Substitute for bench press ...?

FELLA

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Just wondering what would be the best alternative.

I can only usually go to the gym during my dinner break and have no partners/spotters (the gym is empty at this time and my normal partners have joined an expensive gym full of romos) and I don't really want to be lift heavy on my own in case something goes wrong but I want to increase or at least maintain my strength.

What other exercises are good for chest strength, preferably something that doesn't require assistance ...?

Thanks

db bench press
weighted dips

Does your gym have a power rack? If so, you could do heavy BP there w/o the need for a spotter.

If not, listen to rEmY and try to work in some standing OH pressing.

Cheers guys

No power rack, it's just a small basic gym (tagged on to where I do my Thai & BJJ). Has bench press, lat pulldown, tricep pull down, squat rack, leg extension, lots of dumbells ...

FELLA said:
Cheers guys

No power rack, it's just a small basic gym (tagged on to where I do my Thai & BJJ). Has bench press, lat pulldown, tricep pull down, squat rack, leg extension, lots of dumbells ...

What does the squat rack look like?

A.
squat.jpg

or
B.
power.jpg

I do heavy standing OH presses in a rack similar to A. You can do bp in B.

Would it be possible to get someone who you train MT/BJJ with to lift with you?

Or! you could get even more ghetto rigged.

If I train BP alone, I just don't clip the plates in. If you get pinned, you can unload the barbell. I'm not saying it's the quietest, safest way to train, but it works.

Dude freaking dumbells, -atleast- as much benefits as a benchpress, if not more! Then as already mentioned the overhead press is propably a more important lift for athletisism anyway so thats another one. Then there is always bodyweight, perhaps you are not to strong yet for one armed pushups, so either way lots of options for you mate!

Squat rack looks like option A, might start doing OH presses instead as I've always like them.

Just my understanding to improve overall body strength was to do the 3 basic compound exercises Bench Press, Dead Lift and squat ...?

Dumbells are an option but the max they have is 40kg pairs.

Im sure that there are a whole bunch of people in here who could agree to change the benchpress to oh press on that list of compound movements. And there would be some people who would disagree. But no need to start to exclude things, just shake it up a bit...

dumbbells? You've got lots of options.

incline, flat & decline flyes,
incline, flat & decline dumbbell presses, touching at the top
incline, flat & decline dumbbell presses, same width up the whole way
incline, flat & decline dumbbell presses, alternating. it will work your core and stabilizers alot.
incline, flat & decline dumbbell presses to simulate close-grip bp
overhead press, arnolds...

that should keep you busy.

Like Everyone Else Said Def Dumbell Press, In Fact I Dont Even Use A Barebell Very Painfull Shoulder Injurys Ofetn Occur Bench Pressing

Every lifter should learn how to dump a bad squat and how to dump a bench press.

I have a power rack at home but didnt set the pins one day ( because I'm a moron) and had to dump what should have been a pr bench. I had to push the bar down my body (crushing my nut sack :) ) and onto the floor.

Dumping a bad squat is more then just dropping the bar...

I workout alone all the time. I never have a spotter, I've also dropped bench press in favor of overhead press and really found that I like it more. I do however include close grip bench and incline bench in my routine, and the reason is the former is a harder bench and if I get stuck I can adjust my grip and crank out the last rep, and the latter is an easy bench to unload once you let it roll down to nutsack crushing height (all you do is stand up).

You've really got to watch the nutsack crush.

Foulsmeller, when you talk about dumping a bad squat, you're talking about dropping the unclipped plates off, right?

HULKAMANIA said:
You've really got to watch the nutsack crush.

Foulsmeller, when you talk about dumping a bad squat, you're talking about dropping the unclipped plates off, right?

I hope that's not what hes talking about... :eek: You'd ruin your knees if you were dumping anything heavy. I've never squatted outside of a rack, so I have no experience, but I'd dump the weight backwards while moving my body forward.

I have no spotter and i lock my door when i workout really heavy :D Sooo maybe im playing with death :D

PatrikX said:
I have no spotter and i lock my door when i workout really heavy :D Sooo maybe im playing with death :D
I used to do the same thing... well not heavy but heavy for me... now i just ask my mom to do it...

its actually better so you can go all out.

I workout alone at home. It would be lame if I died with uuuuh.... a 120 lbs. barbell on me lol.

FELLA said:
Just wondering what would be the best alternative.
What other exercises are good for chest strength, preferably something that doesn't require assistance ...?

As stated in other posts:
Weighted Dips (if you are too weak, build up to them)
Dumbell pullover
Go get a swiss ball and do pushups from them, or off a dumbell.. anything unstable
Dumbell bench / dumbell incline bench

OR, join a gym with a smith machine...

Fella,

I would suggest buying an army duffle bag from ebay (about $25), gets some 20 lb bags of play sand from Walmart ($1 a piece) and a couple rolls of duct tape. Wrap each bag of sand with duct tape and start loading your duffle bag. With this bag you can adjust the weight by adding/subtracting sand, and do many different exercises. To address your question, I would say to do floor presses with the sandbag to simulate bottom guard. It will allow you increase your upper body strength with an unstable, more functional movement and add a core component.

Hope this helps...

Back