Submissions in someone elses guard?

WhoDis

White Belt
Reaction score
Ive been to two bjj classes now and im sore as dog shit and dont know what im doing like normal. Ive been rolling with white belts and all they do is flop on their back into guard and wait for me to leave my arms out there for an armbar or get me in a triangle. I know i have to really work on getting out of guard but are there any really good and easy submissions i can do stuck in guard?

Easy? If you're really strong...

"Good?" Nope

Attemping a Keylock if you're twice the guy's size and he doesn't know how to move his hips might work but if those conditions don't apply prepare to get armbarred

There's also a can opener but that ALSO leaves you open to getting armbarred...not to mention your classmates will hate you for trying that (and using it in a sub is banned in competition)

O and there's leglocks but i don't suggest fucking around with them unless someone has officially taught it to you (and if you're doing BJJ nobody should anytime soon...)

But you're better off learning how to pass...and posturing and putting your hands in a SAFE place before that. Attempting to Sub from guard is just going to hinder your learning progress

100% right. Anything you can do can be easily escaped/countered by anyone non retarded. Spend your time working on important stuff, like passing the guard.

You'll be far far better served learning how to pass the guard first.

thanks everyone. sucks being a newb but i will learn. Im going to try to watch some guard escape videos on youtube and try to surprise people on monday, well hopefully. i learned watching and actually doing are two very different things this week.

You'll be far far better served learning how to pass the guard first.
QFT. Learning how to open and to pass guard is IMO one of the most imporant things in BJJ.
Forget about trying shitty subs from top guard.

i pass on this thread until u can pass closed guard. jk, but really u gotta be able to pass.

ALL you should be thinkin about is guard passes and triangle/armbar escapes.

the first 6 months of training is basically learning how not to get trapped/tapped all day every day

its after that, that you learn the good stuff submissions

If you are learning where not to put your arms and how to keep good posture to avoid being submitted while on top, you are doing well for your second class. Don't worry about submitting anyone.

Trying to learn stuff from youtube at your level is probably going to mess you up. You are not going to get all the details right. Hopefully your instructor will teach a guard pass to you soon and you can work on that until you get it perfect.

thanks everyone. sucks being a newb but i will learn. Im going to try to watch some guard escape videos on youtube and try to surprise people on monday, well hopefully. i learned watching and actually doing are two very different things this week.

why do you want to surprise anybody? who cares? Really dude you're a white belt and a brand new white belt at that. Just go to class and learn and you'll be fine.

I always have problems with ppl saying someone flops to guard and then complaining about getting armbarred and triangled.

If you are that concerned with being in someone's closed guard pull guard on them first. I've only ran into three people that thought they could submit me from my closed guard, 1 was a catch wrestler that came to BJJ to show us how dominant he would be. the second and 3d were spazzes that thought more about the tap then learning. FYI all 3 no longer train with us.

work on breaking guard and keeping posture, and then worry about passing. Then learn to pass, and if you can pull guard on them, if their strength is their guard then force them to learn top game.

Ive been to two bjj classes now

I have nothing constructive to add that is not common sense so here goes: *rant on*

You have TWO FUckING CLASSES, any white belt with a month or more is gonna sub you your first week. Jeezus fucking dogshit.

Can you imagine "Man I got two whole golf lessons and I still can't drive the ball 350 yard, maybe I should watch some youtube videos in how to swing a club"

Take your asswhoopings like a man. Stop whining, your not the next BJ Penn. Sorry.

*rant off*

Ive been to two bjj classes now and im sore as dog shit and dont know what im doing like normal. Ive been rolling with white belts and all they do is flop on their back into guard and wait for me to leave my arms out there for an armbar or get me in a triangle. I know i have to really work on getting out of guard but are there any really good and easy submissions i can do stuck in guard?

No.

Just to add something for the TS. When passing guard you have to progress through the following stages.

- Open the guard
- Control the Legs
- Control the Hips
- Control the Upper Body
- Begin the pass
- Settle into position

If you're failing to pass, figure out where you fail and fix it. This may take a decade to get the hang of.

I have nothing constructive to add that is not common sense so here goes: *rant on*

You have TWO FUckING CLASSES, any white belt with a month or more is gonna sub you your first week. Jeezus fucking dogshit.

Can you imagine "Man I got two whole golf lessons and I still can't drive the ball 350 yard, maybe I should watch some youtube videos in how to swing a club"

Take your asswhoopings like a man. Stop whining, your not the next BJ Penn. Sorry.

*rant off*

not whining jackass. trying to learn and get better anyway possible. Thats why i politely tried to ask those with more experience on here what to do. I thank those people and will follow their advice. where the fuck did i say i was bj penn or any good for that matter you puppet cock?

I saw a kimura type shoulder lock done, I believe by Paulson, when he is in your guard he feeds one arm behind your back up to an arm over your shoulder and pulls up hard to explain but if you have a guy trapped it can be quite painful

not whining jackass. trying to learn and get better anyway possible. Thats why i politely tried to ask those with more experience on here what to do. I thank those people and will follow their advice. where the fuck did i say i was bj penn or any good for that matter you puppet cock?

u didn't politely ask shit. u came here dogging on your training partners for playing closed guard who were looking to counter your mistakes and your inability to pass them. then you wanted to know if there was a way to make them pay for it with some shitty in-guard subs instead of doing what i'm sure your teacher told you to do, which is to open that guard and pass. i can already tell from your attitude that you will most likely quit after a month.

dude i was just asking a question because i dont know shit about it. i was only trying to learn. i did not mean or try to offend anyone in the process. I thought his was response was a little rude. I am new to all this and was just trying to get advice of people who have been there. He put me down for no reason while the other members of the board answered with helpful information.

okay, i asked a dumb question. i wont bother wasting my time in the future. geez.

Back