'm a fan of currently in terms of consistently rooting for them to win matches are probably:
- Takakeisho
- Shodai
- Takayasu
- Hokuseiho
- Aoiyama if he ever makes it back to makuuchi

And then in terms of finding their matches exciting/entertaining and/or occasionally rooting for them, I'd add Terunofuji, Hoshoryu, Abi, Ura, Tobizaru, and Midorifuji.

Is it just me or does anyone else not really care about Kirishima? Don't get me wrong we need another yokozuna desperately but I just can't get too excited about yokozuna Kirishima.

The rikishi I'm a fan of currently in terms of consistently rooting for them to win matches are probably:
- Takakeisho
- Shodai
- Takayasu
- Hokuseiho
- Aoiyama if he ever makes it back to makuuchi

And then in terms of finding their matches exciting/entertaining and/or occasionally rooting for them, I'd add Terunofuji, Hoshoryu, Abi, Ura, Tobizaru, and Midorifuji.
Do you actually look forward to Hokuseiho?

As for Kirishima, I feel he'll slot into a Kakuryu position as Yokozuna. I like him but he doesn't have that same level of supreme dominance that you'd get from Hakuho, Harumafuji or even Terunofuji when he's able to perform his best Sumo. But I think Kirishima will break through to the top rank while others struggle to get it done

Can anyone ELI5 the elder stock system? Chris Sumo says it might be what's keeping Terunofuji from retiring, but I didn't understand the intricacies of it.

Do you actually look forward to Hokuseiho?

As for Kirishima, I feel he'll slot into a Kakuryu position as Yokozuna. I like him but he doesn't have that same level of supreme dominance that you'd get from Hakuho, Harumafuji or even Terunofuji when he's able to perform his best Sumo. But I think Kirishima will break through to the top rank while others struggle to get it done
Yeah I legitimately find Hokuseiho's matches interesting and entertaining. He's got such a weird, awkward style, especially the way he goes for one-handed sideways grips or the way he will just lean on people for forever.

He had several bad matches this basho where he got bullied by smaller rikishi really easily which makes me wonder if he has some kind of injury but I'm rooting for him to continue improving his unique style.

I never saw Kakuryu compete unfortunately as he retired before i started watching. Hakuho's last zensho yusho was when I got into it. I had heard something about how Hakuho was the Lebron James or Michael Jordan of sumo and that got me curious.

Back