Substitute for dips in 20 rep squats

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by LZD, Sep 14, 2010.

1. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

What exercise would you recommend switching out for dips in the traditional 20-rep squats program if they aggravate your shoulders?

What other exercises can you do with the 20-rep squats program?

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Bench?

3. BoxingFan123

BoxingFan123 Purple Belt

Cable or DB flys

4. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Would you use a sets reps scheme or something? I don't know, benching 3 times a week with 3 sets to failure seems a little like overdoing it.....

I know people rail against modifying programs, but would it be possible to modify it like this:

(bold parts replace dips and chins)

squat 1x20
    bench 3x5
    row - 3x5

squat 1x20
    MP 3x5
    chins 3xF

squat 1x20
    bench 3x5
    row 3x5

5. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

Assuming you're doing the circuits as prescribed in the original super squat program just do three sets to failure or twenty reps (whichever comes first) on bench. If you hit twenty reps increase the weight next time. How hard is that? Bench isn't somehow magically so much more strenuous than dips that it won't work with the same loading parameters. Just do it.

6. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

And don't replace chins, wtf are you thinking?

7. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

Yeah I'd go ahead and keep the chins the way they are.

8. Revok

Revok Brown Belt

Tends to be the only people who think they ought to modify the 20 repper program are people with zero experience of the 20 repper program. Believe me, you will not be capable of 5 rep sets after the squats. It's a program for rapid hypertrophy and the high rep upper body stuff is a part of that.

9. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Ha. You're right, I am a complete noob. But the reason I suggested 3x5 Bench was the amount that people jack in a circle over SS here and hate on higher rep stuff.

Being a noob I didn't realise bench would be comparable.

The other issue with chins was my lack of bar to use at home, but fuck it, I am making my own.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

10. Oblivian

Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

The two lifts that I have made the most progress on recently are Push Press and Squats. On Squats, I am doing a 20 rep squat set every other week. On Push Press, I was doing a 10 rep max effort set every week. High rep work definitely has it's place. A shitload of people run the 5/3/1 where you end up doing a high rep top set. I do have to say that I am not a huge fan of high rep work by itself though. I think you should also be working a heavy, low rep day on any lift that you are also doing high rep work. Anytime that I've ran a high rep program without heavy, low rep work, I always seem to crumble when upping the weight for a low rep set. My projected max will be MUCH higher than my actual max because I'm not used to handling the heavy weight.

11. Miiiiiiighty

Miiiiiiighty Silver Belt

There is a reason why theorically the sets of pullover are long , and the dips and chins are to the max after the squat .

And that reason is max hypertrophy ( via among others pump and blood flow ) . So given the fact that you are a noob you would be well inspired to follow the original program not an hybrid SS with Squat and milk .
    You will have the time to do SS or Bill Star later , chose a well proven program/routine and stick with it .

12. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

Just to be clear: I don't want to do a hybrid program. It's just I can't do dips. But thanks, you are right.

13. PariahSmithee

PariahSmithee Yellow Belt

Why not get your shoulders right first...can you OHP?

14. TrainingAdict

TrainingAdict Orange Belt

Don't do 3v5 for bench unless they are on off days or days when you're not doing 20 rep squats.

You're better off doing 3v8 or 2v10 and work up.

I know higher rep stuff gets crapped on a ton here, but your 3v5 will be absolute garbage after a set of 20 rep squats.