Submission puke

Cash Bill 52

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was watching a video of the guy I lost to at the Pan Ams. He goes by the Geeza. He seems like a nice guy. I didn't realize that he competed so much. He has a website and everything.

Anyway, this is a video of a match he had with Ray Elbe ( I think he's a pro fighter )

Weird submission, butt scoot, and yes, puke...

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7qTY1c0zd0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7qTY1c0zd0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

yeah that's an odd one, and i'm not sure how i would react to a guy vomiting on top of my head.

I think the description of this showed up in a thread here a year or two ago. My recollection was that the hurling didn't count as a submission and the match continued after the mat was cleaned. It's possible that it was a completely different incident though.

Ever since then I've thought about the possibility of my opponent hurling every time I've used that submission.

Atleast he didn't do knee on belly, made the guy shit himself.

I hate it when people sit down, wrestle dammit!
I quess he ate too much before rolling..shit happens..in this case puke..

876398087a3524243171b388466194m.gif

I hate it when people sit down, wrestle dammit!
I quess he ate too much before rolling..shit happens..in this case puke..

876398087a3524243171b388466194m.gif

i hate it when people whine all the time about how other choose to compete.

I sense a little guard jumping hostility. In the face of so much success I don't understand how you could discount guard jumping as a strategy. The real geeza seems to do ok with it. Kron, Galvao, I've said this before; They all "go to guard."

From now on any time I go to guard I will call it a flying triangle. If I don't get it at least I have him in my guard.

My own thread is kind of making me sick. That dog humping, puking, and chowing is disgusting.

Koala Crush for the win!

And by the way, that wasn't really 'guard jumping', that was butt scooting in a deliberate attempt to avoid standup grappling. Jumping guard is legit, butt scooting is no better imo than a wrestler who scores takedowns then backs out of guard to avoid the ground game.

butt scooting...On his website he said something like, if you had worms like me you would have to butt scoot.

I think the other guy is a pro fighter with wrestling experience. He's mid forties. I guess there is a difference between going to guard and butt scooting. Instead of scooting you could stand up and walk toward your opponent and then sit. Butt scooting is still advancing, or not?

I usually go for the takedown. But if I can't win that game I am not afraid to go to guard. When I go to guard I am usually looking for a sweep or submission immediately.

The Diaz boys never wrestled in high school. Their strength is off their back. (Sorry Cesar if I am divulging secrets) They seem to be able to win fights from that position.

We also have jake and Gilbert who are all about the takedown and passing guard.

Balance is the key. Sorry if I got snappy before. It just seems that some people are very anti guard.

You never hear people say I'm anti clinch.

Well I'm anti jab. Be a real man and use crosses and hooks only. Maybe a haymaker.

My opinion:

It's only pulling guard if you can touch your opponent when you do it - ie, you can either pull them down with you, or throw in a long-range butterfly hook and grab a heel etc. Otherwise, I think butt scooting is stalling, and is something a 1-dimensional grappler does to avoid a major aspect of the sport. As I said, it's not much different than a wrestler who only wants to get takedowns, then pull away from guard and return to standing.

Nothing wrong with jumping guard. Butt scooting is ridiculous though. Get that shit out of here.

Koala Crush for the win!

And by the way, that wasn't really 'guard jumping', that was butt scooting in a deliberate attempt to avoid standup grappling. Jumping guard is legit, butt scooting is no better imo than a wrestler who scores takedowns then backs out of guard to avoid the ground game.

I've just heard it referred to as an underhook ribcrush. It's the body version of the teepee triangle. That's still disgusting though. I'd be pissed if someone puked on me rather than tap.

It just seems that some people are very anti guard.

You never hear people say I'm anti clinch.

Well I'm anti jab. Be a real man and use crosses and hooks only. Maybe a haymaker.

Therer aren't many people anti guard. But this is the only sport where you can actually eliminate a way to score just because you are bad at them and have no repercussions.

Imagine if you played football and your opponent had a good fieldgoal kicker, but you didnt have one. You cant just decide to take the field goals down. You learn to work around your weakness or lose points.

Imagine if you played basketball and your team was bad at three pointers but your opponents were good at them. I KNOW, lets erase the three point line when they get in range that way we dont have to improve our shooting game!

Or baseball! How about we don't pitch to people who can hit hard!

In all of these games there are ways to get around these weaknesses, but they all involve some kind of sacrifice to balance things out. BJJ doesn't have it which makes the takedown rules silly. Can you think of any sport that has optional points?

This is where the guard pullers come out and say "This isn't football, this is BJJ and those are the BJJ rules!:mad:"

Fine, I acknowledge that. But those BJJ rules make BJJ players one dimensional.

[/hijacking]

Therer aren't many people anti guard. But this is the only sport where you can actually eliminate a way to score just because you are bad at them and have no repercussions.

Imagine if you played football and your opponent had a good fieldgoal kicker, but you didnt have one. You cant just decide to take the field goals down. You learn to work around your weakness or lose points.

Imagine if you played basketball and your team was bad at three pointers but your opponents were good at them. I KNOW, lets erase the three point line when they get in range that way we dont have to improve our shooting game!

In all of these games there are ways to get around these weaknesses, but they all involve some kind of sacrifice to balance things out. BJJ doesn't have it which makes the takedown rules silly. Can you think of any sport that has optional points?

This is where the guard pullers come out and say "This isn't football, this is BJJ and those are the BJJ rules!:mad:"

[/hijacking]

I think the rules might favor guard players. However, the last two world champs Xande and Roger both have good stand up. I saw the match in 06 when Xande won with a judo throw with the time almost out.

If you can't get the takedown and punches and kicks are not allowed, how can you mount an offense? If you get a high percentage of submissions from guard then it would make sense to put yourself in that position.

The small guy with the good guard is what this sport is all about. A sweep gets you the same points as a takedown.

Some guys at our school like to joke that their best takedown is a straight right hand. That would be some rule change. (allowing punches while standing)

Moving the goal posts, the three point line, the size of a hockey goalie's pads, the rough at the US Open, different baseballs, astroturf ...they're always changing the rules.

[/hijacking]
In basketball or football, you improve your DEFENSE. In baseball, you improve your pitching to prevent a hit. Buttscooting I can understand (Marcelo "buttscoots", you know) but jumping to guard is no different. Just like your reflexes, speed, and sprawl can stop a shot, you can defend against a guardpull (let's pretend that's a word).

It's obvious that people with wrestling backgrounds have the biggest problem with people pulling guard. Understandably so, but this isn't wrestling, and jumping to guard is part of this game.

Back