Sugar Ray eonard's diabetes

attestedplum

White Belt
Reaction score
So I recently heard that Leonard had diabetes. When was he diagnosed? Did he actually compete whilst he was a diabetic?

Do you know which type?

I can't see anything about him having Diabetes but his father did and Sugar says that the medical bills his family had to pay were part of what got him to go professional. He also does a lot of charity work for Juvenile Diabetes.

I never heard that, never. I'll check online but he seems to always be in perfect health.

I never heard that, never. I'll check online but he seems to always be in perfect health.

when you are d/x with type 2, you are generally in decent health still. If you dont keep it in check, THEN it gets bad.

Unless it was diagnosed late, and all of a sudden you experience Diabetic Keto acidosis or something, or a wound that turns gangrene and doesn't heal. But just being d/x as predictable or type 2 can happen from a routine glucose screen.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sugar-ray-leonard/diabetes-prevention_b_2356846.html

Whole story is in the link.
-----
I faced some tough opponents throughout my career in the boxing ring. It took the perfect combination of punches, resilience and an enduring commitment to become a champion. Today, the U.S. is facing a hard-hitting opponent of its own -- diabetes. This disease is testing our nation and could deliver an economic body blow if we fail to act now.

That is why Congress must renew the Special Diabetes Program (SDP) for multiple years. Because of the SDP, scientists and researchers have made significant progress in understanding diabetes and are helping us envision a world where there are not only better ways to treat this disease but also ways to cure and even prevent it......

Guys his name is "Sugar". It was bound to happen.

Type one is usually auto immune (insulin dependant) where as type 2 is usually associated with obesity. Type one is the worst but it all depends on the individual and how good their control is. You want to keep a good HB1 though to prevent complications.

That article doesn't indicate that he had it himself.

However if you want to look at a Boxer who had Type 1 diabetes throughout his career, look no further than a former Leonard opponent, Wilfredo Benitez.

To train at that level and compete in the sport of boxing with Type one diabetes. I can tell you now, that is unbelievable. I'm also type one.

can you prevent yourself from having type 2 diabetes ?

You cna start by avoiding obesity and think about moving now and then

That article doesn't indicate that he had it himself.

However if you want to look at a Boxer who had Type 1 diabetes throughout his career, look no further than a former Leonard opponent, Wilfredo Benitez.

ya, i didn't see anything saying he had it. Ray has taken damn good care of himself once he's kicked some of his coke and alcohol habits. Many, many old fighters got to pot when they retire and a lot go to pot between fights. Sugar Ray Robinson, once his mental health began to fail, physically began to deteriorate because his infamous discipline was no longer there, he had diabetes, and then black people have the highest rates of high blood pressure, with the possible exception of my people.

^ that's racist !

i hope you're joking, it's a fact, statistically, i think it may also be a fact that native americans (my people) have even worse rates for high blood pressure and definitely worse for just about everything else. Long story short, whether we like it or not, the european diet, the lifestyle doesn't particularly suit us. I should know, I have a black stepdad who had high blood pressure since his mid thirties, ate way too much pork (I did too) salt etc.., If it's racist that's your label, it's obvious I didn't mean it that way and doctors don't either when they try to raise awareness. People need to know. I've already put my brother and myself on notice for high blood pressure, diabetes, very good chance we'll get them.

what's even more ironic is that diabetes is called " sugar " in some languages

hahaa what i was thinking

ya but you know what? It's a common reaction, white people get very defensive, sarcastic, smark and smartass so I couldn't tell. Most of the time you say something and the reaction with white people is way off anything you'd expect, so they are hard to figure.

ya but you know what? It's a common reaction, white people get very defensive, sarcastic, smark and smartass so I couldn't tell. Most of the time you say something and the reaction with white people is way off anything you'd expect, so they are hard to figure.

Damn white people.... :icon_conf

Back