Successful MT/KB fighters with the worst hands?

TonyK

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Who are the Kickboxers/MT fighters (mostly MT fighters probably) that have/had success without showing much boxing technique or showing a sloppy one (offensively or defensively) relying heavily on the other weapons they had?

Remy Bonjasky Comes to mind out of the heavyweights

Buakaw, his boxing was terrible and still is not top 20 in his weightclass.

Wanderlei seemed to win a lot of fights by walking into punches and winging his own. So I guess he was a MT striker who mainly used his hands effectivley but with poor technique. I guess he used alot of knees and stomps too. Not sure if he fits what your looking for...ah fck it i give up on this post.

Remy Bonjasky Comes to mind out of the heavyweights
I think not only out of the heavyweights, but P4P as well. He really sucked at throwing punches, but had great knees and kicks. He had great defence against punches though.

I don't agree with Buakaw. While it's true that he didn't really use his hands much in the beginning of his K-1 career you can't dispute the fact that he later on out-boxed boxers.
Then again, if K-1 hadn't changed the rules he wouldn't have had to work on his hands since he would have won every MAX tournament with his knees and kicks..

I agree with Buakaw, the dude's phenomenal but his boxing is definitely his weak point.

Obviously JBJ.

He has outstanding kicks but his hands compared to his kicks are terrible.

I see right crosses, a straightened lead hand with fingers out, and an occasional jab from Jon Jones but we can see a million oblique kicks from him in 2.1 seconds but he looks awkward when boxing.

Bonjasky is my fave heavyweight but his slaps made me laugh. He didn't need to punch though because his kicks and knees were amazing

Lol at people mentioning mma fighters. They are far from the level of pro kickboxers and shouldnt even be brought up in this thread. Just cause mike goldberg calls them a "muay thai kickboxer" dont mean shit

Lol at people mentioning mma fighters. They are far from the level of pro kickboxers and shouldnt even be brought up in this thread. Just cause mike goldberg calls them a "muay thai kickboxer" dont mean shit
You're right, there's a reason I opened this in the kickboxing part of the forum :)

Although, there are some exceptions.

Despite being a bit to stiff I think Buakaw got pretty good hands. KO power , fast , stiff jab and a good left hook.

[YT]iijaInvi1tU[/YT]

Buakaw isn't that bad in punching, his defense against punches is a little bit less though.

Remy's uses his legs much better than his hands to attack. He still managed to score a KD against the Kingpin/ Schilt in their last fight.

Francisco Filho - no question, absolutely worse hands ever witnessed by a successful K1 fighter. I'd say it was miles worse than Remy. If it wasn't for his natural fighting instinct (best instinct in K1 imho) - he would've been exposed clearly as the fighter with the crappiest hands - lot's of power though & shins of steel.

Andy Hug would also be another notable mention - although I'd say that he wasn't the worst, but pretty bad.

Back