Subnautica

I mentioned it in the underrated games thread.

There's been a lot of these open world explorey crafty type of games in the last few years, but Subnautica really stands out from the crowd. Excuse the pun, but the exploration and the environments are really out of this world.

The fact that it's underwater, and an alien planet, means it's got environments completely unlike any you've ever explored in video games. It's dark, it's spooky, it's got giant alien sharks...... it's probably really cheap right now with the steam sales..... highly recommended.

Never played this before, just got it free on the Epic site, will give it a bash! Heard lots of good things.

One other thing bugged me about the game. There really doesnt seem to be any reason to build a second base. It takes a huge amount of time, effort and power and no real gain. I tried making one as a sort of "charging hub" for my cyclops but it was pretty time consuming. It'd be nice to be able to invent some sort of teleportation or even auto-ferry system so you could mine stuff near a base and teleport it to your home location.

Downloaded it for free the other day and played it for a bit. Seems pretty interesting so far; does the combat become really difficult with predators once you venture outside of the shallows/kelp forest, or is this mainly an exploration and resource preservation game with the occasional alien barracuda?

Bought it for $0.00 after perusing this thread and will give it a go later.

Figure even if it's not for me it's worth a shot for free.

Downloaded it for free the other day and played it for a bit. Seems pretty interesting so far; does the combat become really difficult with predators once you venture outside of the shallows/kelp forest, or is this mainly an exploration and resource preservation game with the occasional alien barracuda?

Ummmm....I guess the best way to say it is its definitely not a combat oriented game. However, there may or may not be things that will kill you rather easily. But you eventually get more options to deal with them.

It's not really a combat oriented game. It really is a very, very well done survival game. To beat the game you have to overcome some extreme environments and that is the primary challenge.

Back