Submission Holds Are A More Definitive Ending To A Fight Than KOs

No disrespect to subs at all but a walk off, full unconscious KO is by far the most definitive possible.

The only thing that stops them from being literally killed after a KO is the REF there to stop him by pushing the agressor out of the way, othersiwe the KOed guy would just be brutally killed, there´s nothing more definitive than that.

It is a shame the ref has to pull them away though.

I respectfully decline to take that position. A walk off KO is the bees knees.
A walk off KO or any KO can happen by accident. You don't accidentally tap out/beg for mercy from your opponent.

Don't you mean "subs are so omega"? Your Greek isn't as proficient as you seem to think it is. You won't just admit your knowledge of Greek isn't at a level at which you should be using it though. Admitting failure hurts too much. You have gone a long way towards proving my point for me though. A submission is the only ending to a fight in which a man is forced to admit he surrenders to the better fighter.

Maybe? What's Omega mean in this context
Beta and bitch both start with B, so I used that word. Cause going for a sub in a fist fight ain't alpha. Bet Soup.

Everybody is jumping the gun here

I think TS is referring to TKOs (think Martin Kampmann vs. Paul Daley)

in many cases (aka any Hendo fight aside from Vitor) Hendo gets ktfo 2 or 3 times then comes back and merks lol

Plus submissions do really make the guy say "I quit"

However, with all that being said, when someone is laid out cold, it is equally as dominant. Flash KO's are much more common than "flash subs" so theres an argument for that but still its pretty even

As we've seen over the years, standing TKOs or "early stoppages" don't always mean the fight is over and thats what TS is probably rambling about. Where as subs are basically decisive

Then why does his thread title say KO's?

1. Clean, unconscious KOs
2. Submissions
3. TKOs
4. Decisions

A submission is the only ending to a fight in which a man is forced to admit he surrenders to the better fighter.

what is tapping to strikes then?

wouldnt THAT be the best?

1. someone "said uncle", which is very important to you.

2. a sub may not hurt, but simply be inescapable.

if you are tapping to strikes, you ARE hurt.

In real life you aren't fighting for a win. Your fighting to hurt your opponent. Nothing will lead to hurting him more than taking his consciousness. It leaves him prone to death. Which is way more final than a broken spirit or broken arm.

You're suggesting UFC fights take place in sone alternate reality separate from "real life." I'm only discussing what is. We live in a society in which self defense is a perfectly legitimate claim for fighting someone. However, continuing to pummel an unconscious adversary until he dies is not protected by the claim of self defense. The killer would be sent to prison and since most people consider a long prison sentence to be highly desirable, only a few homicidal maniacs would continue to pummel an unconscious opponent until he dies.

henderson-vs-bisping-knockout-o.gif

Pretty Definitive Ending......

You're suggesting UFC fights take place in sone alternate reality separate from "real life." I'm only discussing what is. We live in a society in which self defense is a perfectly legitimate claim for fighting someone. However, continuing to pummel an unconscious adversary until he dies is not protected by the claim of self defense. The killer would be sent to prison and since most people consider a long prison sentence to be highly desirable, only a few homicidal maniacs would continue to pummel an unconscious opponent until he dies.

Your entire premise is questioning which leads to more finality in a scenario unbound by the rules of combat. I'd say leaving your opponent in a state where he's prone from everything from submissions to death is the apex of finality, way more so than saying " i give".

Don't you mean "subs are so omega"? Your Greek isn't as proficient as you seem to think it is. You won't just admit your knowledge of Greek isn't at a level at which you should be using it though. Admitting failure hurts too much. You have gone a long way towards proving my point for me though. A submission is the only ending to a fight in which a man is forced to admit he surrenders to the better fighter.

slide_317276_2917102_free.gif

Submissions are awesome but a ko is as decisive as it gets. All finishes of course are key

Alright one more thought on the matter. If you are talking a 'real' fight than there are lots of techniques you could use to defend yourself from a submission that you can't use in the UFC. Get knocked out and you failed at defending yourself already. Many tko's would shortly be KO's without ref intervention as well. Thx for playing.

For the few people still unconvinced that a submission is a more definitive ending than a KO, just remember these two words: "No mas"!

It was incredible the amount of media coverage the ending to the fight between Sugar Ray Leonard and Roberto Duran was. The amount of shame and derision helped on Duran was absolutely far greater than an ending of any fight in a knockout between comparably popular boxers. Fans were used to seeing knockouts but for a boxer at that elite level to submit got attention far above and beyond what a knockout would have gotten. The way Duran lost is a great example of the saying "Pain is temporary but pride is forever."

We've all seen instances in which a fighter was knocked out and then brought back to consciousness by another punch after the one which yielded the knockout. In these cases the fighter wants to continue once that next punch brings him back to consciousness. His will to fight has not been broken. To break the spirit of a man to the point at which he can no longer stand the pain and gives up is the most definitive ending and in addition, the most humiliating ending to a fight.

Alright one more thought on the matter. If you are talking a 'real' fight than there are lots of techniques you could use to defend yourself from a submission that you can't use in the UFC. Get knocked out and you failed at defending yourself already. Many tko's would shortly be KO's without ref intervention as well. Thx for playing.

You think UFC fights are fake? I'm guessing you're just trying to explain the difference between a UFC fight and an actual ho holds barred fight but lack the mental acuity to do so. If I'm right, now you know how to explain what you were trying to explain.

You're welcome.

Fans were used to seeing knockouts but for a boxer at that elite level to submit got attention far above and beyond what a knockout would

I like how you answer the why as you're framing what happened. It got all that attention specifically because it was unprecedented.

Back